Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft: "Don't Wait for Windows Seven"

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you waiting for Windows Seven? (85 member(s) have cast votes)

Skipping Vista for Windows 7

1. Yes, I'm still using Xp and waiting for Windows Seven (17 votes [19.10%])

Percentage of vote: 19.10%

2. No, I've upgraded to Vista (65 votes [73.03%])

Percentage of vote: 73.03%

3. I'm sick of Windows and switched to Linux/Mac (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#1 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image

The white paper — “The Business Value of Windows Vista: Five Reasons to Deploy Now” — doesn’t include a lot of new data; instead, it revisits the business features Microsoft built into Vista and highlights some of the new deployment tools and case-study examples of companies who have migrated to Vista. But it does offer Microsoft’s official guidance on Windows 7 deployments. From the paper:

“There is no need to wait for Windows 7. It is a goal of the Windows 7 release to minimize application compatibility for customers who have deployed Windows Vista since there was considerable kernel and device level innovation in Windows Vista. The Windows 7 release is expected to have only minor changes in these areas. Customers who are still using Windows XP when Windows 7 releases will have a similar application compatibility experience moving to Windows 7 as exists moving to Windows Vista from Windows XP.”

Here we have Microsoft reiterating that Windows 7 will not contain any massive changes, and that it will build on top of the foundations laid by Windows Vista, improving them.

#2 ZDSMaster

ZDSMaster

------Silence------

• 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

I have no problem with that. I'm happy with Vista right now. I also like that fact that ALOT of people already upgraded to vista according to the poll. I knew vista was not bad.

#3 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

I've upgraded to Vista and don't regret doing so. It hasn't been a problem for me minus a few modem driver related blue screens (Damn dial up) recently.

I really can't wait to get my hands on 7 though. :)

#4 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

I am running XP and I will never move to Vista. About 7 - I'll see, but maybe not. I think to go to Ubuntu ( now I am using it as second OS ). :linux:

#5 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

On my main pc i installed XP and Vista, never touched XP again... Vista is perfect on this pc...
No need for 7, it's fine with me if it takes as long as it did for Vista to come....
My Acer notebook that came with Vista home is now running XP because;
A XP runs way better on it (and Vista is only visually attractive with Aero)
B i don't wanna miss all those wonderfull custo software out there for XP...

Edited by Another_User, 05 June 2008 - 07:42 PM.

#6 pakistanipower

pakistanipower

WinMatrixian

• 179 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

I am running XP and I will never move to Vista. About 7 - I'll see, but maybe not. I think to go to Ubuntu ( now I am using it as second OS ). :linux:

lol people always talk about how "GREAT" ubuntu is but you can never have that has your main os..lol hahah

vista ftw

#7 ZDSMaster

ZDSMaster

------Silence------

• 54 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

lol people always talk about how "GREAT" ubuntu is but you can never have that has your main os..lol hahah

vista ftw

Agreed.

#8 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

vista ftw

Ubuntu is currently my main OS, and I haven't even bothered with Windows in months. :lol:

Also, I'm not really "sick" of Windows, but it was the only option in the poll with Linux. I wasn't having problems with Windows or anything, I just like Ubuntu better.

#9 bhast2

bhast2

Hi I'm Win8

• 633 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

i run leopard

but i have xp installed too because mysql and php and all the stuff runs on xp way better than leopard can run it

#10 grim

grim

WinMatrixian

• 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

I have my XP SP3 machine running great. Unless a "must have DX10" game comes alone, I'll enjoy XP for a few more years. :windows:

#11 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

I have no problem with that. I'm happy with Vista right now. I also like that fact that ALOT of people already upgraded to vista according to the poll. I knew vista was not bad.

O Vista IS that bad, it is just that a lot of people are mindless Sheep and do what they are told, or just use what they are told is the "Normal Default" / "Industry Standard".

I have had to fix more Vists installs than any number of XP installs as of to date, and XP has been out HOW MANY years in comparison to Vista?

so YES. Vista IS THAT BAD. People are just to scared to go against the "normal" and get something better.

