• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

Attached Files

Edited by Jatin, 07 August 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#2 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,760 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

Wow, very useful! :D

#3 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

Could you post a screenie with the WDS integrated into the start menu?

#4 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

:) Sorry mate i mean the WDS Searchbar (Deskbar) is under Xp start menu. You have to drag it by unlocking the taskbar, from its default place (please see my attachment). In my personal opinion, its still better than many fake searchbar on most good-looking vista themes (both VS and Window Blinds), because its functional. unless you are also using Vistart (the searchbar is functional though limited, i hope it will be integrated with WDS indexing service sometime in the future like real Vista). Personally i m not using it...

Once again, it's just my personal opinion... :) . Instead, Just follow your heart... :P :)

Btw in Vista SP1 (clean install), the Start menu searchbar has been disabled by default because of the Google Antitrust i think :huh: (you have to enable it manually)...

- Note: Some antivirus and antispyware programs (rare) may flag the softwares/installers (packed) as being infected/malware, although the application is perfectly safe and does not pose a threat to your system. This is called a "false positive". The term false positive is used when antivirus software wrongly classifies an innocuous ( inoffensive ) file as a virus. The incorrect detection may be due to heuristics or to an incorrect virus signature in a database. You can also use the "unpacked" / files only instead (installing manually) to avoid any annoying false alarm (alternative way).

Oh sorry forgot to mention this also, please "be more selective". Only install apps which you need and like, since you're not required to get them all. They are all just optional/additional features, in other words, your Windows (meant Windows XP here) will still work "normally" as usual without them (although not "optimally" yea as you wish). Just remember, more apps = more resource and so on, so please consider before installing anything. Thank you for your attention and pardon my very bad English. Hopefully clear...Anyway keep rocking XP! :P

=====================================================================

ANOTHER GUIDE: ONE GOOD EXAMPLE OF CUSTOMIZING/ENHANCING XP TO MAKE IT LOOK AND BEHAVE LIKE VISTA
(ALSO WINDOWS 7)

(In A Simplest/Minimalistic Way Without Being 100% Vista “Copycat” Lol)...

Important Note: You can always customize your Windows Xp less or more or as much as you want, that’s why it’s called “personal desktop” anyways. You’re not required to make it 100% look or behave like Vista, but still “enhance” it instead (Usability is still more important than eye candy anyways IMHO)…Some further tweaks maybe required as well.
You can also find/get some links for these items mainly from the main list above of course (“List of Most Vista/Windows 7 Applications and Features for Xp”) or just google them as usual etc.
PS: On Windows 7 Beta, even some Vista native applications (e.g Windows Meeting Space and PhotoGallery) have been removed (get the replacements from both Windows Live and Office Live).
Any effort to get them all is still relevant since Windows 7 is an enhanced version of Vista...

- DESKTOP/SHELL GUI:
Bootscreen: Just Standard Xp or another one with Tuneup Utilities (better than “empty”black Vista BS imo)
Logon Screen: One from Xpize with Tuneup Utilities
Themes/VS: VistaXp by KOL
Wallpapers: Original Vista Wals
Screensavers: Original Vista SS ported to Xp
Most Shell Icons: Get them from VTP 9 (selective install)
Vista Start Menu: Customize Xp Start Menu Without Vistart and Any Third Party: http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=20450

ANIMATED GUI (DWM Emulation):
Shadow: Y’z Shadow
Transparency: Border Skin (optional, too bad transparency sucks on Xp, mainly with topdesk)
Animated Icon: Uber Icon (optional)
Animated window: Window FX
Flip3d: Topdesk and Vista Flip3d icon
Taskbar Thumbnail: Visual Tooltip
Transparent window and always on top: PowerMenu (optional)

WINDOWS EXPLORER FEATURES:
Explorer Breadcrumb Addressbar: Folder Pilot or QTTabbar or Minimalist Explorer Breadcrumb
Vista Favorite Links: FindeXer
Vista Live Icon/Thumbnail and Metadata: Get More Thumbnail and Metadata on Xp
Vista Viewer Pane and Search: Get Vista Explorer Preview Pane and Search on Xp
Vista Command Prompt on Context Menu: Command Prompt PowerToy
Vista New Window on Context Menu: Add New Window on Context Menu

