DExposE2: Final build - Expose for Windows

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

[Note to Winmatrixcians : I just updated an old topic becoz I dont like spamming do I ?? I am looking for some translators. Plz contact me. :yes: ]

:fun: Merry Christmas and Happy new year. :fun:

Posted Image

Introducing...

DExposE2 Final

Download Page : http://devrexster.go...es.com/dexpose2

Attached File  ReadME.txt   7.11K   220 downloads

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!! So yeah this is the final version of DExposE2, so to speak, becoz there WILL be updates but the features, options, structure etc wont change. Updates will only be minor ones after this release.
Whats DExposE2 ??, I hate being repetitive. Just google DExposE2.

|| New Features ||
------------------------

# Cycle thru previews while in Exposed mode with pgdn, pgup keys. ( just like on Macs ) :new:

# Task switcher menu available through the context menu of the tray icon.
:new:

# Quick ExposE - doesnt load the exe into memory like when in normal mode :new:

During all these months I have been recieving feedback ( literally speaking, I am BURIED under huge amount of emails still ). And what I enumerated as the weak points of DExposE2 and what are the changes affected in this version are as follows

----------------------------
* DExposE2 uses lot of RAM *

Answer: Ya, becoz it caches the previews in the RAM.
Solution: In this version I have provided a "Refresh" option which comes up when u right click on Systray icon
of DExposE2. This option immediately removes all those cached previews and brings down the memory usage to less than 10MB.
Also in the preferences, in the "previews Quality" section, there is an option which allows DExposE2 to use the video
memory instead.

--------------------------------------
* DExposE2 crashes with lots of apps *

Answer: Tell that to MS. ;)
Solution: A menu Task switcher available from the tray icon's context menu. Directly jump to the app u need to instead of exposing all of them. However it wont work if there are some minimized windows. In that case a normal expose is done. What u must understand here is people working on a Mac dont have a taskbar like we do. This app being an exact clone of Expose ( atleast the expose that I have on my hackintosh ) does as much.

-----------------------------------------
* DExposE2 doesnt work on Multimonitors *

Answer: That was a problem with a DirectX9 dll.
Solution: I had to disassemble the DirectX9 dll and its counterpart from DX10 and hexedit like mad. Took me 2.5 months to solve. But this time I am 110% sure it will work on Multimon.

----------------------------------------------
* Cant exclude some apps from the "exposing" *

Answer: The exclusion list was an internal list.
Solution: Now there is a "Exclusion List" section in the preferences window. Just add the names of the
exe files like Photoshop.exe, firefox.exe etc. And that is it.

------------------------
* Hotcorners dont work *

Answer: I forgot to add the bit about loading the monitoring dll.
Solution: Well, in the standalone version it still DOESNT work. But in the "zip" version it is working fine. I am trying my best to figure it out to work in this kind of a standalone exe itself.

-----------------------
* DExposE2 looks ugly *

Answer: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Om Shanti! But I seriously suggest u atleast try this once.
Believe me u wont feel this is trash.

And yes it will work on Windows7. Coz this exe is "virtualized" (read, thinapp-ed).

Oh and I think some people on this forum already know this but still if anybody asks
that why an update after so many days - the answer is DExposE2 was among the "Best of 2008" at Lifehacker ecently. It was at the tenth position from the top. So yeah, I felt that there maybe lots of people out there waiting for an update.

Regards,
Lord Devrexster

#2 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:55 PM

this may be a very stupid question, but how do you change the settings?

#3 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

Very nice expose clone! (Y)

#4 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:50 AM

:P Very well :fun:

#5 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:01 AM

what's it's req?
my windows xp crashed to BSod when i first tried it (with lots of windows)

#6 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:04 AM

what's it's req?
my windows xp crashed to BSod when i first tried it (with lots of windows)

Requirements are just standard. It maybe incompatible with some program u have running :(

Sorry for giving u the bsod tho :D

this may be a very stupid question, but how do you change the settings?

