• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 HunterAmacker

HunterAmacker

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:14 AM

I just made a thread asking how to make an soundwave/oscilloscope wallpaper that reacted to music. After figuring it out, I decided to write up a tutorial that shows you how to do it, along with some other apps I'm running on my desktop. And thanks to punkrockerz for showing how to display WinAmp Visualizations on your desktop. He probably made this tutorial about 3 times shorter and a lot less complicated.

HunterAmacker’s Desktop Customization Guide

Whats covered in this guide:
• Have system info updated and on your desktop in real time
• Daily weather reports for your area on your desktop
• An ACTIVE oscilloscope ‘wallpaper’ that reacts to the music you’re listening to
• (Optional) Have your wallpaper change at any interval you choose, switching between dozens of HD pics
• Just one awesome looking desktop
Required software:
Rainmeter
Also, download these Rainmeter skins- Enigma and HUD.Vision
Or you can download my pre-configured pack here.
My pack is just what I’m using, it’s a combination of the two other skins that I modified to look like each other. You may want to start from scratch using the other 2 downloads.
WinAmp
This is for the ‘Live’ desktop that reacts to your music. Note that you don’t have to use the oscilloscope visualization, it’s just my personal favorite.
Any Wallpaper

A highly configurable program that will switch your wallpaper at your discretion. I may include the pack of wallpapers I use with this, if there is a high demand for it (its 64mb and my upload speed sucks).

Part 1:
Setting up Rainmeter

Ok, Rainmeter’s homepage will advise you to download a newer update, called Rainlender 2, but from what I’ve seen, Rainmeter works just fine with what we’re going to do.
So download and install it and go to the following directory: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter
Now you need to ask yourself how ambitious you’re filling. If you have the confidence of an Wall Street broker, you might just want to download my pack. Its configured to work with a 1680x1050 screen, and the two skins have been modified to integrate seamlessly. Now if you’ve had your fare share of desktop customization and proprietary scripting languages, then feel free to download the two different packs and modify them to your heart’s extent.
Once you’ve decide which skin pack(s) you want, extract them to the ‘Skins’ folder in Rainmeter’s installation folder.
Restart Rainmeter (if it was already running), right click on it icon, go to “Configs” and select which ever skins you want from the HUD.Vision and Enigma folders. When you select a skin, it will appear on your desktop and allow you to drag it where ever you want. Rainmeter can get really deep, and full out customization can take a long time, so you it’s up to you on how much time you want to invest in this customization.

Part 2:
Installing and using Any Wallpaper

This is pretty straight forward. Just download the installer, run it, and open up Any Wallpaper. The interface is fairly simple, all you have to do is tell it where it should look for wallpapers, which can be a variety of formats. Its best to keep all of your wallpapers together in one single folder, but you can select multiple folders that are stored though out your hard drive.
To change your wallpaper, simply double click on the Any Wallpaper icon in your taskbar. It will switch to the next image depending on how you configured it, as in it will be in order or random. You can also set the program to stretch and skew your images if they don’t match your screens resolution.
What I usually do it flip through a bunch of different wallpapers until I find one that works particularly well with Rainmeter.