ORIGINAL VISTA APPLICATIONS:
IE7: IE7 or IE8
WMP 11: WMP 11 with Vista WMP 11 Skin or Windows 7 WMP 12 Skin either
Windows PhotoGallery: Windows Live Photo Gallery
Windows Mail: Windows Live Mail
Windows Calendar: Windows Live Mail or/and MS Works Calendar
Windows Movie Maker: Windows Movie Maker with Vista Skin by fediaFedia
Windows DVD Maker: Microsoft PhotoStory 3 with Sonic DVD Burning Plug In or Better to get Sonic RecordNow with/without DVD Studio or Nero
Explorer DVD Burning: ISO powertoy and IMAPI V2
Windows Notepad, Paint, Calculator: Vista ones ported to Xp
Windows Defender: Windows Defender for Windows Xp
Windows Search: Windows Search 4.0 for Xp
Windows Sidebar: Windows Sidebar ported to Xp by Ricktendo
Windows Media Center: MCE 2005 or Windows Media Center for Xp with Vista Skin
Windows Meeting Space: Just Net Meeting or Microsoft SharedView
Tablet PC Applications:
Snipping Tool: Vista Snipping Tool ported to Xp
Sticky Notes: Sticky Notes ported to Xp
Windows Journal: Windows Journal ported to Xp
Windows Tablet PC Input Panel: Tablet PC Input Panel for Windows Xp
Windows Vista Games: Vista Games ported to Xp
DirectX10, .Net Framework 3.0, IMAPI V2 etc: They all have been ported to Windows Xp as well (read the list/google...)
Etc.

Again sorry for not being so complete, instead this is just one example (from my previous desktop), and you can always customize your Xp much more better completely just like/following the entire list or another alternative source of course, still your own choice and taste…anyhow it’s still recommended to only get the most wanted or needed/favorite features for you (remember that more apps=more resources), do it selectively. Anyway good luck and long live Xp indeed… :D cya

Attached Files

Edited by AMIRZ, 30 August 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#5 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

:) Sorry mate i mean the WDS Searchbar (Deskbar) is under Xp start menu. You have to drag it by unlocking the taskbar, from its default place (please see my attachment). In my personal opinion, its still better than many fake searchbar on most good-looking vista themes (both VS and Window Blinds), because its functional. unless you are also using Vistart (the searchbar is functional though limited, i hope it will be integrated with WDS indexing service sometime in the future like real Vista). Personally i m not using it...

Once again, it's just my personal opinion... :). Instead, Just follow your heart... :P :)

Btw in Vista SP1 (clean install), the Start menu searchbar has been disabled by default because of the Google Antitrust i think :huh: (you have to enable it manually)...

Ah yes, I see.

#6 henrydtv

henrydtv

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,111 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

Great post i really liked it. The search is so much faster! doesn't really fit with my mac theme though :(

#7 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

now if only the preview pane could be set to show u on the right side, instead of the bottom.

#8 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

now if only the preview pane could be set to show u on the right side, instead of the bottom.

:( Yes, I'd like/prefer if it could be on the right side like original Vista. Unfortunately, it's impossible since it's a Vista only shell extension by design. We can't add it on Windows Xp Shell as new COM object (at least for me :blink: )...unless you are the OS maker (MS) who knows the source code.., (or something like shell emulation, please? Edit: Visplore? lol) :D

Xp Explorer (like IE) only has bottom-horizontal and left-vertical explorer bar (you can access the explorer bars by Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer menu bar: View > Explorer Bar),while Windows Previewer is currently using the horizontal one as preview pane on Windows Explorer.

