• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#21 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Amirz for this great post.

I was wondering, if there is any way to integrate some indexing software (copernic, windows search, google search, x1...) into Directory Opus? I would like to be able to search within Directory Opus using one of these indexing applications and then display the results in Opus's quick view panel. Is this possible?

You're welcome superddman :D thanks. Too bad that seems not possible (edit: available) so far, Dopus already has its own search feature without indexing though. Maybe they will improve that in the next version (10) or release some additional plug ins? Since most of them (Dopus Plug in, Windows Search, Google Desktop Search) have released their own SDK that contains the APIs code+ documentation for public/interested developers, it's become possible i think) :) For more info, you can ask about them to Directory Opus Resource Centre (Dopus forum member) especially Leo there.

(Btw lol "nice bump" too :D hehe)

Edited by AMIRZ, 29 March 2009 - 03:23 AM.

#22 superddman

superddman

New WinMatrixian

• 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Seems like DOpus already supports integrating Google Desktop Search. However, I have tried DOpus v9.1 with GDS v1, v2, v3, v4, and v5 and it doesn't work. It just doesn't find anything.

Bascially, once you install GDS, you will see another tab inside of DOpus's find panel called "Google". Try it out and let me know if it works for you.

#23 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

Seems like DOpus already supports integrating Google Desktop Search. However, I have tried DOpus v9.1 with GDS v1, v2, v3, v4, and v5 and it doesn't work. It just doesn't find anything.

Bascially, once you install GDS, you will see another tab inside of DOpus's find panel called "Google". Try it out and let me know if it works for you.

Hey i just know that, thanks for the info Bro :D . I've also searched and found about that on the Dopus help yes it does have support for GDS as you said (not sure about the version though):

If you have the Google Desktop Search tool installed, you will find this integrated into the Directory Opus Find tool. If GDS is present a third tab will be added to the Find dialog letting you access the Google search. The results are displayed in the Find dialog or in a Lister as a collection as normal.
However i don't like Google Desktop Search mainly since it's become too integrated/as part of Google Desktop (really a bloatware for me :cry: ). _> Sorry Google has successfully updated and improved the product i think :D . However Copernic is still the best 3rd party search tool, it's better than GDS even Windows Search 3.1/4.0 itself IMO (although it's kinda slower on my Vista dunno why). But maybe i'd like to give the latest version of GDS a try on my Dopus 9.1.18 (latest version/updated) on Xp and/or Vista later :)

EDIT: Hey i have just downloaded latest Google Desktop (still contains both sidebar and desktop search) from Here and installed it on my Vista with Directory Opus 9.1.1.8 installed. After opening find tool dialog box (Alt+F) i could find Google Desktop search as new integrated feature (created new tab). Please see the below screenshot :D :

Posted Image

The search works well and very fast only using Google Desktop Search (GDS) indexing engine. Seems Google has improved the application, unlike the past. Since Windows search and Google Desktop Search are equivalent to each other, i think Directory Opus + GDS is equivalent to Vista Explorer + Vista Search engine on both Xp and Vista too. Again thanks for the info, will add it to the first post above. Keep updating the thread. :D Cheers!

Edited by AMIRZ, 31 March 2009 - 04:37 PM.

#24 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

Eh by time you install all this you might as well just get the OS so you can guarantee future support and compatibility xP

But anyways good work putting this altogether.

#25 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

:) Thanks. They are just options, depending on what people need and/or want, that's why it's called "Windows Customization/OS enhancement" :D. Btw i also have Vista and Windows 7 on my machines but otherwise i'd (always) like to customize and enhance Xp (my interest) it's also a challenge for me beside i love the OS though... :)

#26 Rudy

Rudy

Not a Geek...

• 70 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

Great post man as usual! ;) keep it up!

#27 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

Great post man as usual! ;) keep it up!

Thanks Bro :D

#28 superddman

superddman

New WinMatrixian

• 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

With Quick View Plus, how do I enable it inside of Windows Desktop Search 4 ?

Right now I can't correctly preview many file types in Windows Desktop Search 4.

#29 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

With Quick View Plus, how do I enable it inside of Windows Desktop Search 4 ?

Right now I can't correctly preview many file types in Windows Desktop Search 4.

