Windows 7 Pre-Beta will be distributed on 28th October

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:49 AM

Microsoft shows excitement over the release of its pre-beta version of Windows 7 at the end of October during the PDC2008 conference in Los Angeles.

"We'll [...] be giving every attendee a pre-beta copy of Windows 7. Yes, you heard that right. You'll be able to install your own copy of Windows 7 and play with it on your hardware. This is a very limited release, and PDC2008 attendees will be the first to get it." said Mike Swanson, a well known technical evangelist at Microsoft. Mike also announced there will be 17 additional Windows 7 sessions during the PDC, and even more are expected to come. Some of the newly introduced sessions include "Integrate with the Windows 7 Desktop Taskbar," "New APIs to Find, Visualize and Organize," and "Best Practices for Developing for Windows Standard User."

Steven Sinofsky, one of the writers behind the Engineering Windows 7 blog and a senior engineer manager at Microsoft, will be also present at the PDC to hold a keynote on Windows 7 and answer questions. Sinofsky will also be seen at WinHEC where he'll hold the keynote speach on Windows 7 on November 5.

The new operating system will be distributed on an external 160GB USB hard drive by Western Digital.

Source: Link
PDC 2008 Blog
Windows 7 sessions at PDC08

So what are your thoughts?

EDIT: Thanks John.

Edited by StickwithXP, 25 September 2008 - 02:45 AM.

#2 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:31 AM

Here is the original source link:
PDC 2008 Blog
Windows 7 sessions at PDC08

#3 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,785 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:13 AM

can't wait to see some more videos :lol:

#4 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:36 AM

I'm hoping it gets leaked lol

#5 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

it will. i half way thing that they "leak" it at times to buyild up "illegal" user reviews and such, but in the end, it helps them out.

i remember back when they opened up the Vista Beta program, GOD, reviews EVERYWHERE! Lots of hype and buzz just off of that one move, they need to do it again.

#6 Elijah?

Elijah?

Believe it.

• 1,246 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

Lucky people.
I'm not nearly as excited this time around though, as I was with Vista.
Ah well. I'm probably getting a Mac next year- I love both OS's.

Now shoot me.

#7 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

This would be the time when Windows 7 would be "officially" leaked! :lol:

#8 PRATOSH

PRATOSH

WINMATRIX DEVELOPER.

• 563 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

its still in beta isnt it?i dont know why microsoft takes so much time to release an os.they have the greatest and the most number of programmers.why they cant cut the beta stage and the development stage short like apple may be.they can easily afford computers of various configs.why then they have to release a beta.they can test on their own the os.crashing it,cracking it.hacking it and oh well modifying it.i think they should release the os in jun 2009.

#9 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

its still in beta isnt it?i dont know why microsoft takes so much time to release an os.they have the greatest and the most number of programmers.why they cant cut the beta stage and the development stage short like apple may be.they can easily afford computers of various configs.why then they have to release a beta.they can test on their own the os.crashing it,cracking it.hacking it and oh well modifying it.i think they should release the os in jun 2009.

Well, they could just want people to test it.

And then they can fix it, unlike Vista (Everyone complained in the Beta's, which then lead to criticism at the release)

#10 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Apple technically has more developers than Microsoft does for OS X, with its open source components. Apple did not develop Darwin.

Windows is Microsoft through and through. Its easy to quickly release OSes for a very small number of computer configurations. Try to do the same with virtually every other computer configuration out there and get back to me.

Lastly, its not even in a beta stage yet.

Edited by adrynalyne, 02 October 2008 - 03:39 PM.

#11 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

Can't wait to see some more screens!

#12 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

:) Thx for the great news mate (Windows 7 RTM next year?, lol btw i have recently bought a new PC's with Vista Home Premium SP1... typical MS :unsure: )

#13 teentitan2k2

teentitan2k2

Yes, thats really me

• 339 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

Awesome, we can download the W7 and 2 days later download 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. Woot

Edited by teentitan2k2, 04 October 2008 - 08:58 PM.

#14 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

:) Thx for the great news mate (Windows 7 RTM next year?, lol btw i have recently bought a new PC's with Vista Home Premium SP1... typical MS :unsure: )

You are blaming MS for your uninformed PC purchase?

Hmmm...how does that work?

#15 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

You are blaming MS for your uninformed PC purchase?

Hmmm...how does that work?

They're working too hard to make money.

Not that Bill Gates really needs anymore.

#16 JohnnyV1500

JohnnyV1500

Active WinMatrixian

• 487 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

apple is gaining market share. i think they need some hype. dont you?

#17 redmenchu

redmenchu

New WinMatrixian

• 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:46 AM

Micorsoft has done something spectacular to the computer industry, Microsoft built a universal OS that will run on every configuration and hardware available in the market, im talking about xp of course, not vista. . . nonetheless this was Microsofts main goal in the industry. Their engineers probably have a hell of a time figuring out how to make an OS that suppose to run seamlessly on different hardware configuration. there must be thousands of possible combinations and a mind boggling amount of variables to consider. So its no surprise why it takes such a long time to develop and release an operating system.

Im no windows fan boy but I do appreciate the contribution Microsoft has on the Industry

#18 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:24 AM

apple is gaining market share. i think they need some hype. dont you?

Imho no, I'm not a big fan of Apple.

However I do want one of those nice 30" screens from them, looks very sexy. :lol:

#19 PRATOSH

PRATOSH

WINMATRIX DEVELOPER.

• 563 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

Apple technically has more developers than Microsoft does for OS X, with its open source components. Apple did not develop Darwin.

Windows is Microsoft through and through. Its easy to quickly release OSes for a very small number of computer configurations. Try to do the same with virtually every other computer configuration out there and get back to me.

Lastly, its not even in a beta stage yet.

why are you always hitting on me.i know a operating system takes time to make.its not if microsoft is completely revamping the operating system.you will see nearly the same things as vista and microsoft has had already 2 years thats from the date vista was released.they had nearly 3 years from where windows 7 was commissioned.they can release it quicker i think.look at apple they release everything so quickly.really amazing isnt it?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!