The Linux Info Thread

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

I was with Ubuntu for more than six months and never worried about Viruses and worms in Linux.

Solo, ur update made me to think about that and found some good article in wikpedia. Linking

Linux Malware

#22 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

good work phoenix_abhi. any info is good info, and if it is the truth, then all the more better.

#23 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

@ solo
Ur welcome sir, :D

When I first entered to the Linux world, stayed away from the Terminal thing. I was uncomfortable with the error message

bash:xxxxxx: command not found

But later to my surprise,I found, the terminal is faster and main trouble shooter/ safe method than any other

So I have to learn some Bash commands, which will help you all 2

An A-Z Index of the Linux BASH command line

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 22 July 2008 - 05:05 PM.

#24 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

Ubuntu 8.04 was released a few days back and like the previous releases of Ubuntu,Ubuntu 8.04 does not include a number of essential codecs, applications etc because of number of licensing restrictions and also the limitation of accommodating more and more applications on a single CD. Though undoubtedly Ubuntu 8.04 is one of the most user friendly release of Ubuntu with inclusion of Firefox 3 (though it is beta version but still is way better than the current stable version of Firefox) ,inclusion of bit-torrent client , out of box support for playing youtube videos etc . Still someone trying to make the jump from Windows to Ubuntu might be interested in installing the following applications and codecs too .

Thanx to the original author Ambuj

You can set up ur Ubuntu completely after Live CD installation

1. Putting your repositories in order
2. Installing Multimedia codecs for GStreamer, Installing build-essential Package
3. Avant Window Navigator
4. Installing MPlayer with all codecs and dvd playing support
5. RealPlayer
6. Flash and Java Support
7. Firefox 2 Anyone ???
8. installing Microsoft fonts package
9. Adobe Reader
10. Downloader For X
11. aMule
12. . aMSN
13. Installing Linux DC++ Client
14. CheckGmail
15.Installing VLC Player : -
16. Audacity

Things to do on your new Ubuntu 8.04 Hard Heron Installation

Whenever a new release, this author update or post a new blog in the site

#25 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

I read your top 5 linux distros and I agree.
But just wondering, Solo, but what distro(s) do you use?
I used F9 and liked it, and now I'm trying Hardy...I like the Gnome environment.

Edited by motrack11, 30 July 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#26 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

well, due to a dual hdd failure, i am in ubuntu right now, running in LiveCD mode... because, you know, i have NO hdd's now. thank god for LiveCD Linuxeses!

#27 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

I read your top 5 linux distros and I agree.
But just wondering, Solo, but what distro(s) do you use?
I used F9 and liked it, and now I'm trying Hardy...I like the Gnome environment.

well, i am in Ubuntu Heron now, i just apt-get on KDE 4.1 through FTP source, compiled it, and it is GOOD......

I personally like swapping between Ubuntu, Fedora and Wolvix.
Ubuntu for ease of use, Fedora for the DieHard Geek, and Wolvix for the "Indie Linux" and it is damn small and works great.

As i said some place earlier, both of my hard drives failed this morning, so if it was not for Linux LiveCD mode, i would not even have a working PC.

#28 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

I know what you mean (HD wiped due to faulty Linux install...not fun). And yeah Ubuntu is great for the ease of use, but Fedora reminds me of Ubuntu (so I don't know what you mean by for the die hard geek). I'll look at Wolvix. Good luck with your Hard Drives Solo. Thanks for your opinions :)

I just looked at Wolvix. I really like it. Runs on xfce which means lightweight, looks good, and based off Slackware. There are way too many distros out there, but it's all personal opinion. Then again, any distro can be customized to will. Anyway, thanks for the new distro. I'm definitely going to try it.

Edited by motrack11, 30 July 2008 - 11:59 PM.

#29 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

I am die hard fan of Ubuntu, it is 3 in 1, 4 in 1 or all in 1. That can be Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xbuntu, LXDE or anything user want. Totally customizable. Sea of changes can be made. The repo has so many choices and going through all of them or trying them is nearly impossible

Mandriva - It made my MBR useless

F9 - I tried it in early stage and found some bugs ( specially manual configuring of network , DNS not saved after several attempts) Actually I installed it the next day of the release, Nice interface.

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 31 July 2008 - 03:13 PM.

#30 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

well, in all honesty, the last Fedora I personally installed and used was F5. hell, i still have the DVD here. (purchased, OnDisc, trying to support Linux Development)

Using Hardy now, with KDE4.1 , rocks. HARD.

Yes, i LOVED Wolvix, i used it on many PC's and Laptops that would / could not meet several other distro's hardware demands, and on top of that, it was very responsive.

I would easily drop almost any linux to go back to Wolvix.

#31 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

@phoenix_abhi
I installed F9 right after it's released and man did I have problems... Nice interface though I liked it.

@Solo
So your just booting Ubuntu with KDE 4.1. That's awesome. The newest KDE looks amazing. I still haven't been able to run Linux though since I can't install my wireless driver without Internet connection (I'm not home...on vacation). So once I get home, I'll probably end up dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu or Wolvix. Not sure how I want to do it yet...

Edited by motrack11, 01 August 2008 - 02:39 PM.

#32 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

I am dual booting Vista and Ubuntu Hardy x64.
The question is, How can I boot several Linux simultaneously from one HDD

@motrack11

U meant faced some problems in f9, correct

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 01 August 2008 - 07:19 PM.

#33 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

@phoenix_abhi
Haha, yeah you're right. I'm a typical American who doesn't speak the language correctly...
I haven't ran F9 in a while though...
I think I'll just run Ubuntu or Wolvix.

#34 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

Does Ubuntu need antivirus? :unsure:

This is a very common question that comes up on forums from new users migrating from Windows. The answer, of course, is "No, Ubuntu doesn't need antivirus." Linux (and sometimes Mac) users often get accused of being smug or complacent for saying they don't need antivirus, so I think I have to clarify that answer for the skeptics.

;)

Read More here A nicely written blog

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 06 August 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#35 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

One Question
I have three small linux distros (live CD) on my desktop. All the three together have the capacity of a CD. How can I make a Triple OS bootable single CD ?

#36 Gragier_521

Gragier_521

WinMatrixer

• 1,785 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

That's a LOT of stuff to read! Great thread!

#37 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

Thread Pinned!

#38 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

:) Another Jewel on Solo's crown

Thread pinned by Admin

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 13 August 2008 - 02:08 AM.

#39 uch_haiden

uch_haiden

WinMatrixian

• 224 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:32 AM

Does Ubuntu need antivirus? :unsure:

This is a very common question that comes up on forums from new users migrating from Windows. The answer, of course, is "No, Ubuntu doesn't need antivirus." Linux (and sometimes Mac) users often get accused of being smug or complacent for saying they don't need antivirus, so I think I have to clarify that answer for the skeptics.

;)

Read More here A nicely written blog

Linux does not really need an antivirus. The need of it usually comes when you still want to protect your peers if they are still stuck to Windows. For me, since I dual boot and use Linux for downloading, I installed ClamAV.

But for those who developed a Windows phobia for security, installing an AntiVirus is no big deal.

#40 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

woot! i got pinned!
Major thanks to Phoenix ABHI, you kept me on my toes and added support when i was unable to do so. Thanks!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!