Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

140M Vista licenses sold! Does it deserve it's success?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Satisfied with Vista?

1. Vista is really great, and I hate Vista bashers (54 votes [77.14%])

Percentage of vote: 77.14%

2. Vista is like Windows ME to me. I'm waiting for Windows 7 (14 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Windows sux, I'll soon migrate to Ubuntu (2 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#21 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:02 AM

Halo 2... It works fine under Windows XP (but no Xbox Live)... Under Vista the driver is horrible, my machine almost chokes under the lowest settings. :no:

What card do you use? I have a GeForce 8600 GT and the game runs fine for me....

#22 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:41 AM

they were smart, with just aero ppl cry about vista being slow, imagine with longhorn..

Totally agreed with him. It's good that all the Longhorn features were not ready at that time. If that heavy GUI and the animations were there in Vista, then you would have required at least 3 GB of RAM, and Vista would have failed instantly.

#23 Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Active WinMatrixian

• 529 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Longhorn is a different story... it was too unstable, it was more like:
"if you can't make it good, make it look good"

The only problem is that they promised too much, but didn't keep the promises. Vista isn't perfect, but it's more stable than XP.

Now back to Longhorn... the stuff from it isn't abandoned, it's just ported to Windows 7, the reason for that is that when 7 comes out, there will be much better hardware than now, so all that special effects won't be a problem, of course there will be people that are installing it on slow computers and complain about the speed of the OS, that's the way it goes. It don't make any sense to compare an OS from 2002 wit one from 2007, why don't you compare XP with 95, see the results... 95 is faster... don't tell me you are suprised.

#24 M!W

M!W

Active WinMatrixian

• 306 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

longhorn was a bad thing, it was the prove that microsoft aren't good programmers! If Windows doesn't get more secure in future it will be left behind Linux and Mac!

#25 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

longhorn was a bad thing, it was the prove that microsoft aren't good programmers! If Windows doesn't get more secure in future it will be left behind Linux and Mac!

Lol. Why do you think Longhorn never came to be and suffered a reset?

Plus, Vista is the most secure version of Windows to date...

#26 graeme

graeme

WinMatrixian

• 126 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

waiting for 7 here

#27 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:22 AM

Halo 2... It works fine under Windows XP (but no Xbox Live)... Under Vista the driver is horrible, my machine almost chokes under the lowest settings. :no:

What card do you use? I have a GeForce 8600 GT and the game runs fine for me....

I use a 256MB GeForce FX 5200. Like I said, the driver lets it run fine under XP, but in Vista it's terrible. I don't blame Vista though, it's nVidia's fault. :(

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

The average user doesn't give a damn about security, and many don't even comprehend the term. It won't be security that gets Microsoft killed. Remember, OS X Leopard was the first to be hacked in a hack contest recently. An improperly set up Linux is just as insecure as anything else, too.

#29 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:11 AM

I use a 256MB GeForce FX 5200. Like I said, the driver lets it run fine under XP, but in Vista it's terrible. I don't blame Vista though, it's nVidia's fault. :(

Haha. Yeah, I understand your frustration... I had to pull my Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreame Gamer audio card from my system because the drivers that Creative released 'for' Vista suck. They kept crashing my system. However, they ran fine on XP though. I wish I knew why these companies can't be bothered to write new drivers, but then turn and blame Vista for their lazyness.

#30 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

well creative is a sh*tty company, they banned Danial, DANIEL!!!! he modded the drivers so they'd work, but nope, hes now banned...

go with Auzentech, alteast their drivers work, and give similar performance!! :D

#31 Seventh Surfer

Seventh Surfer

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

You can't compare Vista to ME. Vista has hundreds of new features where as ME was just a patched Win98 with small GUI changes.

#32 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Ubuntu is great, but I don't think that it can become my primary OS.

#33 ProjectRAGE

ProjectRAGE

Doesn't sugar coat things.

• 188 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

If you have the monster hardware requirements..Vista is fun and decent. If you have a crap system, not up to date per say..youll hate Vista.

I tried it..I thought Vista was a hog and to many hang ups..Xp..been using it for years and never a problem except from my own stupidity. Ubuntu is also my choice to.

#34 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

If there were no Vista then I would have shifted to Mac. That's why I think Vista is not a thing to be discarded as it abstains the Windows XP users from switching over to Mac OS X.

I have been using Windows (XP and Vista), Mac OS X (Tiger and Leopard) and Linux (Ubuntu). All these operating systems are perfect in their own ways. It's only your personal preference which takes you towards a particular OS. I have been drawn towards Windows because of it's huge user base, gaming and Vista :)

#35 human_arts

human_arts

WinMatrixian

• 243 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Members on this forum know it well , Vista is turning point as far as GUI is concerned , before there used to be themes that used to look like mac etc but on forums like this threads were flooding with Vista themes :)

so that says it all , vista GUI is a great hit for sure and it deserves to be called a success :) , not much satisfied with the rest :(

#36 The Silent Warrior

The Silent Warrior

Got Orange Stars?

• 2,574 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

140 million Vista copies sales has been officially confirmed today by Bill Gates!

#37 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

I think many have bought Vista just considering that it's new and looks shiny. Many got it pre-installed in their new PCs, but I don't agree with this opinion that it doesn't deserve it's success. It's not just XP with a new GUI, but by considering it's features it's a totally new OS. I know it's different and feature wise not as good as it was expected in the time of Longhorn, but still it's better than XP.

Now I just can't switch back to XP after using Vista.

#38 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:38 AM

it deserves, it has lot more features/options than its earlier family releases. and yeah, it also getting heavy and heavier and indirectly gives too much expenses.... :( :)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!