After installing QuickView Plus, please also install Preview Handlers for Xp and preview handler association editor (links above, credits to Gil Azar and MSDN). Run Preview Handler Association editor. Select "MSDN Internet Explorer preview handler", and insert/associate some custom file type with it e.g psd, dll, etc (uncheck "Only show classes associated with this handler" to show all registered file types/extensions on your Windows). It will use QuickView Plus IE activeX plug in as the preview component (IE handler) for the supported file type (e.g psd, dll, exe, cdr etc). Will work on Vista and Windows 7 previewer and Windows Search 4.0 on Xp and Vista (as well as Directory Opus 9.1.xx or higher on both etc). Support previews for more than 300 well-known file types. Good luck :D

Edit: In addition, to use IE app activeX plug in (e.g QuickView Plus IE plug in, Adobe Reader etc) as previewer on WDS 3.1/WS 4.0 in Xp (WS 4.0 already supports IE viewer and preview handler both + some of its own viewers) you can also read my old post on MSDN Here or simply read this (lol sorry for my bad English, hopefully clear for you :D ):

WDS (or Windows Search/WS) natively indexes more than 200 filetypes, but unfortunately only few of them that have preview support on preview pane unless we can tweak them. In my opinion many people included me are still misunderstanding about the difference between ifilter and previewer. Ifilter only indexes file metadata properties but it can’t visually render file content preview on preview pane. From Steve guide article “Customizing The Stock Previews” (credit to him: http://wdstech.space......6!139.entry ), In his article WDS has some previewers to preview both system folder and file content. The previewer of file contents generated by the plug-in that can be essentially anything renderable by IE. There are 3 basic plug ins for these previews by default:

1. The keys either contain a single default value, one of two GUID’s :the Native /IE rendering{015CA7C6-DECD-40dc-AAAC-73EA9940E0F9}

2. Office {7A35A3A8-3DEA-40e5-B2AA-21DEF91A219A} Previewer plug-ins.

3. Another key is one without a GUID because they get mapped to a special internal previewer called the Registry Based Previewer. It’s definitely a built in WDS plug in (it contains link to dll (msnlExt.dll) in WDS directory itself).

However In WDS 4.0 for Xp (as well as Vista), the preview capability has also been extended by hosting vista and Office 2007-only preview handler. Steve's article was actually made for previous version of WDS in the past. Also, WDS (Xp) uses different previewer with Vista version.

But there are many file types still don’t have their own preview handlers yet, especially on Xp.

OK, this method only extends, nor even substitute the default previewer. However, if available for the custom file, Vista preview handler seems faster, as it a newer technology, isnt it?.

I feel Steve’s way to customize only stock previews seems rather complicated , So I prefer a different way to add custom file that based on IE rendering (WebBrowser control/activex) with many available viewer activex plug ins such QuickView Plus (more than 300 filetypes) now. This is only based on one fact above: any file that is render-able by IE
(native or with activex plug in) can also be previewed in WDS preview pane as well. I have decided it’s the easier and safer way to extend WDS file preview capabilty for me, especially for files that IE supports with viewer activex plug ins.

I don’t guarantee this is always be working for all IE supported file types, to me, yes so far it is.

Here are the tricks, so simple and easy in my opinion:

1. Install some IE viewer ActiveX plugins you need and configure them as default plug ins for your custom files in IE. To me, The most powerful plug in is QuickView Plus from Avantstar (www.avanstart.com) which supports more than 300 file types.
Other well known IE viewer activeX/plug ins are Adobe Reader (pdf), Microsoft OfficeViewer PowerPoint activeX Player (ppt), Djvu document (djvu) etc.

And many more…, just google about "IE viewer plug in" etc for your file types/extensions query.

For example, I am assuming the only previewers I need here are for both DWG (AutoCAD) and PSD (Photoshop). They all are already supported by Quickview plus as well. Do the same way for other files you need, as long as they have IE viewer activex plug in installed (any).

