• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:29 AM

@ Solo

My pleasure sir. Those days are unforgettable , When I was a confused Ubuntu/Linux guy with so many self made problems and wandering. help came from Solo, adrynalyne and Yanike. I am always thankful to you all

I have high respect and affection towards this forum. I always feels family here with so many experienced people around, healthy atmosphere and minor altercations.

Hope we can make this such a big thread even linux users will search for "The Linux Info Thread, Solo's suggestions for newcomers to Linux" in WinMatrix

#42 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

hey, i just remember back when i first got in to linux, there was not wobbly windows, heck, nano was not even in there yet, you HAD to use either vi or emacs to edit config files.

and solo hates vi and emacs. :D

XF86Setup had so many options back then it was a perfect candidate for a bad layout award. auto-detection of sound-cards was non-existant, usb support just did not exist. your mouse and keyboard was either ps/2 or 9-pin com mouse (AKA Serial).

you HAD to know your monitor refresh rates, grub did not exist, and lilo was king for booting.

i was using the predecessor to what would eventually become SCO Linux (how funny!), they had the only graphical set up there was on the market. really all of the X baised setup windows was copied / inspired from them.

so yeah, i remember how much of a hard time i had getting it to work, even though new users done have to go through all of that now, i do want to help out new users and let them become much more comfortable in the linux world.

#43 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Graphic designers, movie editors, music composers, and multimedia addicts have specific needs when it comes to software. That is why there are specialized Linux distributions that cater to them.

Here are 7 Linux distros that will surely win the hearts of multimedia enthusiasts:
1. Ubuntu studio
Ubuntu Studio is an officially renowned offshoot of the Ubuntu Linux distribution which is clearly geared to general multimedia production. It contains an amazing list of audio software for editing and playback such as ardour, audacious, mixxx, and much more. Graphic design and modeling applications are also included such as GIMP, Inkscape and Blender, along with plugins like dcraw to help with RAW camera files and wacom-tools for people with Wacom drawing tablets. PiTiVi, Kino, Cinepaint are included for video creation.

GeeXboX
GeeXboX, as described from its website, is a free embedded Linux distribution which aims at turning your computer into a so called HTPC (Home Theater PC) or Media Center. Despite its tiny ISO image size, the distribution comes with complete and automatic hardware detection, not requiring any driver to be added. It supports playback of nearly any kind of audio/video and image files and all known codecs and containers are shipped in, allowing playing them through various physical supports, either being CD, DVD, HDD, LAN or Internet.

3. ArtistX
ArtistX is based on Debian GNU/Linux and contains nearly all the available free audio (Rosegarden, Ardour, TerminatorX, Cecilia/Csound, Gnusound, Mixxx ) 2D graphics (Gimp, Inkscape, Nip2, Krita, Cinepaint, Synfig, Rawstudio, Skencil ) and 3D graphics (Wings3D, Kpovmodeler + Povray 3.6, K3D) and video software (Cinelerra, Kino, Openmovieeditor, Kdenlive, Pitivi, Avidemux) for the GNU/Linux computing platform. It doesn't need to be installed, and boots directly into a running system without touching hard drives.

4. dyne:bolic
dyne:bolic is shaped on the needs of media activists, artists and creatives as a practical tool for multimedia production: you can manipulate and broadcast both sound and video with tools to record, edit, encode and stream, having automatically recognized most device and peripherals: audio, video, TV, network cards, firewire, usb and more; all using only free software. It is optimized to run on slower computers, turning them into full media stations.

5. Musix
Musix GNU+Linux is a Live CD and Live DVD Linux distribution based on Knoppix, Kanotix and Debian GNU/Linux. It contains a collection of software for audio production, graphic design, video editing and general purpose apps. Some of the programs included are: Rosegarden and Ardour (audio processor), both for musicians; Inkscape for vectorial design; GIMP for manipulation of images; Cinelerra for video editing and Blender3D for 3D animation.

6. 64 Studio
64 Studio is based on Debian designed for creative users on x86-64 and legacy 32-bit hardware architectures. It intends to serve as an all-in-one solution for audio and video recording, editing, and other forms of media production. An alternative installer is available for systems with 32-bit processors.