Oh hold on, no they arent, they are called Mac / Linux Users.

Go ahead. take a guess at how i voted.

vista ftw

Agreed.

i smell bullshit.

oh look, it's you two.

the Pakistani and the MS loving Robot.

seriously people, give Ubuntu / Linux a try. it Is better and Faster.

There is no way I am upgrading to an OS that demands a minimum of 1GB RAM to work only half way decently.

And 7 will be fine if they use the XP codebase, and lose that ar\ero crap. that is 1/2 the reason it is a resource hog.

#12 xm4r5h4llx

xm4r5h4llx

New WinMatrixian

• 35 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:31 AM

Hmmm... there doesn't seem to be a poll option for being too poor or indifferent to care about an upgrade... <_<

XP serves me just fine and until my hardware craps out on me or catches fire... I see no reason to change over to any other operating system... especially if it means that in addition to paying for a new OS I also must pay for hardware upgrades... I just graduated from college... I have no money...

I will admit though that I would love to play with Win7 when it comes out... and should I be in the market for a new computer at the time I probably would just go along with it... all I care is that it does what i need it to do... I will admit I love the idea of a streamlined kernel with out all the extra fluff drivers that XP and Vista come with... But right now... I am happy with good ol' XP...

Now...

People are just to scared to go against the "normal" and get something better.

i smell bullshit.
oh look, it's you two.

Solo... Its shit like this that makes me want to boycott computers all together though... regardless of OS... better yet... I would rather see individuals like you banned for such disrespectful and pointless comments.

First off... After having three iPods crap out on me... seing two friends shell out 2000 bucks for mac books that started malfunctioning within a month... and after crashing my friends mac while simply running iTunes and nothing else... I have to say your fanboy claim that a mac is a godsend... is nothing more than biased bull crap...

And Linux isn't perfect either... new versions of ubuntu lag on my computer and yes I have crashed most distros that I have gotten my hands on within hours... and half my hardware still doesn't work right out of the box... and maybe you have all the time in the world to nerd about learning how to use a terminal to do everything technical in it... but some of us have better things to do... plus despite its claim to having an amazing user support group made up of thousands of linux users... the greater majority of the people I have encountered on those support forums are just like you... a bunch of smart asses that would rather criticize others than actually be helpfull...

I'd speak against windows but hell we all dealt with the blue screen at least once... but thats our own fault for running third party apps and beta software...

Point is no one OS is perfect and every person will have their preferences due to hardware and the applications they... but if you don't like windows... get the hell off of a Windows customization forum... or do us all a favor and show some respect.

And that goes to anyone that is not going to be helpful or respectful... Seriously these fanboy battles are wastes of storage space and bandwidth... and I know I cant be the only person who is tired of good threads going to hell cause of them...

#13 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

Solo is the next KaironXP :lol:

#14 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:00 AM

Solo, STFU

Stick to your own OS if you love it so much.

#15 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

Where's the option "I've upgraded to Vista and waiting for Windows 7 too". :D

#16 ZDSMaster

ZDSMaster

------Silence------

• 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

O Vista IS that bad, it is just that a lot of people are mindless Sheep and do what they are told, or just use what they are told is the "Normal Default" / "Industry Standard".

I have had to fix more Vists installs than any number of XP installs as of to date, and XP has been out HOW MANY years in comparison to Vista?

so YES. Vista IS THAT BAD. People are just to scared to go against the "normal" and get something better.

Go ahead. take a guess at how i voted.

vista ftw

Agreed.

i smell bullshit.

oh look, it's you two.

There is no way I am upgrading to an OS that demands a minimum of 1GB RAM to work only half way decently.

And 7 will be fine if they use the XP codebase, and lose that ar\ero crap. that is 1/2 the reason it is a resource hog.

I don't like ms that much, dude. To be honest I kinda like apple better. PS I agree that xp is great, but what will you do when win 7 comes out huh? Still be with xp? An outdated os? Since you say "your not upgrading"

#17 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

I had this same mindset....7 years ago.

