My (Small) Ubuntu 8.04 Review

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

Ubuntu hasn't won me over because its not exactly what you call user friendly. To me (beginner) is much harder to use and learn that any other Mac or Windows.

#22 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

I was respectfully debating the issue

Also, your review is so Microsoft Jock Ridden

By the way, you are a Microsoft fan boy.

Respectfully?

Good one. :rolleyes:

no after we went at it and started debating 8.04 and 7.10.

Anyways, I just suspended and hibernated my system just fine under Wubi.

Good. How about reporting this to the Wubi devs so they can update their Faq?

It could be a difference between mobile and desktop power management...I used it on my laptop last time.

What does it do when you try on your laptop?

I don't remember what the specifics were other than it not working, its been a while. Currently, I run nix on its own partitions, instead of a virtual filesystem. Hence, I cannot reproduce it, unless I do a reinstall of it, which would be redundant, and I have limited hard disk space.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that currently 8.04 only suspends correctly every other time for me. Otherwise I get three beeps with a failure message. I haven't had time to mess with it in that respect, yet.

I did upgrade my 7.10 to 8.04 today via Synaptic.

So far, so good, pretty painless upgrade.

Ubuntu hasn't won me over because its not exactly what you call user friendly. To me (beginner) is much harder to use and learn that any other Mac or Windows.

Its getting there. Its becoming one of the most "standardized" distros, which is important for LOTD. I could see it being user friendly enough for the masses within the next couple of years. Strides have certainly been made, but not big enough ones for just anyone to be able to use Linux.

Edited by adrynalyne, 27 April 2008 - 05:00 PM.

#23 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

I was respectfully debating the issue

Also, your review is so Microsoft Jock Ridden

By the way, you are a Microsoft fan boy.

Respectfully?

Good one. :rolleyes:

no after we went at it and started debating 8.04 and 7.10.

Anyways, I just suspended and hibernated my system just fine under Wubi.

Good. How about reporting this to the Wubi devs so they can update their Faq?

It could be a difference between mobile and desktop power management...I used it on my laptop last time.

What does it do when you try on your laptop?

I don't remember what the specifics were other than it not working, its been a while. Currently, I run nix on its own partitions, instead of a virtual filesystem. Hence, I cannot reproduce it, unless I do a reinstall of it, which would be redundant, and I have limited hard disk space.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that currently 8.04 only suspends correctly every other time for me. Otherwise I get three beeps with a failure message. I haven't had time to mess with it in that respect, yet.

I did upgrade my 7.10 to 8.04 today via Synaptic.

So far, so good, pretty painless upgrade.

Its getting there. Its becoming one of the most "standardized" distros, which is important for LOTD. I could see it being user friendly enough for the masses within the next couple of years. Strides have certainly been made, but not big enough ones for just anyone to be able to use Linux.

I'm going to be testing Ubuntu soon when I get my new laptop NC6000. Then I can see what you're experiencing.

OK! I need help :)

How do you get blur to work on Ubuntu. I got reflections to work but I need blur to work.

If I get this to work I will have Aero down pat and looking better on Ubuntu Linux.

Posted Image

#24 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:33 PM

Depends on what you want.

Posted Image

#25 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

like this

click here to see image -> http://www.gnome-loo...re1/73252-1.jpg

Edited by yanike, 27 April 2008 - 11:57 PM.

#26 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Blur windows?
Here's my settings for Blur, I haven't really compared it to Vista, but it should be pretty close:

Pulse: False
Blur Speed: 0.1000 (Not sure what Pulse or Speed is supposed to do)
Focus Blur Windows: (Doesn't matter, I have it disabled)
Focus Blur: False
Alpha Blur Windows: toolbar | menu | utility | normal | dialog | modaldialog | dock | tooltip | popupmenu | dropdownmenu
Alpha Blur: True
Blur Filter: Gaussian
Gaussian Radius: 8
Gaussian Strength: 1.0000
Mipmap LOD: 2.5000 (Not sure what this is, so I left it alone...)
Blur Occlusion: True
Independent Texture Fetch: False

If reflection works for you, I'm guessing blur will also work.
:yes:

#27 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

For last Half an hour I was writing the reply for adrynalyne on my XP pc. Bu the F .. windows SUcks. It halted in between. Nothing compare to my Ubuntu 8.04. I LOVE IT.

