20 things Windows 7 MUST include

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

Windows Vista, the OS that everyone loves to hate. Despite its enhanced security, improved CPU scheduler and excellent stability, it’s still the flawed gem in many critics’ eyes. But can Microsoft win back the XP crowd with its upcoming Windows 7 offering? The fact is, they have to.
Source: Gadgetzone

20. Modularised OS: For easy modification like in Linux everything is modular and replaceable.
19. XP Virtual Machine: The biggest issue with Vista was compatibility with older software/drivers.
18. New UAC: UAC is a great idea, but it was too intrusive.
17. Gaming Mode: Which only initiates the required services for gaming.
15. Productive GUI: Productivity of Vista's Aero GUI wasn’t exactly enhanced all that much.
14. All for One and One for All: Only Home, Business/Pro, and Server editions.
13. WinFS: The infamous NTFS replacement.
12. Home User Licensing: Let’s say you have 3 PCs in your house and want to upgrade to Windows 7, but have to pay three times for three separate licences.
11. Driver Availability: Arguably the Achilles heel of Vista was the slow uptake of drivers by device manufacturers.
10. Standards Compliant Browser: There’s nothing more frustrating than coding a website which works fine in Firefox but not in IE.
9. Program Caching: A simple toolbar notification stating ‘Vista is caching your programs to improve speed would end all the confusion.
8. Microsoft Toolbox: For keeping system up-to-date without seeking drivers and patches manually.
7. OS Restoration via imaging: This image would be saved on another HDD or partition ready to restore in the case of a system failure.
6. Barebones Kernel: Allowing the user to choose between MinWin and the default kernel could allow older systems to run the new OS nicely.
5. 64bit only: Considering the 4GB memory addressing limit of 32bit, you can see that confused customers won’t be happy.
4. Better out-of-box burning capabilities: Vista cannot burn discs very well, and there is a severe lack of options.
3. Diagnostic Tools: It happens all the time, you build your own PC and the OS install constantly crashes. You blame the OS.
2. Faster Boot and Shutdown: A faster boot time would be a great first impression to many critics.
1. Simplify and manage startup items: A simple startup interface (not as daunting as the current MS Configuration Utility) and another feature would be to schedule programs to start after a certain amount of time.

Edited by M.Sudoku, 11 July 2008 - 01:25 PM.

#2 fromthehill

fromthehill

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

19. will use up a lot of resources on. especially on just vista capable machines
17. I want to run firefox and listen to music while gaming, who decides whats nessecary
15. opinions differ on what's productive
11. that's the manufacturer's fault, and the fault of people who want to run 1995 hardware on their vista pc
9. most ppl would just be confused if they saw that
6. most people don't know anything about that, and what is the point of a new os if you want the kernel of the old one
5. most ppl don't know about 64 bit. and you get ppl whining about compatibility problems

you always get people whining because of compatibility problems
people somehow always want their more than 10 year old hardware/sontware to run on a new OS

and the worst are the people who are blaming me because they bought vista for 300 euros and couldn't install it on their pentium 2 machine

Edited by fromthehill, 11 July 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#3 Syzygy

Syzygy

Zing.

• 3,470 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

and the worst are the people who are blaming me because they bought vista for 300 euros and couldn't install it on their pentium 2 machine

lol :lol: tell that to my parents

#4 ritesh

ritesh

WinMatrixian

• 171 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

20. probably not going to happen with microsoft
19. available as saperate download from microsoft
18. its changed and when starting first time a pop up menu come up asking weather you want to shut UAC off.
17. implemented in similar manner in windows 7 no need to set as gamming mode
16. not there in list...
15. yes they are working on it with WPF it would be lot better in aspects of productivity. they are working a better windows explorer...
14. may happen
13. sure in windows 7
12. microsoft should think on this..
11. will not be problem for windows 7 as microsoft is working with the partners and the core structure of win7 is same as that of vista..
10. it is not possible in next 3-5 yaers..
9. dont understand it..
8. implemented as Health Center in windows7
7. there should be a better backup and restore system because it is the worst feature of vista...
6. not going to be happen..
5. microsoft said that windows7 will be both 32bit and 64bit..
4. i think they should make someting but seems not going to happen..
3. microsoft should work on this..
2. possible in win7
1. ya

some other good features implementd in win7

1. A lot better installation procedure..
2. Finally a better boot screen with actual colors..
3. multi touch
4. better graphics for gaming and programs( as programs can now use directx and graphics card pipelline for graphics processing)

