20. Modularised OS: For easy modification like in Linux everything is modular and replaceable.
19. XP Virtual Machine: The biggest issue with Vista was compatibility with older software/drivers.
18. New UAC: UAC is a great idea, but it was too intrusive.
17. Gaming Mode: Which only initiates the required services for gaming.
15. Productive GUI: Productivity of Vista's Aero GUI wasn’t exactly enhanced all that much.
14. All for One and One for All: Only Home, Business/Pro, and Server editions.
13. WinFS: The infamous NTFS replacement.
12. Home User Licensing: Let’s say you have 3 PCs in your house and want to upgrade to Windows 7, but have to pay three times for three separate licences.
11. Driver Availability: Arguably the Achilles heel of Vista was the slow uptake of drivers by device manufacturers.
10. Standards Compliant Browser: There’s nothing more frustrating than coding a website which works fine in Firefox but not in IE.
9. Program Caching: A simple toolbar notification stating ‘Vista is caching your programs to improve speed would end all the confusion.
8. Microsoft Toolbox: For keeping system up-to-date without seeking drivers and patches manually.
7. OS Restoration via imaging: This image would be saved on another HDD or partition ready to restore in the case of a system failure.
6. Barebones Kernel: Allowing the user to choose between MinWin and the default kernel could allow older systems to run the new OS nicely.
5. 64bit only: Considering the 4GB memory addressing limit of 32bit, you can see that confused customers won’t be happy.
4. Better out-of-box burning capabilities: Vista cannot burn discs very well, and there is a severe lack of options.
3. Diagnostic Tools: It happens all the time, you build your own PC and the OS install constantly crashes. You blame the OS.
2. Faster Boot and Shutdown: A faster boot time would be a great first impression to many critics.
1. Simplify and manage startup items: A simple startup interface (not as daunting as the current MS Configuration Utility) and another feature would be to schedule programs to start after a certain amount of time.
Edited by M.Sudoku, 11 July 2008 - 01:25 PM.