The Linux Info Thread

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 InlineSkate

InlineSkate

WinMatrix Addict

• 3,182 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Just FYI, i am planning a distro comparison between the big names once i get back from this weekend. The new Ubuntu will be in the comparison also.

Also, i am giving serious thought to doing an add-on thread of "how to fix common linux problems" thread.

sound good?

Just a note change the name in the title from Solo to Villain.

#62 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

Just FYI, i am planning a distro comparison between the big names once i get back from this weekend. The new Ubuntu will be in the comparison also.

Also, i am giving serious thought to doing an add-on thread of "how to fix common linux problems" thread.

sound good?

Good to hear. If you need any help let me know. :)

#63 pidgyy

pidgyy

f49907

• 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

I have just recently Installed Ubuntu (dual booting with win vista) and GRUB had completly f*cked my windows partition.

#64 hab

hab

Active WinMatrixian

• 996 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:06 AM

The new Ubuntu 10.04 kinda sucks - so many people have problems with it - especially installation problems

#65 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

The new Ubuntu 10.04 kinda sucks - so many people have problems with it - especially installation problems

really? 10.04 gave me no problems at all. installs worked fine, everything was smooth and good.

#66 Afzal

Afzal

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,668 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

really? 10.04 gave me no problems at all. installs worked fine, everything was smooth and good.

same here but I don't like how updating the kernel effs up my whole boot setup.

Here's my setup:

In bios, the boot order is SDB first (and then SDA)

SDB contains a Bios Boot Partition containing the files needed to boot grub which is in sdb1 (or something)

and SDA contains the Windows boot manager etc. I chainload the Windows boot manager from Grub2.

Whenever grub2 or the kernel updates, grub2 gets installed in SDA overwriting the windows boot sector.

is there any way to correct this?

#67 ayoshi

ayoshi

Active WinMatrixian

• 722 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks! Bookmarked for future reference :woot:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!