#5 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

I too would love a gaming mode

I also wholeheartedly agree with number 14.... NO MORE 12854912847192817294 SKU's!
Please stick with Home/Pro/Business/Server.... Should you keep 'Vista Ultimate Extras' make them available to all Windows users as "Windows Extras"

However Windows 7 WILL be released in both 32 and 64 bit versions... I have yet to decide if I wanna upgrade to 64 yet or not... :P

Edited by Frylock86, 11 July 2008 - 04:32 PM.

#6 Lord Devrexster

Lord Devrexster

Hardcore Winmatrixcian

• 999 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

Windows7 should be touchscreen based os. That will be something worthwhile to upgrade ur hardware for. And also wud increase productivity a million times.

Also, the ability to have non-rectangular windows.

#7 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

Would be nice if they made another edition of Windows 7:
Home
Gaming *NEW* =D
Professional
Business
Server

With Windows 7 Gaming they could skip inplementing unnecessary program and services and just focusing on games.

Edited by Emil2k, 11 July 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#8 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

Home
Gaming *NEW* =D
Professional
Business
Server

With Windows 7 Gaming they could skip inplementing unnecessary program and services and just focusing on games.

I don't think that would work. I for one use my PC for other things besides games... Its my work PC and entertainment center.... (IE I use Office 2007 and WMP/WMC)

#9 Pedgi

Pedgi

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

17. I want to run firefox and listen to music while gaming, who decides whats nessecary

Firefox and gaming is an odd combination, is it not? And use opera...
Anyways, I agree with most of these. I don't think there will be much of a gui change in 7, and thats good because i love the look of vista.
But yeah, there are some things they need to fix and some things they need to keep/toss.

Its my work PC and entertainment center.... (IE I use Office 2007 and WMP/WMC)

If it can run games it can run office, wmp, and ie.

#10 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

Home
Gaming *NEW* =D
Professional
Business
Server

I don't think that would work. I for one use my PC for other things besides games... Its my work PC and entertainment center.... (IE I use Office 2007 and WMP/WMC)

Yes, sure you still can use it as work and other things by installing programs. (Office 2007 isnt implemented in Windows, its a stand alone package which you can fully install) so, i dont see any problem there. :S

But if you use it as work and entertainment center more than gaming, why bother buy Gaming edition then? :)

#11 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

Great suggestions! I hope someone from Microsoft will read this post.

#12 Vienna™

Vienna™

Viva la Vista

• 83 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

Home
Gaming *NEW* =D
Professional
Business
Server

Yes, sure you still can use it as work and other things by installing programs. (Office 2007 isnt implemented in Windows, its a stand alone package which you can fully install) so, i dont see any problem there. :S

But if you use it as work and entertainment center more than gaming, why bother buy Gaming edition then? :)

One of Vista's shortcomings was the number of different versions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate... it's alll too confusing for the basc computer user. Keep in mind Microsoft is targeting the general population, not just computer experts. They have to please fans, critics, n00bs and 13375 all in one OS. Gotta give 'em credit for trying ;)

#13 vD3stroyiR(666)

vD3stroyiR(666)

Dekwul

• 696 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

Home
Gaming *NEW* =D
Professional
Business
Server

Pro and Business are the same thing, off topic. Anyway, isn't a Gaming edition basically an entertainment PC? In which case Home will work just fine with the right hardware... In stead of Gaming edition, why not call it Entertainment edition? Sounds more useful! :D

#14 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

I think a gaming mode would work better still. It would switch off any unessential services, which could be switched back on at a alter time, when they are needed again.