Reply to ur blog Gentle Man
1. Ubuntu takes much lesser time to install than windows. Ubuntu is very faster than any of the Windows version. I can bet it out
2. Usability. Tied. Ubuntu has much, much more productivity apps installed by default.

If so How can be it tied. Chelsea scored 2 goals and Manutd 1. Is that match tied ? Ubuntu have much more productivity apps installed, then it is the winner

3. Power management. Windows blows Ubuntu away.

People those are using Both Ubuntu and Vista in their LAPTOP with all features turned on knows who the battery sucker is ? Aero Glass and dreamscenes are battery drainer. If these features are turned off then half of the Vista is dead. But in ubunto Compiz-fusion and CCSM are silent hardworkers

4. Applications. Productivity wise, Ubuntu wins by default. UI wise, Windows blows it away. OS X blows both of them away.

What is the difficulty in using the Ubuntu applications UI? Can u explain or point out one.

5. Tweakability. Windows vs. Ubuntu. Ubuntu wins, hands down.
You are get sweating !

THats all ?. Man u want to promote ur blog was the BIGGEST reason behind the Thread. Earlier there was a thread by abhi, Vista bashers.... That was a good one. Why donot u try one like that ?

Only 5 points had been mentioned by u in the blog that is also very very silly.

The blog itself points out the popularity of UBUNTU 8.04. All the servers are jampacked even torrents are have leechers 1000 times than seeders(Public have less patience they want to experience UBUNTU 8.04 immediately). It shows the public interest in Ubuntu.

What are u getting with a Paid MS Vista/XP + Office + Photoshop + Nero + Ulead + Anti virus + Anti spyware + Firewall + etc is free in Ubuntu and other linux os

Hope, ONE DAY MICROSOFT will also change for the people's betterment

NB _ I am much more experienced in Windows (15 yrs +) Ubuntu is a one month old baby for me, but that cares me better ! I want the XP to abolished. A big system Hog
One last point. Ubuntu 8.04 is a lTS version. For Desktop till 2011 and server 2013. Vista had launched on 2007 and windows 7 will be there to kill vista by 2009 ! So microsoft clearly want money from all MS fan boys. They are the big blood suckers

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 27 April 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:33 PM

For last Half an hour I was writing the reply for adrynalyne on my XP pc. Bu the F .. windows SUcks. It halted in between. Nothing compare to my Ubuntu 8.04. I LOVE IT.

I'm glad you like it.

If so How can be it tied. Chelsea scored 2 goals and Manutd 1. Is that match tied ? Ubuntu have much more productivity apps installed, then it is the winner

Nope. Office 2007 has features Open Office does not, and and Office (not yet 2007)is the defacto standard, whether we like it or not. Then, if your net connection is down...you are really screwed if you don't have an application you need, vs. running down to the store and buying it.

In this respect, Windows, or even OS X is more usable.

People those are using Both Ubuntu and Vista in their LAPTOP with all features turned on knows who the battery sucker is ? Aero Glass and dreamscenes are battery drainer. If these features are turned off then half of the Vista is dead. But in ubunto Compiz-fusion and CCSM are silent hardworkers

http://www.phoronix....i...m=880&num=1
--Read this and get back to me. Then explain why my battery life dropped 30 percent from Vista, even after using PowerTop on Ubuntu 8.04. Power Management in 8.04 is just as bad as 7.10 was.

What is the difficulty in using the Ubuntu applications UI? Can u explain or point out one.

I don't need to. The UI of a typical Linux application is laughable vs. Windows, or even better, vs. OS X. I didn't say it made things less usable or difficult. I said it made them look boring, old, and tired.

You are get sweating !

Lost in translation? I'm not understanding you there.

THats all ?. Man u want to promote ur blog was the BIGGEST reason behind the Thread. Earlier there was a thread by abhi, Vista bashers.... That was a good one. Why donot u try one like that ?
I was one of the main contributors of that thread, backed up with solid evidence and facts. Why would I want to start another thread like that? I'm not promoting crap on my blog. Do you see any ads? I blogged it for another site, and dropped a link here too, in case some people might be interested in my opinion and the basic video I made (for those who may have never seen or used Linux).