2. Open Registry Editor: Start menu > Run > Regedit, then navigate to key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension

There are file extensions that already have preview support in WDS preview pane (.htm, .html, .doc, .jpeg, .pdf etc). Check your custom file extensions, if not already there, then add them (e.g. .dwg/AutoCAD and .psd/Photoshop)

Example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.dwg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.psd

There is an empty string key named (Default) in there. Then just change the string value/value data of it (Default) to {015CA7C6-DECD-40dc-AAAC-73EA9940E0F9} (remember:change value data, nor string value name). This is IE native GUID value (as the file extension already has its own viewer activex plug in for IE).

For other native IE files that not aready listed there (such .zip and .xps if you have IE7), you can do the same way:

Example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.zip

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.xps

(Optional, only if needed): Since Internet Explorer (as well as the previewer) always recognize/open/download the file using its MIME/file content type (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension) than extension, make sure the MIME value is default (standard).: E.g. PSD: image/x-psd, DWG: image/x-dwg, Html = Text/html, JPEG = image/x-JPEG , Pdf = application/pdf etc. (some 3rd party application can also change the default MIME handler value when they are installed)

MIME and File Extension list , please see:

http://www.feedforal.../mime-types.htm

or just google or live search about "MIME" query

MIME and File Extension setting in registry:

Location used by FindMimeFromData to find MIME type and progID from file extension:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.***

Location used by FindMimeFromData to find application from progID:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<ProgId>\shell\open\command

Location used by URL monikers to find CLSIDs from MIME types:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type

See More:
http://msdn.microsof...y/ms775147.aspx

Sometimes some files show dialog box like: "Do you want to open or save this file" instead of giving direct preview on WDS preview pane as well as IE. If it happens, you have also to uncheck "confirm open after download" and check "browse in same window" for each supported files on Folder Options menu on Windows Explorer. You will also get Office files opened in IE as well as WDS preview pane. for Office 2007 (that uses new preview handler than old IE plug in previewer) please see some Microsoft Knowledge base about it:

http://support.micro...kb/927009/en-us

3. Log off/Reboot your machine. then the preview of .dwg and/or .psd, .zip and .xps (and maybe other one as your custom file types) should appear in WDS preview pane. If not, double check and try to re-index all files.

Note: However, usually (only if available/installed) preview handler will always overwrite IE app activeX as default viewer for the current file type on WS 4.0 on Xp as far as i know (i.e Adobe Reader 8.1 preview handler over its IE plug in). And since preview handler will load faster than IE activex on WS 4.0 (actually the activeX just the application itself such as MS Word or out of process in memory), it's much better/recommended to use preview handler instead of activeX-based viewer of course. Anyway good luck and Cya

Edited by AMIRZ, 01 April 2009 - 06:11 PM.

#30 superddman

superddman

New WinMatrixian

• 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Here is what I have done:
1) install WDS v4
2) install QVP v10
3) In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension I added numerous extensions (.docx , .png , etc.) and changed their default values to {015CA7C6-DECD-40dc-AAAC-73EA9940E0F9}

Now, when I click for instance on a .png file in Windows Desktop Search 4, I get a warning message saying:
"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

I then have to click on that message to show the file. Very annoying.

Does anybody know how to get rid off this message and allow all formats in the preview?

Also, I would like to be able to view Outlook attachements. Right now I get the following error message:
"Previews of attachments with this file extension are disabled"

Any idea how to fix this one as well?

#31 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:02 AM

Here is what I have done:
1) install WDS v4
2) install QVP v10
3) In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension I added numerous extensions (.docx , .png , etc.) and changed their default values to {015CA7C6-DECD-40dc-AAAC-73EA9940E0F9}

Now, when I click for instance on a .png file in Windows Desktop Search 4, I get a warning message saying:
"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."

I then have to click on that message to show the file. Very annoying.

Does anybody know how to get rid off this message and allow all formats in the preview?

Also, I would like to be able to view Outlook attachements. Right now I get the following error message:
"Previews of attachments with this file extension are disabled"

Any idea how to fix this one as well?

Well, Windows Search 3.1/4.0 on Xp already has capabilities/its own viewers to preview .png file as well as some other supported image file types using its own rich viewer dll (msnlExt.dll), + some other shell extensions such as Ifilter and property handler to index and show metadata info, that means you don't need to change its default viewer for the supported file type (except Vista version, which only uses Vista-only preview handler to preview).

You only need to add some file extensions which are not included on the supported list on the registry (e.g .zip, .dwg etc).