Double-click on tray icon. ;)

#7 timbertide

timbertide

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

If you fix all the bugs then DExposeE2 can be one of the best Expose clones available for Windows.

#8 iomicifikko

iomicifikko

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hi there, thanks a lot for ALL your porgrams.
But i am not able to use corner feature of dexpose, they simply do not work (i have selected the related option in settings window). I'm on vista with aero on.
Another thing, i've notice that this new version is a thinstall app. I think to make it real portable u should mention to create a "thinstall" folder in the same path of the executable, if not its created a similar folder in user folder (i don't remember exactly where)

Bye and thanks again!

#9 Kerouac

Kerouac

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hello,

do you still support the non-portable version? The build from May I think?

I have downloaded it and installed it, most things seem to be working fine, i've played around with the settings and have managed to have it stable and smoothly running, thanks a lot.

But, I would like to use a button on my mouse to dexpose the apps, and in the settings I found that for the hotkeys, X_Button1 and 2 are for some of the mouse-buttons (forward and backward) and they don't work if I try them...

I have not downloaded the standalone exe as you said the settings were still buggy, so I supposed it wouldn't solve my problem.

It is a very nice app anyway, thanks a lot!

#10 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hello,

do you still support the non-portable version? The build from May I think?

I have downloaded it and installed it, most things seem to be working fine, i've played around with the settings and have managed to have it stable and smoothly running, thanks a lot.

But, I would like to use a button on my mouse to dexpose the apps, and in the settings I found that for the hotkeys, X_Button1 and 2 are for some of the mouse-buttons (forward and backward) and they don't work if I try them...

I have not downloaded the standalone exe as you said the settings were still buggy, so I supposed it wouldn't solve my problem.

It is a very nice app anyway, thanks a lot!

ya I know the issue - I will get a lot of free time in late december so a full and final version of DExposE2 will be out then. :yes: Thanks for liking it ......

#11 vD3stroyiR(666)

vD3stroyiR(666)

Dekwul

• 696 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:03 AM

Everything looks good here so far.
I'll let PM ya when I encounter something. :yes:

Edited by vD3stroyiR(666), 11 December 2008 - 05:03 AM.

#12 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

When I use Dexpose2 with lotsa apps (explorer, chrome, and moe explorers) it makes a bad Bsod.

maybe my driver, can you explain your rendering technique so I know what makes it blue?

#13 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

When I use Dexpose2 with lotsa apps (explorer, chrome, and moe explorers) it makes a bad Bsod.

maybe my driver, can you explain your rendering technique so I know what makes it blue?

just wait a bit more will u ?? The final version will be released this week. :yes:

#14 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

i didn't see that... but I think it's possible that I will have the same problem in the Final version.

#15 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

can you explain your rendering technique so I know what makes it blue?

how about ... NO.
What your basically doing (even if you did not know it) is asking to see his source code, and that is a very rude thing to do.
patience is a virtue. not all software is 100% compatible with everything else.

and i am sure that it is not your driver, it is probably how the apps that crash make use of there hWnd. Devrexter will know what i mean.

#16 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

Mini Bump. Update !! Hope u like it. ;)

#17 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:41 AM

Expose totally OWNS flip3d!

#18 Secured Tim

Secured Tim

Call me Tim

• 2,085 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

You are right I never use Flip3D. DExposE2 is awesome! Thanks for the update.

#19 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

U r welcome guys - yeah I prefer Vista over Leo, BUT flip3d is a bit over the top. It hides much portion of the windows unlike Expose.

#20 wingkei

wingkei

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hi all,
I was wondering does anyone know where the settings file is located?
I have the problem of not being able to go into preferences in on my laptop. The preferences panel crashes before it shows up.

Strangely enough, the preferences panel works like a treat on my desktop. So I want to know where the settings file is located so I can just copy and paste it over to my laptop.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Wingk

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!