[help] multibooting win 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 12padams

12padams

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:35 AM

OK i have windows vista home premium with service pack one installed which i bought around February last year.
I want to multiboot windows 7 build 6801 which i have downloaded.

My whole hard drive is 288 gig. I have one partion or whatever it is called which is my whole hard drive.
It has my vista installed.
I want to install windows 7 without corrupting or losing any vista files.
I have 100 gig left. If a split the partion of vista into a 188 one (with vista) and then install windows 7 build 6801 on the left over (100) will it work without corrupting any of my vista files.
Is it possible that when i split the partion with vista on it it will split up my files on my hard drive. Like will vista be split up on the 2 partions then once that happens i install windows 7 on the 100 gig then it screws everything up.

I just want to make sure when i do this thing my genuine windows vista will be safe and will not be corrupted.

I also would like some advise while installing.

A small tutorial would be nice.

Also tell me any risks or things bad that could happen . Like what to avoid.

Thanks 12padams

#2 tweakwindows

tweakwindows

WinMatrixian

• 79 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:48 AM

You need to take caution during the the making of new drive from your existing (one) drive.I think after that all procedures are normal..I have been using both Windows 7 and vista in dual boot without any problem..

Use some good software like Partition magic to spit the volume which also gives lot of options if you go wrong as well..Good luck!

#3 12padams

12padams

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:24 AM

Ok thanks for the software advice... Partition magic

Only one problem i googled Partition magic and went to the wikipedia page.

I don't think it works on vista... heres a quote "The program runs on Microsoft Windows operating systems (only 2000 and XP, not Vista) "

so theres my problem...

Any advice

#4 Frank2d

Frank2d

Elite WinMatrixian

• 205 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

Use EASEUS Partition Manager. You can download it from here

#5 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

Paragon Partition Manager works good :)

Been Dual-Booting for a while now (Win7 and Vista Ultimate.)

#6 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Download GParted found here. And burn it as a live CD. Then shrink your existing partition then go grab a coffee because it takes forever to change partition sizes (well depending on the size).

Use EASEUS Partition Manager. You can download it from here

@Frank(please remove the2s)
Okay why did you end up posting some non-official site? It's here.
I'm still wary of the file. I scanned the file and it says it's clear. Why would you post a different site than the official site?

Edited by CommonSense, 29 November 2008 - 02:52 PM.

#7 12padams

12padams

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

Oh no i already downloaded and used the easus partition manager...

Ok well i used that it took 3 and a half hours to take 25 gig of my c: drive (which is os [vista]) and put it somewhere else mark analocated space. or something like that.

Btw i hate programs like that one i used it was so scary i was scared it would corrupt vista.

Once it finish spliting the partions my computer restarted and it said windows did not start properly.
Then once that happened i click start normaly.

It started but was very slow much slower then normal.

Then when i used the computer for 5-10 minites it said somthing about new driver found... installing generic sound

Ok what was that????

My sound was working perfecly yet it did that weird thing.

Any way i rebooted my computer again it was a little slow but my computer does not seem to be currupted.

So now that brings me to step 2:

Installing windows 7 on the analocated space.

So first of i have got the iso on a disk. I gave it to my friend as an iso and he used his xp computer and then put the iso on the computer.
He then used daemon tools to mount it to his computer as a virutal cd.

He choose to overight xp and now he has windows 7.

So thats the proff it is a iso that works but now i got some questions.

Should i put it on a disk turn my computer off then let it install on the unamed alocated space or do it have to name it.
Is there any risk for my vista (curruption)
once it is installed what do i do. when i turn my computer on what will happen will it open windows 7 or will it open vista or do i get a choice every time or is windows vista gunna be the defalt and i hold down a button on start up to get into win 7?

Please answer all these questions and tell me any thing that can be dangerous and should be avoided.

thanks from 12padams

#8 12padams

12padams

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:10 AM

By the way i am not going to do this untill i get a reply.

Anyway when is this timebomb thing.

And will i be able to uninstall windows 7 easily in a month?

#9 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:33 AM

Paragon Partition Manager takes about 30 minutes for a 150GB partition...

Should try it next time.

Also, the timebomb is set for January, there is already a crack out there that has a patched winlogon.exe, which contains the timebomb. But if you just want to uninstall, format the partition and merge it back together.

1. It will NOT corrupt vista if it is on a different volume
2. Windows Boot manager will start everytime asking you if you want to boot into Vista or Windows 7. You can change the default OS by using EasyBCD found here: http://www.neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
3. You can change the name of the OS using EasyBCD, and you can change the name of the partition when booted into an OS (Changing Harddrive Names)

Edited by StickwithXP, 30 November 2008 - 02:38 AM.

#10 12padams

12padams

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

i have a big problem

Windows is not detecting to disk on startup how am i supposed to install windows 7

Can i run setup while in vista or will that overight vista

#11 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:53 AM

Yeah you can just select custom install. Have a formatted partition ready though. But idk because I just tried it and it restarted during the install but it's mounted as a virtual disk. I have no idea how it will continue.

#12 12padams

12padams

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:59 AM

well are you saying i can install from my desktop in vista because while doing that it said it will update vista to windows 7...

I don't want to lose vista so are you sure you can do it from withing windows?

I have tried it in virtual pc and saw how installation went like the custum option but will i get that option from inside windows or is that only done with putting disk in on startup

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!