Please change it to previous/default setting and you won't see the annoying activeX warning anymore. Just apply this registry entries (copy and save as .reg file then double click to merge it/import using Regedit)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.png]
"ContentType"=dword:00000001
"TemplateUrl"="res://msnlExt.dll/images-picture-rich.htm"
"ScriptOk"=dword:00000001

(Or either you can download the below attachment that contains entire previous (default) and PNG registry entries (WDS Reg.zip), or just edit it only for PNG subkey). Please always backup your system/registry before applying that (at least you can do a system restore before).

The activeX warning happened bcoz you tried to open file in local zone (local hard drive e.g My Computer, C:\, D:\ etc) in the browser Window using IE/IE engine without MS signed/trusted activeX viewer installed (for example Adobe Reader and QuickView Plus plug in for IE are already digitally signed, so it must be no activeX warning for them). The feature has existed since Xp SP2 and IE SP1 out (or higher OS e.g Vista) for security reason. You can disable the warning by default though (not recommended according to official Microsoft KB unless you're sure the opened file is really safe) please visit here for more info etc: http://www.phdcc.com/xpsp2.htm

However it's actually still no problem (although, again not necessary as said above) to change the default WS viewer for the preview pane to IE, unlike the past (e.g IE 4.0 or older Netscape withou external viewer plug ins), later versions of IE have own capabilities to preview PNG preview as file or webpage both (e.g IE 6SP1, IE7, IE8). I recommend you to upgrade to IE 8 (latest version) if not yet. Since it's already own MS viewer (signed) as said, you should not see any activeX warning. Seems that you have another (unsigned) viewer that replaces standar IE one for viewing .png in the browser. Based on my previous experience, i guess you have Quicktime plug in enabled as default viewer for .png file in IE (Btw Quicktime is unsigned plug in for IE, dunno why Apple haven't signed it yet), so you will get the activeX warning in WS and browser both. Just restore the default setting to IE/QP by only unchecking .PNG in QuickTime app: QT menu bar -> Edit => Preferrences => Quicktime Preferrences -> Browser -> File Types and MIME Settings.

Again, since WS 4.0 supports both Vista-only preview handler and IE activeX app viewer beside its own dll viewer on Xp, you can also preview .docx and .doc in the preview pane using new MS Office 2007 preview handlers instead of "old" Office activeX viewer (Only if you have MS Office 2007 installed of course), and it will load faster as said. To enable and associate .docx and .doc with MS Office 2007 preview handlers on Xp (usually enabled by default in Vista), once again you need to install Preview Handler for Xp (out of process preview handler COM server and some viewers for well-known file types e.g Zip, AVI etc) and run Preview Handler Association Editor to associate the file types as usual. Yeah you can still associate them with QP Plug in as usual but seems it's still better to use MS Office 2007 preview handler as default viewer.

Which version of your MS Outlook, 2003 or 2007? As i said, like Vista Explorer, MS Office 2007 has capability to preview email and attachments in its reading pane using preview handler. Again, just install Preview Handler for Xp above or again please visit this for more info: http://www.azarfamil...ersforwindowsxp just explore it and maybe you need to enable the setting in Outlook also

:sleep: That's it so far, as far as i know if not wrong. I hope it can help you. Again sorry for my bad English, hopefully clear, anyways good luck and cya ;)

Attachment:
Attached File  WDS_Reg.zip   1.2K   29 downloads

Edited by AMIRZ, 02 April 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#32 superddman

superddman

New WinMatrixian

• 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

Another great post Amirz. Each time you provide very valuable information.

As per your suggestions, I have done the following:
1) Installed IE8
2) Changed .PNG and other standard types to the default previewers

The annoying ActiveX messages have disappeared.

However, I am now having problems previewing .DOC and .DOCX files. It crashes the Microsoft Word handler.

As a result, I've tried assigning .DOC and .DOCX extensions to Quick View Plus (through IE), but it didn't work. Word handler is still trying to preview .DOC and .DOCX.

I have noticed that when I go to "Manage Addons" in IE8, I don't see Quick View Plus. Maybe this is the problem?