7. StartCom MultiMedia Edition
The StartCom MultiMedia Edition is most famous for its audio and video manipulation capabilities, but also for the wide range of the delivered applications. StartCom Linux is using the latest in open source technology and with its advanced audio and video manipulation capabilities makes this operating system an excellent platform for music and video production. It contains outstanding applications like Cinelerra, Rosegarden, Audacity and many,many sound manipulating effect tools, synthesizers, samplers, sequencers. It also has a TV/Video/File streaming server and client for easier audio and video sharing.

The full credit goes to jun auza of Tech Source from Bohol

Read full story here with screen shots and links

#44 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

1. Ubuntu studio

Having used it before (7.10), i can say that it is absolutely GREAT! As an amateur graphics artist, the Gimp and Inkscape work great :D and it has this great "dark" art theme too!

#45 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

Optimize Ubuntu 8.04 for speed - Speed up Hardy Hereon

So what if Ubuntu is a fast operating system?... There is always room for some more tweaking... and I am talking here about some aspects that are NOT useful for the end-users (yes YOU, the regular Ubuntu user). The hacks presented in this guide will greatly improve the overall performance of your Ubuntu 8.04 Linux OS.

Warning - Read the comments before applying the tweaks :unsure:

Read here about the tweaks

#46 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

Which is the popular Linux Distro. Ubuntu or Fedora. Several arguments can be found. For those who are thinking to try a Linux Distro, make choice after reading this........

Over the past decade, Linux has emerged from a herd of obscure and nerdy operating systems to warrant a place in even the most technologically unsophisticated business environments. And in the past three years, a few distributions have made stupendous leaps in performance and usability, winning the affection of millions of mainstream desktop users.

The recent releases of Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9--two top Linux distributions--mark another step forward in the evolution of the Linux desktop. I've been running both of them to see which offers the better blend of usability and advanced features.

PC WORLD report

#47 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

Frylock have a problem of installing Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu Hardy.

Search the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) for Envy NG. Install envyng-gtk and envyng-core (required). Go to the System > Administration menu, click on Hardware Drivers, and then enable the NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver checkbox in the Device Driver tree.
Reboot. Hopefully done B)

For command line installation (I prefer this always, dependencies will get automatically installed)

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
sudo nvidia-xconfig

For a complete installation instruction or setup procedure for Ubuntu.............

Here is Guide for Hady Heron

#48 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

:P For Linux users searching for installation queries,sound problems,Application Installations, Tweaking and for following

1. Install Ubuntu(and other Linux distro's) on a Pen Drive under Windows

2. Convert CHM files to HTML/PDF

Convert text files to MP3 under Linux4.

4. Transforming your Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop to look like Mac OS X

A Newbies guide to Linux Console.

6. Converting PDF to PNG/JPG using ImageMagick in Linux

Making Music(Beats) on Linux/Ubuntu with Hydroge
n

8. Cheese : Easy to use WebCam application for Linux

9. Download YouTube videos with UTube Ripper

and a lot more

Linux on Desktop by Ambuj Varshney :woot: B)

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 30 August 2008 - 07:51 PM.

#49 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

Why do all KDE apps have a K in the beginning or end of the app name? In Gnome, each app has its own name, with no reference to the DM. Why is this?

And what are the main differences between deb and rpm? Yes, I have been on Google. I just want a simple answer.

Edited by CommonSense, 10 October 2008 - 09:57 PM.

#50 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

Except Gnome rest maximum DEs apps begins with the first letter of DE. KDE, XFCE etc. Most of the apps works in other environment but still recommended with the certain DE only. To recognize which program works with What DE, the prefixing is helpful

simply deb is debian based software package format for debian based distro

rpm - redhat linux package manager
for more refer wikipedia

#51 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

One more thing, why is wireless so SLOW? I think it's my wlan card (Broadom 43xx). I haven't tested it in Windows yet, but I'm sitting in the room next to it and I have Transmission torrent dl speed of 10-30 KB. Can someone enlighten me?

BTW, I'm running LinuxMint. I like it more than Ubuntu. Sorry phoenix_abhi.

#52 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:12 AM

One more thing, why is wireless so SLOW? I think it's my wlan card (Broadom 43xx). I haven't tested it in Windows yet, but I'm sitting in the room next to it and I have Transmission torrent dl speed of 10-30 KB. Can someone enlighten me?

BTW, I'm running LinuxMint. I like it more than Ubuntu. Sorry phoenix_abhi.