Thats your opinion, you are entitled to it. I could give a damn though.

The blog itself points out the popularity of UBUNTU 8.04. All the servers are jampacked even torrents are have leechers 1000 times than seeders(Public have less patience they want to experience UBUNTU 8.04 immediately). It shows the public interest in Ubuntu.

I never denied that.

What are u getting with a Paid MS Vista/XP + Office + Photoshop + Nero + Ulead + Anti virus + Anti spyware + Firewall + etc is free in Ubuntu and other linux os

What does that have to do with anything?

One day. We can all hope.

NB _ I am much more experienced in Windows (15 yrs +) Ubuntu is a one month old baby for me, but that cares me better ! I want the XP to abolished. A big system Hog
One last point. Ubuntu 8.04 is a lTS version. For Desktop till 2011 and server 2013. Vista had launched on 2007 and windows 7 will be there to kill vista by 2009 ! So microsoft clearly want money from all MS fan boys. They are the big blood suckers

Apple does the same.

In closing, I'd say this is typical behavior when people get their panties in a wad because someone isn't a blind worshipper of their beloved OS. I've been using Windows since 3.1. OS X 10.4 since it was released. Linux for the last two years. I don't feel bound to any of them. Of the OS I liked the best: OS X. Of course, I was accused that I wrote a Microsoft crotch ridden blog, and am an MS fanboy. In short, there are a lot of jerks on this site and I question why I would want to even stay here.

Once again, if you people don't want to read it...then don't waste your time. I'm not making any money off of this, so what do I care?

I have an entirely different blog for serious stuff, this is just my rant/opinion blog. Love it or hate, I couldn't care less.

Edited by adrynalyne, 27 April 2008 - 11:38 PM.

#29 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

I'm glad you like it.

Nope. Office 2007 has features Open Office does not, and and Office (not yet 2007)is the defacto standard, whether we like it or not. Then, if your net connection is down...you are really screwed if you don't have an application you need, vs. running down to the store and buying it.

--Read this and get back to me. Then explain why my battery life dropped 30 percent from Vista, even after using PowerTop on Ubuntu 8.04. Power Management in 8.04 is just as bad as 7.10 was.

I don't need to. The UI of a typical Linux application is laughable vs. Windows, or even better, vs. OS X. I didn't say it made things less usable or difficult. I said it made them look boring, old, and tired.

You are get sweating !

I was one of the main contributors of that thread, backed up with solid evidence and facts. Why would I want to start another thread like that? I'm not promoting crap on my blog. Do you see any ads? I blogged it for another site, and dropped a link here too, in case some people might be interested in my opinion and the basic video I made (for those who may have never seen or used Linux).

I never denied that.

Apple does the same.

In closing, I'd say this is typical behavior when people get their panties in a wad because someone isn't a blind worshipper of their beloved OS. I've been using Windows since 3.1. OS X 10.4 since it was released. Linux for the last two years. I don't feel bound to any of them. Of the OS I liked the best: OS X. Of course, I was accused that I wrote a Microsoft crotch ridden blog, and am an MS fanboy. In short, there are a lot of jerks on this site and I question why I would want to even stay here.

Once again, if you people don't want to read it...then don't waste your time. I'm not making any money off of this, so what do I care?

I have an entirely different blog for serious stuff, this is just my rant/opinion blog. Love it or hate, I couldn't care less.

???????????

Dude, both of the biggest threads you have posted was all for Vista. The first was created because y'all had something against KaironXP.

You can't get mad at what people think and feel.

Also, read the title of this thread "My (Small) Ubuntu 8.04 Review" then when we go to read it, we see this:

"Is Linux Ready to Take the Place of Windows? Part 1"

The answer is..maybe.

"This blog today will compare some aspects of Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, and Ubuntu 8.04."

Like I said before it's a comparison topic and not any kind of review about Ubuntu 8.04. It's almost as if you wanted to kill the joy of the Ubuntu 8.04 release.

Like it or not, you have a thing for "Vista" and it shows clearly. Every time you mention something, you have to say something about how AWESOME Vista does it.

If this is a review for Ubuntu 8.04, keep it strictly about Ubuntu and not comparing and dogging it against others.