#33 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thank you superddman for the nice comment :D. I'm so glad to hear the PNG issue has been fixed. About no QuickView Plus dlls on IE manage add on, i also wonder why i can't see it on all my systems too (QVP on IE manage add on-feature), mmm...maybe it uses another/IE dll to host its activex viewers in IE etc, maybe?
As said before, MS Word preview handler usually will overwrite QVP plug in while QVP will still keep itself as default viewer so they can crash. You have to choose only one of both as default viewer. I think MSO 2007 preview handlers is better (and usually seems faster), but IMO it's also OK/good to use QVP instead, maybe.

To set the preview handler as default viewer: Try to reinstall MSO 2007 and/or Windows Search or again just simply use Preview Handler Association Editor Tool (the tool works on both Xp and Vista) to manually associate .doc and .docx with MS Office 2007 preview handler.

To set QVP as default viewer: Run Preview Handler Association Editor tool to not associate .doc and .docx with standard MS OFfice 2007 preview handler anymore. Then finally you can configure QVP as default viewer for both of files in Windows Search 4.0 (using IE rendering engine/{015CA7C6-DECD-40dc-AAAC-73EA9940E0F9} GUID value) as usual.

That's all as far as i know (if not wrong hehe). I hope finally they can work for you and maybe other people too. Anyway good luck Bro, :) Cya

#34 superddman

superddman

New WinMatrixian

• 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

Yes, you're right. MS Office preview handlers work faster and provide better options then QVP.

I will try to reinstall Office to see if it fixes the crashes.

I also tried Preview Handler Association Editor tool but the only handler I see is for PDF. There is no QVP or Office handlers . Sorry for all the questions Amirz

Edited by superddman, 02 April 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#35 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

No problem Bro, i'm here and always happy to help anyone if i can or vice versa hehe, and i think our discussion is really hot and interesting for me and hopefully it can be useful/helpful also for other people too who are reading here, so thanks alot Bro :D . If you don't see Office preview handlers, maybe you need to repair the software installation or btw oh have you installed Azar's preview handler for Xp (need COM server for preview handler in Xp) as i said? I thinks it's also necessary to do if the preview handlers are actually not hosted by Windows Search/another app. :) And you will also get the same preview capabilities in other apps such as MS Outlook 2007 reading pane and Directory Opus 9.1.x.x viewer pane using Vista-only preview handlers on Xp! :D

Oh you won't see QVP in preview association editor bcoz it's just activeX plug in, not preview handler extension. But you can still use QVP plug ins indirectly as activeX component (activex control) for IE MSDN magazine preview handler as well by associating the same supported QVP activeX file extensions (i meant file types/MIME in IE) with the IE MSDN magazine preview handler in Preview Handler Association Editor tool as i said before. :) Anyways Good luck Bro and long live Xp!

Edited by AMIRZ, 03 April 2009 - 11:26 PM.

#36 superddman

superddman

New WinMatrixian

• 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hi Amirz,

Sorry to trouble you but I am having a problem with Windows Desktop Search 4 (WDSv4) and Quick View Plus 10 (QVPv10).

I got a new laptop and I have first installed WDSv4 and then QVPv10. However, when I start QVPv10 for the fist time, it gets stuck on the QVP logo.
Also, WDSv4 is not using QVP for previewing. It's using extremely slow Office 2003 handlers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by superddman, 19 June 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#37 arkanbh

arkanbh

WinMatrixian

• 212 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH THINGS TO DO...

i wait windows 7, its better :|

#38 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hi Amirz,

Sorry to trouble you but I am having a problem with Windows Desktop Search 4 (WDSv4) and Quick View Plus 10 (QVPv10).

I got a new laptop and I have first installed WDSv4 and then QVPv10. However, when I start QVPv10 for the fist time, it gets stuck on the QVP logo.
Also, WDSv4 is not using QVP for previewing. It's using extremely slow Office 2003 handlers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi superddman how are you Bro :D , basically i have no idea why but first please let me ask you, which is your OS that installed on your new laptop: Xp or Vista? Seems that QVP 10 has some compatibility issue with Vista RTM, then just try to install SP1/SP2 either or maybe just run it in Xp SP2 compatibility mode (like sandbox) for its executable (qvp32.exe). If the problem still exists then maybe you should repair/uninstall and reinstall the program as usual, or maybe you have less memory than necessary (i.e too many program/service running in memory, less RAM etc) or the program itself crashes with another app/shell extension/service and so on etc...

