Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Has Apple jumped the shark?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Apple jumped the shark? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Apple jumped the shark?

1. Yes - These ads are just hurting Apple's image. (54 votes [84.38%])

Percentage of vote: 84.38%

2. No - These ads are dead on. (10 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

Have these ads convinced you to buy an Apple product?

1. Yes (8 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. No (56 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#1 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

After reading Paul Thurrott's new blog post titled "It's Official: Apple Jumps the Shark", I have wondered myself if Apple has blown out of proportion these "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac" ads.

Personally, I agree. While cute, funny, and whatnot at first, these ads have gone far from being the cute and funny ads of yesterday and have become nothing more than arrogant (And libelous, as Paul puts it.) - an embarrassment for Apple. A smug, condescending, and arrogant attitude toward us PC users, can only carry you so far. And it is especially apparent in the latest Mac ads released this week. How does an ad that does nothing more than attack it's competition (with blatant lies and misconceptions that are blown waaay out of proportion.), and does nothing to sell their own product, make me want to buy a Mac? If anything, its pushing me away from buying/downloading anything that relates to Apple, and continue using Vista. (Yes, VISTA, I said it.)

What do you think? Has Apple jumped the shark these latest ads?

PS: the two new spots can be found Here

Edited by Frylock86, 21 October 2008 - 03:37 AM.

#2 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Those MAC ads are annoying, and yes, they really jumped the shark now. <_<
Also these ads are just aimed to attack PC, nothing more. I wish microsoft made I'm a PC ad spoof, and pwn apple for all THEIR flaws.

Edited by fediaFedia, 20 October 2008 - 04:38 PM.

#3 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

Good to know the premium Apple charges is going to a good cause....advertisement bitching about another company's advertisement.

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

I agree, Apple is nuts. I can't believe they actually made that ad.

Paul Thurrott is pr0!

Edited by comedy_guy, 20 October 2008 - 06:49 PM.

#5 TechGuy

TechGuy

aka. TheGater

• 73 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

No, these ads didn't convince me to buy an Apple product. You know what would? Drop the price, dammit!

Edited by TechGuy, 20 October 2008 - 05:15 PM.

#6 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

Mac ads are getting annoying :no:

#7 AmZer

AmZer

WinMatrixian

• 74 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

I hate apple products! :angry: they remind me of the look of the old GameBoys. :yes:

#8 xaznx2345

xaznx2345

WinMatrixian

• 136 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

anyone smart enough to see past ads are pc users, in general. :P but, most americans don't see through the ads real purpose. reminds me of politics.

Edited by xaznx2345, 20 October 2008 - 07:57 PM.

#9 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

Apple have lost all crediblity with their ads.
This latest one is prepostorous, look how many ads apple have made compared to microsoft!!!!!!!!

Apple make one like every other week!

#10 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Those bastards! :angry:

Why do they keep pulling this bullshit?! I'm getting tired of it. Macs are not that great. Hell, the OS is based off of UNIX. At least Microsoft has their own actual kernel build (I think haven't done research on that).

Yes, Microsoft is steering away from one of their products. But why would a company linger on a bad release? It's like a glass company that makes glass that shatters when you touch it. Why would that glass company try and modify that shit piece of glass? They start from scratch and try again.

It's simple trial and error. Something doesn't work, okay. Fix it now or look for more errors and create a brand new release. But in the computer world, service packs and updates are used to fix the errors immediately.

However, if the problem is the architecture of the OS, a new OS must be built. But, technology is constantly updating and upgrading. So that is another reason why new OSs are created. Like DirectX 10, doesn't work in XP (I believe), because the graphics cards are not compatible with the old system.

So, to conclude, Apple has to get off Microsoft's back. I don't see them trying anything new. And if they have, it's not like their going extreme. Microsoft built Vista ground up. I really don't see Apple even designing the kernel. Once they do that, they have the right to argue.

(All this is from my friends' and my knowledge. And some of my research. If I said anything incorrect I apologize.)

~CommonSense~

Edited by CommonSense, 20 October 2008 - 10:09 PM.

#11 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

I agree with xaznx2345, their ads are aimed at those who are not tech-savvy, and make it seem as if they can cure cancer, stop global warming, and fix the economy with a single click. Those like us, on the other hand, can see it's just a bunch smoke and mirrors. :yes:

#12 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

Funny... complain about Microsoft spending money on advertising in a commercial. Real smart.
It's pretty much the same for Apple, except instead of a "fix Vista" pile, it's a "hide problems from end-users" pile.

Also, I continue hearing about how much better Macs are than PCs... of course a $1500 Macbook is going to be faster than a $500 notebook. :lol:

#13 Panda X

Panda X

New WinMatrixian

• 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:00 AM

In all honesty I've actually been pushed away from Apple. I use to see them as a quiet competition to MS, but now they're lying to sell their product. That's not the kind of company I like. Apple, may you rot in hell.

#14 orcus

orcus

Active WinMatrixian

• 714 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

Apple had to release the iPhone with AT&T they are the same..thieves with a license, overprice items and crappy service.

#15 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:36 AM

I love the last one.

Not once do they mention the word Mac or Apple, but they do mention Vista a whopping 10 times.

They're doing more to sell Vista than they are OSX :lol:

#16 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:31 AM

I love the last one.

Not once do they mention the word Mac or Apple, but they do mention Vista a whopping 10 times.

I bet you they're getting paid by Microsoft to do this. Just building the hype for Windows 7, so that everyone moves from Vista to 7.

#17 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

I love the last one.

I bet you they're getting paid by Microsoft to do this. Just building the hype for Windows 7, so that everyone moves from Vista to 7.

It'll be selling like hotcakes :lol:

#18 Rich246

Rich246

What's a Member Title?

• 429 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

I always admired Apples effort to be better than Microsoft, but it has yet to happen, when the ads first came out they were funny and true.... but now they're just going out of line.

I have an old iPod and its the only Apple product I have owned, I am thinking of getting a new iPod Touch soon, just because they are the best around.

Microsoft need to start making advertisements too

Mac: on Mac OSX 10.4 There is no virus'
PC: That may be true, but we have protection, just incase unlike Mac

Mac: PC Virus' don't affect me like they do you
PC: Time will tell Mac... time will tell

LOL!!

#19 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

These are not funny anymore. :no:

#20 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

Mac ads are funny, but they're ridiculously biased and untrue!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!