You can still get (custom) right side- preview pane on WDS (Windows Desktop Search), but it is an independent application rather than a "real" Explorer itself. As the behavior is made so integrated with Explorer by MS (even no 3rd party search applications like that so far). Btw, to make them looks "nearly similar" with each other, it's recommended to also changed the WDS preview pane layout to bottom as well as Windows Previewer's one (as you can see the screenshot), not vice versa though... :P

Again, I know it may not be as perfect as original Vista previewer, sometimes may crush for some big file etc, but it's still better than nothing at all, at least as a "down-level" feature, especially for Xp Explorer, and if Xp users want to customize/enhance the OS like Vista by having the Vista like file viewer feature, i think this is one of some good ways that available to go so far (please read my first post/entire thread for more options).

Finally, Long-live Xp! :P :punk:

Edited by AMIRZ, 29 March 2009 - 04:32 AM.

#9 DoeJoe

DoeJoe

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

I never knew about that search engine. Is it possible to move the search icon to the right of the time like a Mac?

Edited by DoeJoe, 22 August 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#10 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

I never knew about that search engine. Is it possible to move the search icon to the right of the time like a Mac?

Ummm... :unsure: Possibly yes (there's no guarantee..) because it's about the look/UI resources, try to reshack any WDS resource files (most are dlls) by using e.g Resource Hacker/Resource Editor. Usually you can edit/add more visual resources of executable/dll's without altering the main code. But it's still tampered...and better (lol :P )

Also for:

Great post i really liked it. The search is so much faster! doesn't really fit with my mac theme though :(

EDIT: If you prefer a Desktop Search program with "Mac" style (MacOSX Spotlight), you can try MacSearch: http://landvermesser.../MacSearch.html

It looks cool as alternative to Spotlight ("ported" to Windows OS), but if you really prefer Vista, again, just choose WDS for Xp as the only one way to go...and it's better in function and look (at least to me :P )

Again,...anyway, just follow your heart...taste, and need. Good luck ;)

Edited by AMIRZ, 07 September 2008 - 01:58 PM.

#11 Carlos Diaz

Carlos Diaz

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

Hello AMIRZ!
I cannot download the Windows Desktop Search / WDS (Windows Search 4.0/the latest WDS version) by follow the link you provided to Microsoft :
http://www.microsoft.....ab=Install It
I selected the correct version Windows XP (32-bit) but the this error message prompt appeared:
Attached File  Error.JPG   21.55K   70 downloads
What did I do wrong? How do I download the WDS?
Please help.

Thanks.

#12 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

:) Hello Carlos, lol it's long no see Bro, Merry Christmas. The link seems outdated since MS may have updated the download page or the application:

To download Windows Search (formerly Windows Desktop Search/WDS) for XP (32 bit/X86) all editions (SP2/SP3) then use this direct link:

http://download.micr...-XP-x86-enu.exe

To download other versions of Windows Search (for Xp 64 bit and Vista):

http://www.microsoft.....ab=Install It

Or you can also use Google as your best friend instead

:( Btw grrr i had accidentally deleted (reformatted) all partitions of my hard drive in the main computer and lost most of my own apps and data even all my current works e.g Windows Media Center (port) installer for Xp project and some updates/fixes of other jobs... how stupid...without f**ing backup at all. :cry: i'm very frustrated :( , still recollecting, redownloading, and restarting all of them now
please wish me luck everybody, thx alot for your kind support... :(

PS: Conclusion: Please always back up your data before something happened....

#13 Carlos Diaz

Carlos Diaz

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:30 AM

Thanks AMIRZ.
i hope you had a joyful Xmas.
Of all people, you would be the last person I expect to make such a "rookie"
mistake..J/K. I wish you all the luck that you need in orfer to get your engine back up and running properly.

HAPPY NEW YEAR. :fun:

Edited by Carlos Diaz, 26 December 2008 - 02:33 AM.

#14 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:59 AM

Many Thanks AMIRZ. It's really useful :P I have a small question: how to repalce these icons with new icons ?? Please see the image. Thank again :D

Image: http://img301.images...75046221gq5.jpg

Edited by kyosan, 26 December 2008 - 05:01 AM.

