• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 B33T

B33T

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:02 AM

Well this is my first post here. so hope you dont class this as spam!
XChrome Beta Release 5
What is XChrome?
XChrome is a theme manager for Googles Chrome browser, it allows users to install a skin in seconds without having to move default.dll around and it allows you to view the author and various other details before installing.
XChrome also allows users who do not have XChrome install to install themes by double clicking the themes .exe file, they are prompted to install the theme, they agree the theme is copied to Chromes Default.dll

Screenshot of XChrome BR 5:

Posted Image

Fixes :
o now works with .29 of Chrome (i have changed the way the google dir is found, it should now work with future versions)
o Chrome going red after default.dll is Touched
o After clicking install on a few theme it installed into Xchrome manager but not into Chrome itself.

Added Features:
o Theme Webpage now links the user to the webpage by a click rather than needing to type the url manually into browser.
o Gets Chrome version and path from the registry
o Improved serveral routines.

Downloads:
XChrome BR5:

Http://elitehudson.com/XChromeP5.zip

Edited by B33T, 08 September 2008 - 01:49 PM.

#2 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:25 AM

ok, will try, looking in to it!

#3 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

Welcome to WinMatrix. Your them manager looks good. :)

#4 B33T

B33T

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Right so heres the deal for why it gets detected by anti-virus's
Anti-virus's are designed to detect "possible Trojans/malware/viruses"
the reason the pick up Xchrome is this

1)it has code for editing the registry (this is used in Xchrome to get you Chrome path it is also used to write into local_machine and entire Xchrome's path(so the Newtheme.exe knows where to install itself)
2)it has Copyfile routines, because it has to copy the files to the chrome folder it has to have some code for copying files, in virus's this is used for copying to the win32 folder,
3)The 3rd reason this is detected as malware is becuase it is packed with UPX, which shrinks down an exe unfortunatly alot of virus's are compressed with it.

So heres what ive done today:

Those having a problem with Elitehudson.com
download this mirrored file :
http://elitehudson.com/XChromeP1.zip THIS IS A DIRECT LINK

For those with anti-virus problems, i have un-compressed the files, you can download the new version that isnt detected as a false positive from here:
http://elitehudson.com/XChromeP1.zip THIS IS A DIRECT LINK

#5 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

Looks like a nice app, and so does your wallpaper.

#6 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Very interesting on your reply B33T, but...

1)it has code for editing the registry (this is used in Xchrome to get you Chrome path it is also used to write into local_machine and entire Xchrome's path(so the Newtheme.exe knows where to install itself)
2)it has Copyfile routines, because it has to copy the files to the chrome folder it has to have some code for copying files, in virus's this is used for copying to the win32 folder,
3)The 3rd reason this is detected as malware is becuase it is packed with UPX, which shrinks down an exe unfortunatly alot of virus's are compressed with it.

typically almost all of my apps make use of these three (Except CopyFile, i rarely use that) and i have never had any one say anything about my apps having a virus / trojan in side of them,

I take it back, it did happen once, when i had a virus on my PC, and i was unaware, and every exe i compiled got infected. you may want to run atleast two scans on your PC with different anti-virus to see if you do or do not have something on your PC.

Good app, BTW, but i would suggest renaming "install.exe" to something else, because in powerarchiver, 7zip and a few other file managers (yes i have mor than one) see that one file, they think it is a true installer and try to run it as if it was a microsoft installer.

Call it dllcopy.exe or something, or take all of the code and make one exe. i have never understood why people make 1 app with multiple exe's. but mabey that is just me.

anyway, as i said, good app. :D

great wallpapers too, i like both of them :D :drools:

#7 B33T

B33T

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:31 AM

New version has been released. beta 3, includes a new wizard to help make themes compatable with XChrome, you can now also make stand alone theme installing exe files, so you can make your theme install without the user needing to mess around moving .dll files etc and they dont need to have Xchrome installed :)

#8 clarkd

clarkd

New WinMatrixian

• 30 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

Which versions of Chrome does this work?
BTW ChromeSpot.com appears down. :(

Edited by clarkd, 06 September 2008 - 03:04 PM.

#9 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,785 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

Quite useful program. Keep up the great work B33T!

#10 B33T

B33T

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:32 PM

Hey Guys just to let you know I've released beta version 5,
I've updated my post here as im not sure exactly what your rules are regarding updates to programs with threads that ready exist etc.
so Enjoy.
also its worth noting that the new version is unfortunately not compatible with the old theme wizard. so please repack your skins etc.
sorry for any inconvenience caused but this will help users of some Zip archive extractor products.

#11 B33T

B33T

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

sorry, that link was dead for some reason! looks like this site adds lower case http:// to all links :S

#12 tonyokoro

tonyokoro

New WinMatrixian

• 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hey i have tried this but can't get it to work...how do u install the themes...each time i click on the theme.exe it says error ..file not found...help pls

#13 B33T

B33T

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

file not found? are you sure your using this with google chrome? also try opening Xchrome.exe and selecting the theme in the list on the left then clckin install

#14 Lia Piera

Lia Piera

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Nice themes! If you want a bigger selection to choose from visit chrome-theme.org to grab all kinds of hd google backgrounds!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!