Here's a great review here on OSX Leopard

http://www.applegaze...sx-105-leopard/

It's a grade from that person's experience with it and only it.

That's what I was expecting from you. I had no intention of coming and dogging this thread.

I came here to read what you have found different and how it worked with you and what you thought was better.

All I found was VIsta this and Vista that and lil and I mean LIL about Ubuntu (which wasn't good anyway).

I mean why is this in a Ubuntu review?

"I primarily use Windows Vista. It is rock stable, doesn't bog down, and affords me just enough eye candy to get my through the day. The power management is also superb, with a little tweaking. I'm sure some readers will think to themselves, "but Aero...", I don't want to hear it. Anyone who checks it out for themselves will understand that transparency is the main battery killer, and Vista shuts it off by default under certain power profiles."

"Playing with Ubuntu for a bit, I've found it to be quite stable. More stable than Windows? No. Mainly because Windows doesn't crash on me."

"Applications. A lot of them. All free, all waiting to be used. I just have one small issue here. They look...old. Dated. Boring. Unfriendly. Compared to Windows Vista, they look like something that belongs...I duuno, not in a current gen OS. Compared to OS X, they look even worse. But do they work? Sure! I'm just a big fan on UI."

Point by point basis:

1. Installation. windows still wins by far.
2. Usability. Tied. Ubuntu has much, much more productivity apps installed by default.
4. Applications. Productivity wise, Ubuntu wins by default. UI wise, Windows blows it away. OS X blows both of them away.

COME ON!!!! Write a real review on Ubuntu and quit praising Windows.

Not attacking you, but I was expecting much more from you than this.

Edited by yanike, 28 April 2008 - 12:00 AM.

#30 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

I'm glad you like it.

You are get sweating !

I never denied that.

Apple does the same.

???????????

Dude, both of the biggest threads you have posted was all for Vista. The first was created because y'all had something against KaironXP.

Also, read the title of this thread "My (Small) Ubuntu 8.04 Review" then when we go to read it, we see this:

The answer is..maybe.

"This blog today will compare some aspects of Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, and Ubuntu 8.04."

Like I said before it's a comparison topic and not any kind of review about Ubuntu 8.04. It's almost as if you wanted to kill the joy of the Ubuntu 8.04 release.

Like it or not, you have a thing for "Vista" and it shows clearly. Every time you mention something, you have to say something about how AWESOME Vista does it.

If this is a review for Ubuntu 8.04, keep it strictly about Ubuntu and not comparing and dogging it against others.

Here's a great review hereon OSX Leopard

That's what I was expecting from you. I had no intention of coming and dogging this thread.

I came here to read what you have found different and how it worked with you and what you thought was better.

All I found was VIsta this and Vista that and lil and I mean LIL about Ubuntu (which wasn't good anyway).

I primarily use Windows Vista. It is rock stable, doesn't bog down, and affords me just enough eye candy to get my through the day. The power management is also superb, with a little tweaking. I'm sure some readers will think to themselves, "but Aero...", I don't want to hear it. Anyone who checks it out for themselves will understand that transparency is the main battery killer, and Vista shuts it off by default under certain power profiles.

I am not about to argue over Noobuntu with some people who think because they have used Linux for a few months that they know about it. I'd go through my experience with the various distros over the last two years, but with you its a waste of time. I much rather debate with Solo, who has experience and a brain.

If you didn't come into this thread to dog me, then you wouldn't have called my blog microsoft jock ridden in your first thread.

Might I remind you about how you dogged Vista, when you were running the Hackintosh, and now you have torrented a "version" of Vista that is the be all end all, because its lighter than your OEM version? Apparently you have'nt heard of PC Decrapifier and Add/remove programs.

Now you have gone from Vista love to Ubuntu mania. I find it funny, really.

Note: I didn't dog 8.04. Nor XP, nor Vista, nor OS X. They all have their faults. You are just pissed off that someone is pointing them out. I planned on a more comprehensive review when I had more time. Like I said, I got this out there for a different forum, so don't flatter yourself.

Again, its my blog. Who are you to judge what and how I write? I am not a pro reviewer.

The URL to my blog has been removed.

I'm glad you like it.

You are get sweating !