Seriously, to each their own. Neither OS X nor Linux is a godsend. XP/Vista aren't either. While you may have had less problems on XP, I was on the receiving end of the MS Blast/Sasser attacks when they hit...I recall having over 900 people (no exaggeration) waiting to talk to us because their machines kept rebooting, and that was just the first day.

Then having the laughable enough issue of our own network being hit by it...don't even tell me how pristine XP is. SP2 was a similar technical support nitemare. When Vista hits the same service pack and maturity level as XP, then we can talk and compare.

I've yet to have a problem with Vista...on a machine I built in three years ago, and have never upgraded since.

Before that, I myself didn't really have any problems with XP.

These days, I use Linux as my main OS, and Vista for productivity. Not.one.problem. I don't use Linux because it gives me some mystical, godlike prowess or because I think it is superior. I use it because I am a geek and like toys to play with when I am bored. It does its job when I need it to. So does Vista, meh. ZOMG, so did XP!

So, who cares? Its certainly not worth insulting others over.

Edited by adrynalyne, 06 June 2008 - 12:37 PM.

#18 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Naah, i was here before KaironXP was. Sorry, but i claim the call on "Form Ass that is also a Moderator."

and sorry about that, i let something else that had infuriated me carry over to the post.

but i do mean, really, why go with an OS that demands 1GB of RAM, and it is still slow?

Now, if they can improve and severely tweak the Vista codebase to work better and use that for 7, then fine, more power to them.

and ZDSMaster, i have family that still run 98SE, one super high end PC's, simply because they like the way it works and feels to them more so that XP. And that is my dad. been trying to get him to swap for ever now.

so yes, some people are going to find an alternative and stick with it.

LOL, i have an uncle that still thinks that Win95 is God's Gift to Computers, now trust me, HE is delusional.

and yet again, sorry for the comments, I let another problem carry over the post to my online companions.

Sorry about that PakastaniPower and ZDSMaster.

Edited by Solo, 06 June 2008 - 02:35 PM.

#19 ZDSMaster

ZDSMaster

------Silence------

• 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

Naah, i was here before KaironXP was. Sorry, but i claim the call on "Form Ass that is also a Moderator."

and sorry about that, i let something else that had infuriated me carry over to the post.

but i do mean, really, why go with an OS that demands 1GB of RAM, and it is still slow?

Now, if they can improve and severely tweak the Vista codebase to work better and use that for 7, then fine, more power to them.

and ZDSMaster, i have family that still run 98SE, one super high end PC's, simply because they like the way it works and feels to them more so that XP. And that is my dad. been trying to get him to swap for ever now.

so yes, some people are going to find an alternative and stick with it.

LOL, i have an uncle that still thinks that Win95 is God's Gift to Computers, now trust me, HE is delusional.

and yet again, sorry for the comments, I let another problem carry over the post to my online companions.

Sorry about that PakastaniPower and ZDSMaster.

It's aright, dude. I respect people's opinions about an os. I think that people should stick with the os that's best for them. For me it's leopard. I use vista to see a view of the future.

#20 kth7

kth7

WinMatrixian

• 161 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

Yes, Vista does require a huge amount of RAM, but AERO is not the cause of the huge amount of RAM. This Is because of a new service called Desktop Window Manager (DWM.EXE), many mordern OSes are using this, Beryl in Ubuntu Linux uses this too (i not too sure about mac, maybe they do). Due to the way DWM work, AERO does not eat much memory (Check the process yourself). When really needed, AERO will shut itself down. Vista is only good if you want to run newer programs while XP and lower for older legacy programs. Vista was almost close to mac except microsoft did not put in enough effort to polish the OS. Remember the promises microsoft broke in the Windows XP Tour? They did it again in vista, maybe even Windows 7 (is W7 slated to be the SP2 for vista?, i did hear sth about a pay for SP2 somewhere before release here).

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!