Photo
- - - - -

How to automatically align desktop icons to the right?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dguillaume

dguillaume

New WinMatrixian

• 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first post so let me know if it's in the wrong place.

Does anyone know how to automatically align desktop icons to the right, I have my Vista sidebar and it covers all the icons, i can move them manually, but any new icons always apear on the left.

Any help would be appreciated, but a reg hack would be best.

Thanks

Dave

#2 KaneBT

KaneBT

Super WinMatrixian

• 144 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

Read here it tells you what you need. :yes:

Welcome to WinMatrix! :D

#3 dguillaume

dguillaume

New WinMatrixian

• 26 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

Unfortunately this doesn't let you align icons to the right only the left. I nedd them on the right so they are not hidden by my sidebar.

#4 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

If you have wide screen then you can keep the sidebar "always on the top", then it won't come above the icons.
But why don't you keep the sidebar at right side, as everyone does? :D

#5 Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP

• 529 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

Make sure "Auto Arrange" option is disabled in desktop context menu. Now Select all icons and drag-n-drop them to the right.

#6 dguillaume

dguillaume

New WinMatrixian

• 26 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for that, it works, but is still not ideal, I have the sidebar on the left as I have a two monitor set-up, and my other monitor is on the right, you'd think as it's so easy to move the sidebar you would be able to change where windows puts the icons as well.

#7 Double Helix

Double Helix

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:47 AM

Sorry to drag up such an old topic, but I found it when I was googling the same problem as the OP. But yea, I found a solution (sort of) to the problem. It wont make vista add items to the right of the desktop, but you can make it miss out the first two rows or so, so new icons get added right next to the sidebar.

You do it with a (free) program called Fences, by stardock,

http://www.stardock....roducts/fences/

It's supposed to let you organise all of your icons into little boxes. However, if you make just one box (leave it empty), place it under the sidebar, and make it the same size as the sidebar, any new items dropped to the desktop will go on to the next row along.

You can also make the box completely transparent for neatness :)

Its not actually the sidebar I have on that side of the screen, so i cant be 100% sure it will work, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

#8 TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

GreenMan

• 1,635 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

Fences has been reviewed here. It is really the one of best freeware from Stardock. :yes:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!