Google Chrome - web browser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
171 replies to this topic

#81 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Webkit's good. However, if it's the same engine as Safari, a good number of sites will not work with Chrome. They should have combined Webkit and Gecko.

go read the comic. they have allready addressed that issue, and fixed it.

they used google to throw web pages at it, and if something went wrong, the software code monkeys went in and fixed it. this is a webkit that will be better than what apple has, i think.

i mean, they threw there cache at it, and looked for incorrect renders so they could fix the webkit engine. come on!

Really? Yay! All the speed of Safari with rendering capabilities near (or above) Firefox? AWESOME!

#82 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

I think this means Google will take over Firefox

i wholly agree. dont get me wrong, i love FF, but this... damn.

#83 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

I think this means Google will take over Firefox

i wholly agree. dont get me wrong, i love FF, but this... damn.

i don't say FF necessarily... I see this more as an IE killer.

#84 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Wow. All of this for a browser?

Am I the only one who could care less?

73 User(s) are reading this topic (53 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

the numbers say yes, you you are.

Haha :P

#85 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

Webkit's good. However, if it's the same engine as Safari, a good number of sites will not work with Chrome. They should have combined Webkit and Gecko.

they used google to throw web pages at it, and if something went wrong, the software code monkeys went in and fixed it. this is a webkit that will be better than what apple has, i think.

i mean, they threw there cache at it, and looked for incorrect renders so they could fix the webkit engine. come on!

Really? Yay! All the speed of Safari with rendering capabilities near (or above) Firefox? AWESOME!

Posted Image
see?

#86 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

Posted Image
see?

Cool. Are those results included in the source code?

#87 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

IE has been dead for the past few years, no one bothered to tell Microsoft about it though.

seriously, IE is as dead as dirt. and 8 is just a pathetic attempt to catch up.
lol! IE boasts it's "private" mode, but Chrome already has that built in too, LOL! Poor Microsoft!

Cool. Are those results included in the source code?

i would imagine so.

i wonder if this will compile with Visual c++ (or .Net), or the Gnu C++ utils?

#88 The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

IE has been dead for the past few years, no one bothered to tell Microsoft about it though.

lol! IE boasts it's "private" mode, but Chrome already has that built in too, LOL! Poor Microsoft!

Which begs the question, was it always planned or have they just added it since MS announced IE8 would have it just to piss off MS? XD

#89 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

IE isn't dead. It's alive and well. I know many people who still use it. It just us power users that use stuff like FF, Opera, ect.

However, I agree with you. IE hasn't had a major overhaul in over 2 years!

#90 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

Which begs the question, was it always planned or have they just added it since MS announced IE8 would have it just to piss off MS? XD

I would imagine they have had it in the works for a while, i mean, the idea of a Google biased web browser is several YEARS old i think, but i don't think they have been developing it for that long though.

lol, what, would Google go out of there way just to piss of MSFT?

IE isn't dead. It's alive and well. I know many people who still use it. It just us power users that use stuff like FF, Opera, ect.

However, I agree with you. IE hasn't had a major overhaul in over 2 years!

NO, IE IS DEAD. people use it because they dont know any better.

this is why we have to educate the masses.

#91 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

I would imagine they have had it in the works for a while, i mean, the idea of a Google biased web browser is several YEARS old i think, but i don't think they have been developing it for that long though.

lol, what, would Google go out of there way just to piss of MSFT?

Of course! After all, Microsoft is gaining traffic to Windows Live pages every day.

EDIT: OMG! 7 pages! :lol:

Edited by winlover_41, 02 September 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#92 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

IE is still kicking. Don't kill me Firefox users but IE is still more compatible to the web than Firefox. Yes! Firefox can handle more than IE sometimes, but something's IE does do better than Firefox. Also, a lot of sites require IE. So, until there is no need for IE, period, it will continue to reign. As long as their is Windows, there will be IE.

#93 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

you see, it comes with windows, so that is what they use. If Windows came with a firefox install, with IE removed ,they would use that.

mindless sheep. really. baaaah.

#94 Xzen

Xzen

Active WinMatrixian

• 293 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

I wanty it NOWWWWWW!

#95 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

Of course! After all, Microsoft is gaining traffic to Windows Live pages every day.

[sarcasm] Windows Live .. well, gee, who would have thought that Microsoft would send people to it's own site? [/sarcasm]

seriously, people use Live? Why?

IE is still kicking. Don't kill me Firefox users but IE is still more compatible to the web than Firefox. Yes! Firefox can handle more than IE sometimes, but something's IE does do better than Firefox. Also, a lot of sites require IE. So, until there is no need for IE, period, it will continue to reign. As long as their is Windows, there will be IE.

It is because people got used to making non W3 compliant web sites, so that it would render correctly in IE.

IE has f**ked up the internet more than anything else out there. bad standards mode, lack of W3 compatibility, ActiveX objects that could hijack your PC.......

#96 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

I wanty it NOWWWWWW!

In do time.. in do time

#97 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Right. IE is still going strong. However, Chrome might take a large chunk out of IE's market share.

you see, it comes with windows, so that is what they use. If Windows came with a firefox install, with IE removed ,they would use that.

mindless sheep. really. baaaah.

Yeah. That's so true! :lol:

I wanty it NOWWWWWW!

Should be on the site within the next few minutes...

Edited by winlover_41, 02 September 2008 - 06:55 PM.

#98 Justa

Justa

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

i've found this web blog showing a link to download of new Google Chrome: http://gears.google.com/chrome/?hl=en , but don't think it's official...

#99 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

Well, IE, Safari, Opera, and Firefox are at the gate. We are still waiting on Chrome. Place your bets!!!

Who do you think will win?

#100 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:59 PM

winlover_41, yanike, The Alpha Gamer, Solo, M.Sudoku, Xzen, Justa, ForumUser, LazerFish, phoenix_abhi, intrigue, splitfire, DjMonkey, Vishal Gupta, Another_User, timbertide, Webtrance, Ammarx, Merforga, RKJ

is it just me, or is this like EVERY ONE that does posting on MW normally, like, here, in this thread?

Jatin! Get in here!

i've found this web blog showing a link to download of new Google Chrome: http://gears.google.com/chrome/?hl=en , but don't think it's official...

That is it! Grab and Go boys! go go go Go Go Go GO GO GO

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!