#15 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

:) Thanks and you're welcome Carlos, although i don't celebrate Christmas but i also feel joy and Happy new year to you and everybody too. And Kyosan, you're welcome Bro, to replace the icon you can reshack the file resources directly in the directory: "C:\Program Files\Windows Previewer\WinPreviewer.dll" (or %ProgramFiles%\Windows Previewer\WinPreviewer.dll) by using i.e resource hacker or any other binary/resource editor such as PE Explorer etc. Yes i know that may seem ugly, so i recommend to disable that toolbar icon by Explorer menu bar -> View -> Toolbar then uncheck "Windows Previewer Toolbar", lol misdesign.
To launch the preview pane instead, go to: View -> Explorer Bar -> Preview Pane, it's better and the preview pane doesnt show at start up (Windows and Windows Explorer) anymore. (Compared with Vista : Organize -> Layout -> Preview Pane). To add/edit preview handlers: Start Menu -> All Programs -> Windows Previewer -> Windows Previewer Options.
Sorry for it's only as Vista Previewer substitution/replica for Xp, not as good as the Vista one, slower etc and so on, but at least still better than nothing at all for Xp, and it's still functional for previewing though not perfect. No any resources (running) or might be very very little needed in memory if you dont launch/use it to preview a file since it's just a COM object (shell in-process). Cheers. :)
Edit: Btw, hey it looks cool in your Mac/Leopard theme, just like Leopard Quicklook...

Edited by AMIRZ, 26 December 2008 - 07:45 AM.

#16 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Awesome thread dude! (Y)

#17 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:39 AM

Awesome thread dude! (Y)

Thanx Bro :)

#18 kyosan

kyosan

Active WinMatrixian

• 770 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:58 AM

:) Thanks and you're welcome Carlos, although i don't celebrate Christmas but i also feel joy and Happy new year to you and everybody too. And Kyosan, you're welcome Bro, to replace the icon you can reshack the file resources directly in the directory: "C:\Program Files\Windows Previewer\WinPreviewer.dll" (or %ProgramFiles%\Windows Previewer\WinPreviewer.dll) by using i.e resource hacker or any other binary/resource editor such as PE Explorer etc. Yes i know that may seem ugly, so i recommend to disable that toolbar icon by Explorer menu bar -> View -> Toolbar then uncheck "Windows Previewer Toolbar", lol misdesign.
To launch the preview pane instead, go to: View -> Explorer Bar -> Preview Pane, it's better and the preview pane doesnt show at start up (Windows and Windows Explorer) anymore. (Compared with Vista : Organize -> Layout -> Preview Pane). To add/edit preview handlers: Start Menu -> All Programs -> Windows Previewer -> Windows Previewer Options.
Sorry for it's only as Vista Previewer substitution/replica for Xp, not as good as the Vista one, slower etc and so on, but at least still better than nothing at all for Xp, and it's still functional for previewing though not perfect. No any resources (running) or might be very very little needed in memory if you dont launch/use it to preview a file since it's just a COM object (shell in-process). Cheers. :)
Edit: Btw, hey it looks cool in your Mac/Leopard theme, just like Leopard Quicklook...

Thank you so much ;)

#19 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

Thank you so much ;)

:) You're welcome Bro. Btw, i have recovered most of my deleted (formatted) files by using recovery software (Getdataback NTFS lol although i have to purchase it for $79, i don't mind that it's a very helpful app), still recovering, thx alot to God and Winmatrix, everybody, and especially Google as our best friend... :D just an input if someone has same problem here...

PS: Beside this, again it's recommended to also have Microsoft Windows Search installed (The source code is very same with original Vista Search engine) for search tools with its preview pane, as the companion...so you will have current preview panes for both explorer and search tool (just like original Vista Explorer and Search). The search tool is very useful and faster. Good luck and Cheers!

Edited by AMIRZ, 31 December 2008 - 11:58 AM.

#20 superddman

superddman

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

Thanks Amirz for this great post.

I was wondering, if there is any way to integrate some indexing software (copernic, windows search, google search, x1...) into Directory Opus? I would like to be able to search within Directory Opus using one of these indexing applications and then display the results in Opus's quick view panel. Is this possible?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!