Photo
- - - - -

Different take on Vista

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:05 AM

If only this topic was started by kaironxp.....

lol. don't get on kaironxp. I'm still surprised by this.

My laptop is XP branded. I'm just lucky to have a great business laptop. The funny thing is that it's XP branded and has worked better than the machines I have that are Vista branded. Also, running Vista better with lower requirements.

#22 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

Were you trying Ubuntu Gutsy or Ubuntu 8 (whatever it's called). I'm not sure if they found a fix for it yet, but they said Gutsy doesn't work on HP Laptops. Anyway, congratulations on making the leap to Vista. I was skeptical at first too, but it's a great OS.

#23 johnnyboy41987

johnnyboy41987

Xecute

• 260 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

I got a XPS 1530 from DELL .. it has a great configuration ...it came with VISTA HOME PREMIUM .. first I started to love VISTA ..but as days gone the apps ran slower (PS ,FLASH,DW) and games was freezing all the time....but in XP it was too perfect ... then after a long thinking it flushed my VISTA and put XP in my laptop ... now everything is fine ..but I surely miss VISTA :(

#24 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

I got a XPS 1530 from DELL .. it has a great configuration ...it came with VISTA HOME PREMIUM .. first I started to love VISTA ..but as days gone the apps ran slower (PS ,FLASH,DW) and games was freezing all the time....but in XP it was too perfect ... then after a long thinking it flushed my VISTA and put XP in my laptop ... now everything is fine ..but I surely miss VISTA :(

OEM's are the ones to be blamed for Vista running slowly...they're the ones who put all the crapware and trialware. If you have a Vista DVD, I suggest you to perform a clean install, and you'll see a lot of performance difference.

#25 xaznx2345

xaznx2345

WinMatrixian

• 136 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

I WOULD install vista, but some of my old hardware(webcam) doesn't work because of companies not upgrading :(
And I also noticed a difference in performance in some areas.

Edited by xaznx2345, 18 May 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#26 johnnyboy41987

johnnyboy41987

Xecute

• 260 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:04 AM

OEM's are the ones to be blamed for Vista running slowly...they're the ones who put all the crapware and trialware. If you have a Vista DVD, I suggest you to perform a clean install, and you'll see a lot of performance difference.

yup i did it right away when i got the laptop with the OEM DVD I got from DELL, but its the same performance i get .I dunno whats the problem :|. will it be a driver issue?

#27 Absolute

Absolute

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

I had Vista for over a year and have absolute zero complaints. I don't know why its bashed so frequently. I love it, especially after I learned to customize it.

#28 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:26 AM

i have experienced it.... even when there is 1 or 2% of CPU usage, almost 80% of memory is in use, when it was in aero theme.... but the same is slight different when it run in classic theme...it takes 55% of memory.... do anybody has a good list of services or programs that needs to run and rest can be 'killed' or 'end process'... can somebody share.....

otherwise everything is cool and good in vista.... indeed it is a good than xp

thanks.

#29 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

i have experienced it.... even when there is 1 or 2% of CPU usage, almost 80% of memory is in use, when it was in aero theme.... but the same is slight different when it run in classic theme...it takes 55% of memory.... do anybody has a good list of services or programs that needs to run and rest can be 'killed' or 'end process'... can somebody share.....

otherwise everything is cool and good in vista.... indeed it is a good than xp

thanks.

More memory usage is good! (Well, atleast in case of Vista). Vista uses your excess memory to cache/prefetch data from your hdd which means programs will load faster and your idle RAM won't go to waste.

If a program needs more RAM, then vista will make way for it.

This is where XP has a big limitation. 1+ GB RAM on XP almost always goes to waste since the OS and other programs can't make good use of it. This is why there are programs like SystemBooster XP and eBoostr to cache data in the RAM :)

#30 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

yanike, WTF?

LOL, j/k man!

#31 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

After a couple days of use my laptop still runs great and no slow downs. I guess even though my laptop is old, it's hardware works really great and better with Vista than on XP.

Edited by yanike, 19 May 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#32 monoslykos

monoslykos

screw loose

• 100 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Glad to know it's runing smooth still B)

#33 ZDSMaster

ZDSMaster

------Silence------

• 54 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

Glad to know it's runing smooth still B)

Same Here. :yes: Vista Rocks. B)

#34 Massy

Massy

WinMatrixian

• 121 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

lol Yanike..
One you said: XpRulez
Another day you said:Leopard rules.
then Vista Rulez.
then again Leopard Rules.
now Vista... rotfl (what a waste of time).

i think Vista its the greatest operating system.
im glad finally you recognize its splendour :P

sure ubuntu ts great system (using Linux mint right now) but windows have more compatibility and more professional tools.

#35 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

lol Yanike..
then Vista Rulez.

I too have noticed that yanike has a flickering mind. :lol:

#36 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

lol Yanike..
then Vista Rulez.

Don't forget the day that Noobuntu ruled.

#37 mkaz

mkaz

New WinMatrixian

• 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

Vista is Microsoft's best OS yet.

#38 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

lol Yanike..
then Vista Rulez.

Don't forget the day that Noobuntu ruled.

Yes. I changed my mind a couple of times.

Still, it was based off of different machines I bought and tried it on.

Overall Mac OSX to me is the most stable and better OS, Windows is almost there but kills with software support from others and Linux is great with OS stability but falls behind OSX do to stability and also falls behind OSX and Vista do to lack of software.

Pretty much the best PC I will be purchasing next will be an iMac because I can have both OSX and Vista.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!