6 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

Posted Image
Budget machines running full OS with Aero become a reality. Windows 7 uses a little over 512MB of RAM so it runs comfortably on a 1GB netbook like the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

A netbook is a small to medium sized, light-weight, low-cost, energy-efficient laptop, generally optimized for internet based services such as web browsing and e-mailing.

"If I show you the PC I use as my primary machine, I think you'll be surprised," Steven Sinofsky told us just before this year's Professional Developers Conference.

The next day the Senior Vice President of the Windows team showed off the Lenovo IdeaPad S10 running Windows 7, and the next week at the Windows Hardware Engineering conference he had an Atom-based Asus EEE netbook with 1GB of RAM in his hands.

At the same event Microsoft showed a Dell Inspiron Mini 9, an MSI Wind, an Asus Bamboo and even the VIA-based HP Mini-Note 2133 all running Windows 7 with full Aero and no missing features.

Don't expect system requirements until next year, but Windows 7 will give you "a good user experience" on a 1.6GHz Atom processor with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of disk space, according to Windows Lead Program Manager Leon Braginski.

This article on Tech Radar explains about,
  • Memory use reduced
  • Solid state drive issues
  • Trimming it down
  • Remove the bloat
  • Bytes versus blocks

#2 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

At the same event Microsoft showed a Dell Inspiron Mini 9, an MSI Wind, an Asus Bamboo and even the VIA-based HP Mini-Note 2133 all running Windows 7 with full Aero and no missing features.

No surprise there.

Would anyone believe me if I said I have Vista running on my EEE with full Aero and effects? :devil: Cus, I do. And it works well I might add. I would expect Windows 7 to run about the same, if not better....

#3 TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

GreenMan

• 1,635 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

It's great! :D

#4 j4f

j4f

Active WinMatrixian

• 482 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

Anyone that would answer this with:
"It's because of MinWin."

Don't know what MinWin actually is.

This is done by:
* Reducing memory use
* Trimming it down
* Removing the bloat

And MinWin was created by
* Reducing memory use
* Trimming it down
* Removing the bloat
* And doing it a LOT

But it's great.
Microsoft has finally realized that they had overdone Vista. And in the process of overdoing Vista forgot to: reduce memory usage, trim it down and remove bloat.

#5 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

You can run it on 512 MB RAM but after disabling superfetch and indexing.

#6 ForumUser

ForumUser

Active WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Nice!!! Can't Wait!

any news about WinFS? or it's totally dead?

#7 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

guys! anyone noticed the task manager in the screenshot? it's green, unlike the other window!

and sure, windows 7 can run. But it won't run fast. You can't run much. you can't open like, 8 tabs in IE without lagging. and consuming 512MB of RAM just isn't low enough...for me, at least.

Edited by comedy_guy, 27 November 2008 - 03:37 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!