Part 3:
ZOMG, DESKTOP OSCILLOSCOPE!!11!1!one!1

*NOTE* This will go over your desktop’s wallpaper, but only when WinAmp is open.
This is where I have the least amount of experience, mostly because I just learned how to do it about 30 minutes ago. What this will do is display an oscilloscope (or any other visualization) on your desktop which will react to your music playing in WinAmp.
First, download WinAmp and install it. Open it and Go to Options > Preferences and scroll down to Plugins > Visualizations and select MilkDrop 2.0e and press ‘Start’.
And this is the fun part. Press the crowbar on the lower right section of the Visualization panel labeled “Preset Editor / Options”. A absolutely beautiful text-only menu will appear on the left of the visualization window. I’m going to tell you how to make the visualization look like an oscilloscope, simple because that’s my favorite, but you’re welcome to tweak this to your heart’s content.
First, press “L”. This should bring up a list of presets for the visualization. Using the arrow keys on you ‘re keyboard, scroll until you find the one called “Geiss – Blur Mix 3”. Press enter, then your scroll lock key. Then press “Esc” to get out of the preset selection menu and then press “M” to modify the Blur Mix 3 preset. *NOTE* This isn’t necessary, it’s just how I like it. You don’t have to modify the preset at all if you like it how it is.
You are now in the preset modification menu. There is something you should know about it. It’s a mean son of a bitch. You’re going to have to test/try/experiment/debug a lot to get your presets just how you like them. This is how I set up the Blur Mix 3 preset to make it look like it does in my screenshot.
First, go to “—drawing: simple waveform”, press enter, then press it again on “wave type”. Using the “Page Up” and “Page Down” keys on your keyboard, select “6” or “7” for an oscilloscopic line (I chose 6). Press Enter and go down to “color (red)” and press enter. Hold down the “Page Down” key until it reaches zero and press enter. Do this again with the “color (blue)” option. Really, all the other options are up to you. I didn’t change any of them, but you can go about switching as many different variables as you want. When you’re done, simply press “Esc” until all of the menus are gone and you are left with a green oscilloscope.
Now to get it on your desktop, all you have to do is right click in the Visualization windows and select “Desktop Mode” or press ‘Alt + D’. If everything worked out right, the visualization should be playing as if it were your wallpaper. Its also a good idea to select “Hide Desktop Icons” by right clicking on the desktop then ‘View’.
And that’s it! Remember you can use any preset in the MilkDrop visualization plug-in, not just the Blur Mix.

Here is what my desktop looks like, with and without the ocscilloscope:
http://i33.tinypic.com/34zn1b4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2iaubnn.jpg

Edited by HunterAmacker, 25 November 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#2 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for share :P . See it: http://kyosan1988.de...WinMac-93841410

#3 pauldacheez

pauldacheez

Derp.

• 305 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:47 AM

Great!

.....Now do it for the Mac, someone.

#4 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

WOW! You were fast! I'll give it a try! Thanks ;)

#5 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,079 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

Very well done man! (Y)

#6 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

Cool thanks a lot
@hunteramacker and kyosan: Nice desks!

EDIT: Thanks :)

Edited by punkrockerz, 25 November 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#7 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

Your desktop looks really cool. I'll give it a try.

#8 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

@kyosan

Who is that girl?!

SHE IS SEXY.

#9 HunterAmacker

HunterAmacker

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

Cool thanks a lot
@hunteramacker and kyosan: Nice desks!

p.s. I think i deserve some credit on the Oscilloscope desktop :)

My bad, I forgot to put your name in there while I was writing it up.

#10 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

Nice tut :)

And damn kyosan that girl is niceeee :D

#11 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

That girl would get it.
lol, i don't care about this thread, only the girl :D

#12 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,760 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Great thread man ;)

#13 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

only the girl biggrin.gif

PERVERT!!!
(sorry if that offends)

#14 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

The One and Only

• 1,573 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

You guys really need to go outside more... There are plenty of these fascinating creatures called "girls" out there. Try checking it out sometime.

:lol:

Edited by ShamusHand, 26 November 2008 - 02:51 PM.

#15 igot11fingers

igot11fingers

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

I'm having difficulty locating the "preset editor / options" there seems to be no crowbar to click on in the bottom right hand side. is there a command i can use to bring up this menu? not sure what im doing wrong.

#16 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

You guys really need to go outside more... There are plenty of these fascinating creatures called "girls" out there. Try checking it out sometime.

O RLY?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by endrit10, 26 November 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#17 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

@kyosan

Who is that girl?!

SHE IS SEXY.

I don't know :no: May be Mepu on deviantart know her.

O RLY?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wow. Sweet girl :P . Share for me :lol: I'm 21 years old and no girlfriend :cry:

#18 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

Lol, SHES MINE!!!

Shes 16 btw :D

#19 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'm having difficulty locating the "preset editor / options" there seems to be no crowbar to click on in the bottom right hand side. is there a command i can use to bring up this menu? not sure what im doing wrong.

Press "M" on the keyboard to open options :)

@endrit10: Nice girl not my type though I'm more of a latina kind of guy :D

#20 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

I know you dirty bastards love it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by endrit10, 26 November 2008 - 07:09 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!