To make IE activeX plug ins as default viewer for some filetypes (i.e in Windows Search, just do the same thing with what i ever wrote before on my Post #29th (only for Xp):

...Open Registry Editor: Start menu > Run > Regedit, then navigate to key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension

There are file extensions that already have preview support in WDS preview pane (.htm, .html, .doc, .jpeg, .pdf etc). Check your custom file extensions, if not already there, then add them (e.g. .dwg/AutoCAD and .psd/Photoshop)

Example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.dwg

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.psd

There is an empty string key named (Default) in there. Then just change the string value/value data of it (Default) to {015CA7C6-DECD-40dc-AAAC-73EA9940E0F9} (remember:change value data, nor string value name). This is IE native value (as the file extension already has its own viewer activex plug in for IE).

For other native IE files that not aready listed there (such .zip and .xps if you have IE7), you can do the same way:

Example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.zip

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\Previewers\Extension\.xps

Just make sure that you already have default IE viewer for current file type installed (i.e Adobe Reader plug in for .pdf etc)

To make WDS 4.0 using preview handler instead/prior to IE activeX/rich viewer library (built in WDS for Xp) by default on both Xp and Vista (also maybe Windows 7) while it's still using QVP plug ins, you may download and install IE MSDN preview handler from MSDN (credits to Gil Azar for porting them to Xp + possible updates): http://www.4shared.c...ection-All.html (you can install it on Vista and Xp. Also you may have to install these prerequisites before: Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package for . zip preview handler and Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package) then download and use Preview Handler Editor tool http://www.4shared.c...dlerEditor.html to associate your custom file types with IE MSDN preview handler that is already installed before. Since IE uses QVP 10 plug ins as default viewer for those file types, then you shall see QVP interface on WDS 4.0 preview pane as well as Vista Explorer preview pane in Windows Vista. Anyway good luck cya... :)

SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH THINGS TO DO...

i wait windows 7, its better :|

Lol they are just more options/optional, that means you may choose which viewer app do you want to install on Xp (also Vista) as the main/default one (even you don't have to wait for 7 only for built in previewer, since Vista has it too) also for example basically WDS/Windows Search for Xp has the same code with Vista search (only the UI and some additional features are kinda different). You're not required to get them all of course, and anyway that's why it's called Windows (personal) customization, only install anything that you really like and need personally. Still your own choice though... :D

But yeah anyway still hope Windows 7 RTM would be better, i'd love it too :)

#39 komalo

komalo

Mohamed Kamal

• 124 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

wow, very very nice job, i remember when i was searching before for the preview pane but i only found shareware programs, Thanks Amirz

#40 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

^ You're welcome Komalo and thank you too Bro :D . Nice to know that they can be useful for Xp users at least as available replacements although yeah the original Vista/Windows 7 (built in) viewer and search are still better anyways. Cya

Btw another old related thread here:
Get Thumbnail Previews of More File Types: Text, Document, Images, Multimedia on Windows Explorer (+ Metadata, Infotip etc):
http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=19751

Hopefully useful as well. Anyway Good Luck & Cya...

====================================

:) (Updated) Just Added Some Tools for Windows Explorer to The Thread Here:

Some Free-Powerful Shell Extensions for Windows XP Explorer

(Recommended for XP - work on other OSes like 2003, Vista, or Windows 7 too)

Posted Image

You can also visit my original thread on Deviantart for more info, updates, etc here (Windows All):
http://amirsyahrani....Tools-142913425

1. XP / 2003 Only: Enable XP / Common Visual Style on Some Controls of Loaded Shell Extensions For Free - An Important feature for Windows XP shell customization...

(Especially 3rd parties) - in shell extensions or activex objects (e.g toolbar button / BHO, explorer bar, context menu items etc) in Windows Explorer, note must support / have InitCommonControls function, with link to comctl32 version 6 in XP/Vista or higher, and so on).

For more info please see some documentations about it on MSDN: e.g http://msdn.microsof...695(VS.85).aspx and http://msdn.microsof...y/ms997646.aspx

(Look, if you have Vista / WIndows 7 then you will notice that Vista / 7 has already improved/enabled the feature natively, by default. You would also get the feature by installing Window Blinds on XP, but it's not free though...).

