Photo
- - - - -

Firefox 3 vulnerability, 8 million people affected!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

:( I do not know why people are so crazy to dispose FX3 as crap. Can anyone give me a browser 100 % ssecure. MS updates,most of them for fixing the IE leakages and security issues, Sahari (WINDOWS VER) also proved leaky. But FX3 just launched and surely dev fix it it soon, But it is not a crap as IE and Opera, Opera have add-on which checks the security strength, it gived Opera the lowest score <_<

#22 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

^ Er, "Opera have add-on which checks the security strength, it gived Opera the lowest score"

???

#23 timbertide

timbertide

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

Is it really that risky? Have all of you switched to other browsers?

No, I'm still using Firefox.

@Webtrance: What did you mean when you said "security risks are minimized by Microsoft"? I think IE is the least secure browser.

@phoenix_abhi: Opera is as good as Firefox.

Edited by timbertide, 22 June 2008 - 06:17 PM.

#24 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

I do not know why people are so crazy to dispose FX3 as crap.

Agreed... This is like Vista all over again... Treating it like some celebrity, watching it's every move, and making a huge deal of every minuscule flaw. Then the fanboys end up treating each browser as a religion or cult, trying to get people to use it... z0mG Op3rA pLo0x??? Seriously, drop it you guys. <_<

Use what you want to use and live with it. But if you seriously have nothing better to do than this, whatever...

This may turn out uglier than the damn OS war... :no:

#25 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

I'm happy with Opera 9.5 too.

I used to use Firefox, I still use. But Opera is my principal browser now. It's more light, uses less screen space.

A couple of years ago I was kind of anti-opera because of the compatibility issues, but nowadays that doesn't happen a lot.

Firefox 3 it's very nice. I will be a Firefoxer for ever I guess. But now, Opera 9.5 it's superior.

All those IE-based browsers for me are SH*#!

:D No offense

Edited by Laguna, 22 June 2008 - 07:35 PM.

#26 Massy

Massy

WinMatrixian

• 121 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

^ Er, "Opera have add-on which checks the security strength, it gived Opera the lowest score"

???

in that case lower its better!
lower means lower vulnerability.

#27 Webtrance

Webtrance

WinMatrixian

• 180 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:47 AM

@Webtrance: What did you mean when you said "security risks are minimized by Microsoft"? I think IE is the least secure browser.

I loved my old version of Firefox...had it all set-up and running just the way I like it. All I'm saying is that we're lacking all the good old plugins & themes we once had. Also, one must also consider all the plugins we keep downloading to make Firefox what we need. It can become bloated, not to mention broken, if a plugin becomes corrupt.

Bottom line, the new version of Firefox neeeds time to mature, time to get security issues worked out, more plugins & themes, etc. Until then, I'll stick with my "all goodies included straight out of the box" Maxthon browser.

Don't get me wrong other browser users...Opera, Avant, The World, are all good too. I've used them all but keep coming back to Maxthon. ;)

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:44 AM

The least secure browser is Safari. Some things that IE has, and others don't under Vista:

DEP protection (if you enable it). It is also sandboxed.

I suppose someone could use sandboxie with Firefox, of course.

And just because I know it pisses people off here, I call it FF3!

#29 Xzen

Xzen

Active WinMatrixian

• 293 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Bottom line, the new version of Firefox needs time to mature, time to get security issues worked out, more plugins & themes, etc. Until then, I'll stick with my "all goodies included straight out of the box" Maxthon browser.

Do you need to do a fresh install once it becomes old and outdated? :whistle: lol.

#30 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

It's not about the pissing-off factor, it's about the respect.

#31 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

Wow adrynalyne, that's the most immature thing I've seen in these forums... (N)

#32 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

I do not know the lower score of the add on (never used 9.5 talking about earlier ver) of Opera indicates what ? But it given Safari and IE a high rate Fire fox in miidle and low was opera. Whether it FF or FX , I understood it as FIRE FOX

#33 Webtrance

Webtrance

WinMatrixian

• 180 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

Bottom line, the new version of Firefox needs time to mature, time to get security issues worked out, more plugins & themes, etc. Until then, I'll stick with my "all goodies included straight out of the box" Maxthon browser.

Do you need to do a fresh install once it becomes old and outdated? :whistle: lol.

Huh? LOL Maxthon, just as other program like Firefox, is continually being updated. Newer versions come out from time to time. Everything becomes old and outdated at some point. A fresh install is most likely necessary, unless the program updates automatically.

All I'm saying guys, is that Maxthon, even Opera, Avant, and The World, come preconfigured with more tab options, mouse gestures, etc. This meaning that you get a lot of the add ons built in, straight of of the box, unlike Firefox with it's multitudes of plug ins, potentially slowing or even corrupting the browser. Not to mention all those third party add ons present security risks themselves.

- Web

Edited by Webtrance, 23 June 2008 - 04:50 PM.

#34 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Wow adrynalyne, that's the most immature thing I've seen in these forums... (N)

No more immature than those who attacked me for something silly like calling Firefox FF3, instead of Fx3.

No more immature thaan those who feel the need to make that very subject part of their signature.

So, to each their own?

It's not about the pissing-off factor, it's about the respect.

Thats ludicrous. I disrespect Mozilla due to a naming convention..in a FAQ, for version 1.x?

:woot:

Checking out Google, there must be a ton of people disrespecting Mozilla then. :whistle:

I find it amusing that so many people hinged upon a light hearted comment I made, than the points I brought up. I find that very typical here.

#35 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

^ It's not just the FAQ, look at any Mozilla docs that use the abbreviation- they refer to it as Fx and NOT FF.

Just because a 1000 people do a wrong doesn't make the wrong a right.

It's not disrespectful if you're calling it FF out of ignorance, but it is if you're calling it by choice.

In most cases, people have corrected themselves and started using the proper abbreviation after being made aware of their folly.

Edited by _deXter_, 23 June 2008 - 06:31 PM.

#36 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

^ It's not just the FAQ, look at any Mozilla docs that use the abbreviation- they refer to it as Fx and NOT FF.

Just because a 1000 people do a wrong doesn't make the wrong a right.

It's not disrespectful if you're calling it FF out of ignorance, but it is if you're calling it by choice.

In most cases, people have corrected themselves and started using the proper abbreviation after being made aware of their folly.

I am sorry, but you won't persuade me from seeing the argument that I use a slightly different abbreviation being disrespectful anything other than ludicrous.

:blink:

#37 chrisscorsese88

chrisscorsese88

WinMatrixian

• 200 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:32 PM

Guys, he can abbreviate how he wants, there's more than one way you can abbreviate a word.

#38 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:24 AM

I do not know the lower score of the add on (never used 9.5 talking about earlier ver) of Opera indicates what ? But it given Safari and IE a high rate Fire fox in miidle and low was opera. Whether it FF or FX , I understood it as FIRE FOX

Did you even read the FAQ? It's NOT FIRE FOX. It's a single word.

How do I spell Firefox? How do I abbreviate it?

Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not Fire Fox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

#39 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:36 AM

Did you even read the FAQ? It's NOT FIRE FOX. It's a single word.

How do I spell Firefox? How do I abbreviate it?

Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not Fire Fox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

Dude, you are like a grammar nazi on crack.

#40 RickSOLET

RickSOLET

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,793 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Come on guys, cut it out.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!