• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Apple Joins the rest of the computing world, gets slapped with two of the three worst Anti-virus makers of all time (Norton and McAfee) . News at 11.

#22 Edge

Edge

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

Well as a Mac OSX gets more mainstream it will prone to attacks. Just as what happened to Windows and still does to this day. Linux if it gets real popular will also get virus attacks. Good job Apple to admitting that your users get a antivirus

#23 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

GUYS! THIS THREAD IS INACCURATE!!!

http://community.win...v-software.aspx

Apparently, apple was referring to MacOS (yes the old classic mac), and not MacOSX. They have also removed the kb article.

About Macs and AV software

I’ve gotten a silly number of emails from people regarding a recent story where Apple was purportedly recommending that Mac users install multiple anti-virus (AV) solutions. This was seen as pretty humorous, I guess, given the Mac’s security aura and the fact that many of Apple’s commercials deal with supposed virus problems on Windows.

But I didn’t post anything.

And today comes news that it was all a mistake.

"We have removed the KnowledgeBase article because it was old and inaccurate," Apple spokesman Bill Evans, told Macworld. "The Mac is designed with built-in technologies that provide protection against malicious software and security threats right out of the box.”

So here’s the thing. If you actually read the original note, it referred to “Mac OS” not “Mac OS X.” Apple never refers to Mac OS X as “Mac OS.” So this read like it was referring to the company’s classic, pre-OS X operating system. Which, apparently it was.

Also, I would say that while I don’t use OS X regularly anymore (who would with Windows Vista and 7 around?), I would never install AV on that system, ever. And that’s true even if I were using it 24/7. It may not last, but for now at least, Mac users don’t need AV. That’s the simple truth.

Put simply, I didn’t post about the original AV story because I didn’t think it was newsworthy. Funny, maybe, but then it didn’t feel right either. And I guess it wasn’t.

Edited by comedy_guy, 03 December 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#24 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

^ That whole "Mac OS isn't Mac OS X" thing is a complete lie! Steve Jobs probably didn't want word to get out that Macs ARE susceptible to virus attacks now.

Bad move Stevie... Now the hackers will increase their numbers... And people will find out the hard way (when their $5,000 Mac Pros crash) that you lied... Very bad move...

#25 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

And yet another -1 for mac :)

I don't see how fitting in as average (with actually less viruses than windows no matter how you look at it) gives it -1... If anything it'd be +-0 or only +.5.

There are viruses for the three operating systems, none escapes: MAC, Linux & Windows.

There are more. Solaris, BSD, Unix to name a few.

Personally... I will never use a virus scan on my Mac, I never use one in Ubuntu, and I run it disabled most of the time on WinXP. I've never gotten a virus. *knocks on wood* I just don't do stupid things. I DL and visit trusted sites and take care of my computers. :D

#26 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

one word:yay
those annoying mac fans can't say that anymore

#27 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:56 AM

Every OS has viruses. None are immune. It all depends on the user's knowledge. If you go around and google "free software" and download every other thing, then yeah you will get some.

And I'm working on loading up a VirtualBox of XP with spyware and viruses again :D It really is a challenge, even though I don't have AV, firewall, IE security turned off. I really don't know how people get so much malware :no:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!