To get the visual feature on XP and 2003 as default (M$ didn't do it for "some political reason" lol), on any shell extensions (especially 3rd party, if supported) visually without installing or patching any file, especially when on non-classic theme, just simply put / copy the explorer.exe.manifest (external manifest file) to Windows Directory to enable the feature without tampering explorer.exe itself or any system file (just take advantage of its "hidden" native feature instead). Easy to do that, without any special skill or "hacking" and programming language at all, lol that's it. It's safe and not harmful at all, would make XP shell looks better. You can safely delete it easily anytime if you dont want it anymore. Useful for both dev and user. Very small size (download explorer.exe.manifest for only less than 1 KB lol!)

For Example:

A. Before applying manifest (oldy):
Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

B. After applying manifest (better look):
Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

Download it Here (With Guide & Batch Files etc):
(and just put it on Windows Directory (%Windir% or C:\Windows, then restart Explorer/Windows to see the changes)

http://www.4shared.c..._Extension.html

Or Just Download explorer.exe.manifest file only:
http://www.4shared.c...xplorerexe.html

Alternatively you can also copy this code and save it as .manifest file named "explorer.exe.manifest" using Notepad:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" 
manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
    version="1.0.0.0"
    processorArchitecture="X86"
    name="CompanyName.ProductName.YourApp"
    type="win32"
/>
<description>Your application description here.</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity
            type="win32"
            name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
            version="6.0.0.0"
            processorArchitecture="X86"
            publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
            language="*"
        />
    </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

You can also use it with any "MyApp" app with myapp.exe executable file for similar purpose as well (if supported, with above requirements e.g has link to comctl32 and so on), just rename it myapp.exe.manifest (following the executable name) and put it as external file in the same directory e.g in MyApp folder).

To get the same result on control panel extension/applets (.cpl), since .cpl is actually a dll that is running by using rundll32.exe, then just use same manifest file (renamed to "rundll32.exe.manifest") and copy it to C:\Windows\system32. You may need to restart Windows (or the service) before the change appears.

Download (complete): http://www.4shared.c..._Extension.html
Or download rundll32.exe.manifest file only: http://www.4shared.c...undll32exe.html

2. "New Folder" Button in XP Explorer Toolbar / Command Bar (just like Windows 7):

Actually Windows XP already has its own "Make a new folder" button too, to create a new folder in Windows Explorer (it's located in XP Webview Panel/Common Task Pane, see screenshot: http://img243.images...folderbutt.jpg/ ), but yeah some people would love it's on the explorer toolbar as well as Open/Save dialog box (and just like Windows 7 RTM Explorer now). Hopefully useful for you...

Since Baxbex new folder offered only old Windows 98 style icon (not matching with new XP visual style) see: http://www.baxbex.co...xnewfolder.html , then you can just download this free add on for new folder button in XP Explorer Toolbar (my created-skinned/reshacked bxnewfolder with Vista / 7 style icon etc) + using hotkey and floating dialog box, + external manifest file (explorer.exe.manifest) to enable XP / Visual style on some controls as above. Fully functional and working as well. See online screenshots: http://img263.images...oninxpexpl.jpg/ and http://img263.images...dialogboxa.jpg/

-> Screenshots of "New Folder" button on XP Explorer Toolbar:
(Sorry can't display more larger images here for some technical reason):

A. Vista / 7 style icon new folder on XP Toolbar:

Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

B. Creating new folder on XP Explorer:

Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

C. Creating new folder dialog box - useful and cleaner UI with XP / Vista visual style:
Posted Image

Download it Here:

http://www.4shared.c...er_Toolbar.html

Hopefully still useful especially for XP users here (works on 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003..., while it has only dialog box and hotkey on Vista and 7 though). By the way, since this one is just using the same library from baxbex new folder (it's freeware, all credits and thanks to Baxbex), and most people had complaint about that they were not able to reshack the app using Resource Hacker / any res editor to change the original "old" Windows 98 style icon etc in the bx toolbar, actually it's because the file (activeX dll) was encrypted and compressed (packed) with 3rd party PE compressor (e.g UPX, Execryptor...), after checking it by PEid then i found it that was Aspack 2.12 and then decided to unpack it, (note: not all app binaries can work properly after they are unpacked, so it's also necessary to dissassembly, dump and rebuild the PE headers, some fixes and rechecks etc) until the dll was registered fine, finally the little work was kinda like reverse engineering rather than just reshacking lol. And since it was unpacked (uncompressed), the size become little bigger of course lol although there's no problem with it, anyway i wish they would also update the app in near future, soon...

