• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

WinFS (short for Windows Future Storage) is the code name for a data storage and management system based on relational databases, developed by Microsoft and first demonstrated in 2003 as an advanced storage subsystem for the Microsoft Windows operating system.

WinFS was billed as one of the pillars of the "Longhorn" wave of technologies, and would ship as part of the next version of Windows. It was subsequently decided that WinFS would ship after the release of Windows Vista, but those plans were shelved in June 2006, with some of its component technologies being integrated into upcoming releases of ADO.NET and Microsoft SQL Server. While it was then assumed by observers that WinFS was finished as a project, in November 2006 Steve Ballmer announced that WinFS was still in development, though it was not clear how the technology was to be delivered.

Posted Image Posted Image
Calendar and e-mail applications can use the relationships to create dynamic filters.

In this interview Quentin Clark traces the lineage of those technologies back to WinFS, and forward to their current incarnations.

"People would often ask me if WinFS was a file system, and I'd struggle with the answer to that, because, well, you know, from a certain standpoint the answer is yes. The stuff I saw in the shell, was it in the WinFS filesystem? Well, OK. But there are no streams inside the database. So from a user perspective, those files were "in" the filesystem. But from an API perspective it was more nuanced than that. I could still use the Win32 APIs, get some file, open it, and from that point forward the semantics were exactly like NTFS. Because it was NTFS at that point."

:bulletblue: Interview: Where is WinFS now?
:bulletblue: View: IWish Concept Video
:bulletblue: Read: about WinFS

#2 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

Another Longhorn technology which was not included in Vista. :(

#3 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

I thought this thread is about WinFX.

Edited by Liskiller, 21 May 2008 - 07:20 PM.

#4 winmatrix2007

winmatrix2007

im ready to rock

• 579 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

why did they decide to eliminate this

Edited by winmatrix2007, 21 May 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#5 endrit10

endrit10

N9 Shanktown

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

^ Save it for Windows 7 or Fiji or Vista SP2

#6 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

Nice video ;)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!