I never denied that.

Apple does the same.

???????????

The answer is..maybe.

"I primarily use Windows Vista. It is rock stable, doesn't bog down, and affords me just enough eye candy to get my through the day. The power management is also superb, with a little tweaking. I'm sure some readers will think to themselves, "but Aero...", I don't want to hear it. Anyone who checks it out for themselves will understand that transparency is the main battery killer, and Vista shuts it off by default under certain power profiles."

"Playing with Ubuntu for a bit, I've found it to be quite stable. More stable than Windows? No. Mainly because Windows doesn't crash on me."

"Applications. A lot of them. All free, all waiting to be used. I just have one small issue here. They look...old. Dated. Boring. Unfriendly. Compared to Windows Vista, they look like something that belongs...I duuno, not in a current gen OS. Compared to OS X, they look even worse. But do they work? Sure! I'm just a big fan on UI."

Point by point basis:

My review, genius. My experience.

Mine.

Me. Myself. I.

Yeah I really praised Windows. The only thing I said it did better was Power Management, and application UI. The last point is a matter of perference. The first one is FACT.

Are you ready for this next comment?

I foudn Ubuntu 7.10 MORE stable, and I am NOT ALONE.

How about some showstopper (imo anyway) bugs that were left in the release?

https://bugs.launchp...dio/ bug/198453

https://bugs.launchp...nux/ bug/188226

Edited by adrynalyne, 28 April 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#31 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:17 AM

I'm glad you like it.

You are get sweating !

I never denied that.

Apple does the same.

???????????

The answer is..maybe.

I primarily use Windows Vista. It is rock stable, doesn't bog down, and affords me just enough eye candy to get my through the day. The power management is also superb, with a little tweaking. I'm sure some readers will think to themselves, "but Aero...", I don't want to hear it. Anyone who checks it out for themselves will understand that transparency is the main battery killer, and Vista shuts it off by default under certain power profiles.

I am not about to argue over Noobuntu with some people who think because they have used Linux for a few months that they know about it. I'd go through my experience with the various distros over the last two years, but with you its a waste of time. I much rather debate with Solo, who has experience and a brain.

If you didn't come into this thread to dog me, then you wouldn't have called my blog microsoft jock ridden in your first thread.

Might I remind you about how you dogged Vista, when you were running the Hackintosh, and now you have torrented a "version" of Vista that is the be all end all, because its lighter than your OEM version? Apparently you have'nt heard of PC Decrapifier and Add/remove programs.

Note: I didn't dog 8.04. Nor XP, nor Vista, nor OS X. They all have their faults. You are just pissed off that someone is pointing them out. I planned on a more comprehensive review when I had more time. Like I said, I got this out there for a different forum, so don't flatter yourself.

Again, its my blog. Who are you to judge what and how I write? I am not a pro reviewer.

I'm glad you like it.

You are get sweating !

I never denied that.

Apple does the same.

???????????

The answer is..maybe.

Point by point basis:

Mine.

Me. Myself. I.

Yeah I really praised Windows. The only thing I said it did better was Power Management, and application UI. The last point is a matter of perference. The first one is FACT.

Hmm. back to name calling I see. OK Moron.

I guess it's pointless arguing and trying to get through to someone with a pointless thread, pointless argument, pointless review that just made it to praise Vista even more.

Like I said, this whole thing was to down Ubuntu and not really review it.

Next time you make a thread. Fully explain in detail what it's really about before readers read it.

Edited by yanike, 28 April 2008 - 12:18 AM.

#32 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:21 AM

I'm glad you like it.

You are get sweating !

I never denied that.

Apple does the same.

???????????

The answer is..maybe.

I'm glad you like it.

You are get sweating !

I never denied that.

Apple does the same.

???????????

The answer is..maybe.

Point by point basis:

Mine.

Me. Myself. I.

Hmm. back to name calling I see. OK Moron.

I guess it's pointless arguing and trying to get through to someone with a pointless thread, pointless argument, pointless review that just made it to praise Vista even more.

Like I said, this whole thing was to down Ubuntu and not really review it.

Next time you make a thread. Fully explain in detail what it's really about before readers read it.

Sorry I posted and got your panties in a wad.

I won't make that mistake again.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!