What is your ISP? Some ISP's throttle P2P file sharing (includes Limewire, Torrents etc.)

#53 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

Hi CS ur sig is beautifully created and simple. :)
Ubuntu or LinuxMint I support Linux and open source (No piracy :D ).

I can show u thread in Ubuntuforums containing 98 pages :devil: on installation and trouble shooting of BC wireless cards.

The tutorial worked for 70 % Ubuntu users. If the linuxMint is Ubuntu based it will work for u too

BC WL

#54 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:27 PM

Thanks, about my sig :)

And I used the Driver Detection feature or whatever it's called that is in Ubuntu/Linux Mint. It automatically finds and configures the Broadcom card. It was still slow. Like it would bounce from 90% to like 60%. I'm like wow :huh: .

Thanks for posting that link. I'll check them in my freetime. I appreciate all the help. :)

#55 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

(Y) (Y) (Y) The best thread i have ever seen! Simple and informative, Thx for this! :D

Even as a Windows User, i also love Linux, especially Ubuntu as (they) are icons of "freedom". Even Ubuntu is very impressive OS to me! Again, very great thread! (Y)

#56 coldemone

coldemone

Sleeping Winmatrixian

• 2,029 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

reading this whole thread made me think of trying linux. But unless i have my own pc i will not be able to install any kind of linux.

damn i tried linux in my mom's office and it looks cool yet free. So want to freakin try it, i kind of getting ickish on windows.

#57 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

A lot of people connected to Net using mobile phone as Modem. Here is a "how to" for NOKIA owners to use it with Ubuntu distributions

This worked on a nokia n80, n73, 6230(somethinsimilar..is a folder java phone), 7610, 6630 & 6680....

This is how to do it...

Connect your phone via datacable
open terminal & type

lsusb

now u will get the following output

owais@owais-desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0421:0445 Nokia Mobile Phones
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:092f Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
owais@owais-desktop:~$

it is on my compter,ur will not be exactly the same...

Now note the line in which NOkia Mobile Phones is written...it has two number one is 0421 & other is 0445...we'll take these numbers as 0x421 & 0x445

0421 is the Vendor ID & 0445 is the Product ID

Now enter this comand.

sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x(vid) product=0x(pid)

eg, in my case::: sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0×421 product=0×445

Now enter this command

wvdialconf create
u'll get a long output which will be like

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
Port Scan: S0 S1 S2 S3
WvModem: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 — OK
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z — OK
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 — OK
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 — OK
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 — OK
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 — OK
ttyACM0: Modem Identifier: ATI — Nokia
ttyACM0: Speed 4800: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 9600: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 19200: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 38400: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 57600: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 115200: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 230400: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Speed 460800: AT — OK
ttyACM0: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyACM0: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 — OK
Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.
Modem configuration written to create.
ttyACM0: Speed 460800; init “ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0″

NOw.. notice the output says that there is a modem at /dev/ttyACM0 & max speed is 460800

now enter this command

sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

A file will open in text editor...now delete everything in that file & paste the following there

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = Your Modem Name(eg, /dev/ttyACM0 in my case)
Baud = ur max speed(460800 in my case)
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99#
Username = username
Password = password
Stupid Mode = 1

save the file & you are done

NOw whenevr u need to connect...open terminal & type wvdial,,wait till some sort of IP adress is displayed like

pppd: �[06][06][08]` [06][08]
primary DNS address 218.248.240.135
secondary DNS address 218.248.240.79

Now you are connected....hit cntrl+c to dissconnect...

U can also create a laucher on desktop(application in terminal) & keep the command as wvdial..now double click it & u r connected

An abstract from Ubuntuforums

#58 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

Just FYI, i am planning a distro comparison between the big names once i get back from this weekend. The new Ubuntu will be in the comparison also.

Also, i am giving serious thought to doing an add-on thread of "how to fix common linux problems" thread.

sound good?

#59 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

i am giving serious thought to doing an add-on thread of "how to fix common linux problems" thread.

sound good?

Sounds great! (Y)

#60 PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

I'm an Android fanboy sue me

• 4,090 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Just FYI, i am planning a distro comparison between the big names once i get back from this weekend. The new Ubuntu will be in the comparison also.

Also, i am giving serious thought to doing an add-on thread of "how to fix common linux problems" thread.

sound good?

Cant wait to read your opinion/results

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!