Updated: If you already have standard/original Baxbex New Folder application installed: http://www.baxbex.com/ , then you can also just download this smaller patch only to get Vista style icon (would also give the similar result): http://www.4shared.c...atch_Only_.html

3. FolderBox for Windows Explorer (Unpacked too/Skinned/skinnable):

A free application that displays additional folders (window) in the lower part of Windows Explorer, displays the contents of two folders or more, useful and cool (with Windows 98 icons though). So i just changed some few UI features of it (unpacked and res-edited like BxNewFolder above, "fixed" text, enabled "dead" icons and so on...). a free application that displays additional folders (window) in the lower part of Windows Explorer, displays the contents of two folders or more, very useful. Since it's already unpacked, you may customize the icons yourself if you want later, by using any capable delphi res editor e.g PE Explorer. At least it's still better than original look imo, + also enabled (some) XP visual common controls as said above, works well on Vista and Windows 7 as well as Windows XP:

Screenshot:
Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

Edit/Updated: Beside the standard one, i've just added FolderBox with Vista Icons (on its toolbar - see screenshots), sorry just got them for free (free Vista toolbar icons, 100% legal). Just like the standard one, FolderBox with Vista icons will work well on all Windows versions: 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, and Windows 7 without any problem so far:

Screenshot of FolderBox (with Vista icons) on XP and Windows 7:
Posted Image
Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

Download it here:

http://www.4shared.c...ed-Skinned.html

Again this FolderBox version works on Windows all: 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Windows 7...all credits to Baxbex for the free original apps (just skinned them).

Updated: If you already have standard/original Baxbex FolderBox application installed: http://www.baxbex.com/ , then you can also just download this smaller patch only to get Vista style icons (would also give the similar result): http://www.4shared.c...atch_Only_.html

4. Another Useful File Viewer for XP Explorer With Preview Pane (just like Vista / Windows 7 feature):

Preview any file on Windows Explorer (text, documents, images, multimedia audio-video, compressed binaries etc) without using the default application, easy and faster:

Screenshot:
Posted Image
(Click to enlarge)

Updated: it's already included a patch to get Vista style icons too (optional) now, in the same download package below:

Download it here:

http://www.4shared.c...s_Explorer.html

OS: Windows XP, 2003, Vista, Windows 7...(Windows All).

You can also please visit my thread here for more options etc:
http://www.winmatrix...ew-pane-for-xp/

- Added Here: Some other free "special" shell extension-based tools/apps that might be useful for you (file viewers and metadata properties tools etc) here:

Download links:

- EXIF tooltip & tag editor on context menu :
http://www.4shared.c...Windows_Xp.html

- Multimedia tooltip & tag editor on context menu (album art + metadata editor etc) :
http://www.4shared.c...r_Explorer.html

- Thumbnail for text files on Windows Explorer :
http://www.4shared.c..._explorer_.html

- Vista Explorer preview pane for XP (File viewer-Complete) :
http://www.4shared.c...ane_for_Xp.html

- MacOSX/Leopard-style Coverflow (AKA Quicklook) for Windows Explorer (directory, file content, & thumbnail viewer etc):
Explorer Coverflow for Windows by Vemod - aqua-soft.org (full credits to him) :
http://www.aqua-soft...showtopic=52376 Edit: there are still "afew issues" with Vista/7 though, also seems it's not quite stable on XP. Anyhow it's still free and working, and seems the app itself is still under development/being developed...(thanks to my friend Kyosan for the info btw).

Note: XP/2003: You need administrator rights to install the shell extensions. Vista/Windows 7: Make sure you always install/register/run "as administrator" (self explanatory)...

Enjoy and long live XP! Would still keep supporting it for good...cya

B) :D

Edited by AMIRZ, 17 November 2009 - 10:59 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!