#15 Bogo

Bogo

Bogdan

• 651 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

I think a gaming mode would work better still. It would switch off any unessential services, which could be switched back on at a alter time, when they are needed again.

So that would mean that whenever I alt-tab in or out of the game I'd have to wait for Windows to start/shutdown those 'unessential services' before I can start doing anything?

Doesn't sound good.

#16 vD3stroyiR(666)

vD3stroyiR(666)

Dekwul

• 696 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

Doesn't sound useful. When I play games on my PC I also listen to music, chat on my Live Messenger, and am sometimes on the internet. Really, an Entertainment edition REALLY would sound better.

#17 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

20 - Not going to happen
19 - XP is no more supported, Why MS worry about that
18 - "Remember my answer" option is a good idea
17 - Go for gaming consoles, PC is known for the versatility, Gaming OS is useless
15 - Aero is not worthy
14 - Home and Pro is enough. Other OS available for server
13 - Agreed
12 - Agreed
11 - Not felt
10 - YES
09 - A more confusing option (may look feasible)
08 - YES
07 - THE MUST THING
06 - Not a good option, no new OS will workout
05 - Fully agreed, 64 bit migration
04 to 01 Agreed

Gaming OS is very unnecessary, coz gaming not only depend upon OS the Hardware requirements will also grow. At last again that OS get bashed

Aero is not all worthy, it takes a lot of resources, Linux has a lot of good theme like aero glass (not better) and uses nil resources. most of the windows apps are CPU munching, my memory lying useless while CPU is dying with WDM, SIDEBAR,firewall, taskmanager etc. Linux has a better approach towards the usage of CPU

#18 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Linux has a lot of good theme like aero glass (not better) and uses nil resources.

Don't kid yourself, Compiz-Fusion uses plenty of resources.

Its also an incredible battery drain for laptops.

#19 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

That only when u go for all the plug ins enabled. With more than 80 % of plug ins activated, my system a Pentium Dual core 3 Ghz with 3 GB RAM runs smoothly. My intention is not bashing and not interested, But Vista with Aero enabled kick the CPU 60 % and keep the both core always in rush. Any other 3-4 more apps will almost keep the system immovable. My clear intention is to reflect one of my OS drawback, which I observed. I never tried Compiz-fusion or Ubuntu in LAPTOp.

My plug ins are Animations, Cube and associated, Water,fire, elements,photo wheel, stack switch, ring switch, emerald(not compiz),thumbnail, freewins, draw desktop, u take the name I have almost everything enabled with in compiz fusion 0.7.6 provides

#20 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

That only when u go for all the plug ins enabled. With more than 80 % of plug ins activated, my system a Pentium Dual core 3 Ghz with 3 GB RAM runs smoothly. My intention is not bashing and not interested, But Vista with Aero enabled kick the CPU 60 % and keep the both core always in rush. Any other 3-4 more apps will almost keep the system immovable. My clear intention is to reflect one of my OS drawback, which I observed. I never tried Compiz-fusion or Ubuntu in LAPTOp.

My plug ins are Animations, Cube and associated, Water,fire, elements,photo wheel, stack switch, ring switch, emerald(not compiz),thumbnail, freewins, draw desktop, u take the name I have almost everything enabled with in compiz fusion 0.7.6 provides

Nah, there is something wrong with your OS.

Here are two screenshots of my cpu usage, one with nothing open but task manager, and one with 30 explorer windows open.

Currently, I still have those 30 explorer windows open, two instances of IE, one of them with three tabs open, notepad++, and MS Word 2007 open. My usage is jumping between 5-15% usage. Moving a window around makes it jump to about 25%. I dropped a screenshot for that too.

No big deal.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'd investigate updated video drivers, and try turning off the Windows sidebar. A lot of garbage widgets out there. Crap gadgets contribute far more to cpu hogging than Aero does.

I still havent closed any windows down and have had zero slowdown.

This is on a laptop with only 2gb ram and a lowly T7500 cpu.

Edited by adrynalyne, 13 July 2008 - 09:17 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!