[help] Internet explorer 7 deleted

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Drake

Drake

Drake

• 228 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:27 AM

Accidentally deleted my IE7 folder in MY PROGRAMS.I have no internet explorer now.

I cant find the download for windows 7 Vista version and IE8 Beta 2 does not download.HELP!!!THANKS!!!

#2 pauldacheez

pauldacheez

Derp.

• 305 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:51 AM

Did you actually go into the Program Files folder and delete it? You'd better not have.

#3 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:08 AM

Have you tried a system restore?

#4 Drake

Drake

Drake

• 228 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:26 AM

Did you actually go into the Program Files folder and delete it? You'd better not have.

i am afraid i have done that.Thought it would rid beta 2 and i would just download IE7 but my plan went to S**T.

And i have my system restore off

#5 Minga

Minga

Minganator

• 246 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:30 AM

The only thing you can do is reinstall from disc, unless you knew tricks (whcih ecist) which actually undo delete function

#6 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:27 AM

And i have my system restore off

Bad idea m8...

#7 TechGuy

TechGuy

aka. TheGater

• 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

This is my first post, so be kind. From what I've seen on the Microsoft website, there is only 1 version of IE 7. That works for XP & Vista. Hope I was helpful.

Edited by TechGuy, 20 September 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#8 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

SysRestore is a waste of drive space.

here, this app will download for you both IE7 AND FF3. [app made by me, ofcourse...]

http://rapidshare.co.../wbDDL.exe.html

makes use of ActiveSync APIS, so it will download much faster than a normal Download.

#9 Drake

Drake

Drake

• 228 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

here, this app will download for you both IE7 AND FF3. [app made by me, ofcourse...]

makes use of ActiveSync APIS, so it will download much faster than a normal Download.

It downloads it but says that this version of IE7 is not supported with this operating system.

#10 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Accidentally deleted my IE7 folder in MY PROGRAMS.I have no internet explorer now.

I cant find the download for windows 7 Vista version and IE8 Beta 2 does not download.HELP!!!THANKS!!!

Wow you did what most firefox fanboys have always wanted but anyways have you tried using windows xp disc to repair?

#11 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

It downloads it but says that this version of IE7 is not supported with this operating system.

Have you tried Add/Remove programs in Vista and used the Add/Remove Windows Components to reinstall IE7? Usually you can uncheck it and recheck it and it installs again.

#12 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

Have you tried Add/Remove programs in Vista and used the Add/Remove Windows Components to reinstall IE7? Usually you can uncheck it and recheck it and it installs again.

Negatory. It simply removes it as a default and removes icons for it, but it does not uninstall it, by unchecking, nor does it reinstall it.

Reapplying a service pack may take care of it, however. As mentioned, a repair would probably work. Its very unlikely system restore would have helped you here, even if it was enabled. I disagree about it being a waste of space, however.

#13 Drake

Drake

Drake

• 228 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

Negatory. It simply removes it as a default and removes icons for it, but it does not uninstall it, by unchecking, nor does it reinstall it.

Reapplying a service pack may take care of it, however. As mentioned, a repair would probably work. Its very unlikely system restore would have helped you here, even if it was enabled. I disagree about it being a waste of space, however.

a repair would delete everything off my hard drive.def dont wanna do that.I cant uninstall service pack 1 and reinstall it

#14 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

a repair would delete everything off my hard drive.def dont wanna do that.I cant uninstall service pack 1 and reinstall it

Methinks you do not understand how a repair works.

Unless of course you have an OEM recovery disk, then yes that wouldn't be desirable.

http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html

#15 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

ok, then why not install Firefox, and use it just long enough to go get IE7 for Visat, then just delete Firefox (Uninstall).. I mean, come on, it is not that hard of a thing to think of, and it gets the job done

#16 Drake

Drake

Drake

• 228 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

ok, then why not install Firefox, and use it just long enough to go get IE7 for Visat, then just delete Firefox (Uninstall).. I mean, come on, it is not that hard of a thing to think of, and it gets the job done

I am using mozilla and I NEED IE FOR SCHOOL.SO QUIT TRYING TO MAKE ME LOOK DUMB

#17 Xzen

Xzen

Active WinMatrixian

• 293 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

Damn.... im sure theres a way of restoring core files without using the repair function on the disk.... i did it for my old PC (windows XP)..... gr.... i can't remember what i did.... damn.....

#18 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

Also, some programs (Stardock's Impulse app for example) require IE on the system. (They use the IE rendering engine.) If IE goes missing, everything can go screwy. It has happened to me before when I was still using my old XP computer. Once IE got corrupted, help wouldn't load, Control Panels wouldn't load, ect.

I would try backing up everything you can't afford to lose onto a few DVDs or CDs (yes, it's old fashioned, but it works!), then format and reinstall the OS. I recommend CD Burner XP for this: http://cdburnerxp.se/

(REMEMBER: Windows cannot function without IE. It's one of MS's many flaws.)

#19 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

so, if your online through mozilla right now, then why not just go download IE? How hard of a thing is it for you to do?

as far as you looking dumb, your the one that deleted the folder. stop shooting yourself in the foot.

and for all of you non-programmers out there, now this. the webbrowser control is ALLWAYS on the system. showdoc.dll

you know how you see the icons in explorer? rendered with showdoc. seriously. I have uninstalled IE before, opened up a new VB project, and sill be able to add the webbrowser control.

try typing in a URL in the address bar of explorer.

and did you shift-delete the files form the harddrive, or have you checked the recycle bin?

how about using Recuva? that is a delete-restoring app.

there are SO many ways to fix this, and your not looking. you freaked the hell out and went running to us to fix your stupidity.

lol, if this was my section of the forum, i would ban you for stupidity and lack of thought.

#20 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

Why don't you make second partition?

Back up your music pictures etc to it

Reinstall vista on C and then just use the back up from the second partition.

Yeah you lose applications.

But it basically backs up everything even temp files and history

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!