• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

removed.

Edited by adrynalyne, 27 April 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#2 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

Is Ubuntu ready to take over Windows? Yes and No depending on the user's wants. Ubuntu 8.04 hasn't crashed on me yet. The only time I experienced something wrong is when I made the mistake not the OS itself. It's too early to right a review on it. Give it some time and testings with older Linux apps and newer and then right a review. Let's enjoy it a little :D

Also, what is your machine's spec? Also, why are you comparing it to Vista SP1? How about waiting a few for Ubuntu 8.10 or something to compare. It's the first release, Microsoft had over a year for SP1. Give the new comer a chance.

Also, your review is so Microsoft Jock Ridden I didn't even want to read all of it. How about comparing it to the previous Ubuntu. Which readers would like to know what's improved and changed.

Edited by yanike, 26 April 2008 - 11:25 PM.

#3 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:34 PM

Is Ubuntu ready to take over Windows? Yes and No depending on the user's wants. Ubuntu 8.04 hasn't crashed on me yet. The only time I experienced something wrong is when I made the mistake not the OS itself. It's too early to right a review on it. Give it some time and testings with older Linux apps and newer and then right a review. Let's enjoy it a little :D

Also, what is your machine's spec? Also, why are you comparing it to Vista SP1? How about waiting a few for Ubuntu 8.10 or something to compare. It's the first release, Microsoft had over a year for SP1. Give the new comer a chance.

Also, what is your machine's spec?

Intel C2D T7500
2gb PC 6400 DDR2
200gb 4200rpm drive
128mb Nvidia 8400GS

Also, why are you comparing it to Vista SP1? How about waiting a few for Ubuntu 8.10 or something to compare. It's the first release, Microsoft had over a year for SP1.

This is a minor release over 7.10. 7.10 was a minor release over 7.04. There is no reason to treat this as a new OS, as its not. Its just updated. 7.10-8.04 is more of a service pack release than anything else. It is NOT a new OS, nor is it a newcomer. Linux is not like Windows, there are no major releases. Many distros are rolling releases. They don't even come out with new versions. It just so happens that they stop one day, build an ISO, and its merely a snapshot of the distro up to that point. Which is a great idea, because development never stops, and you don't have to wait for the next big upgrade to always have the latest and greatest.

So is it a fair comparison. Sure it is. I find it laughable that people who bash Vista compare it to an OS that is 6 years older than it is. I'm not even doing the same, nor am I bashing. I don't need to give it a chance, I have been using Linux long enough to know what to expect from a release, and I don't see that I am not spot on with my analysis. ubuntu 8.04 is nothing new, but it is an improvement over 7.10, as it should be.

I touched a very small tip of the iceberg in my review, but thats all I have time for right now.

Also, your review is so Microsoft Jock Ridden I didn't even want to read all of it. How about comparing it to the previous Ubuntu. Which readers would like to know what's improved and changed.

Then don't read it. I am not a pro reviewer, and I don't have time to be one, either. Stop wasting my time by claiming that I am something that I clearly am not.

What would I say about it vs. 7.10? Uh...it has newer updates.

/yawn

Edited by adrynalyne, 26 April 2008 - 11:36 PM.

#4 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

Microsoft jock ridden...that has to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Just because I compared it to Vista.

Wow...

#5 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:55 PM

What would I say about it vs. 7.10? Uh...it has newer updates.

/yawn

Hmmm. It's Wubi installer allows you to install it into Windows without messing with the bootloader (Which was a BIG problem before), it works with more monitors and res off the bat without the "out of range" on lcd 1440x900 (like my new flat lcd), comes with a lot more drivers to recognize your hardware faster and from the get go, has the latest updates to the current Ubuntu software and comes with newer added tools to help you get more from the web from the get go without going to a site and downloading and installing apps, more features built-in it to get the best from compiz/beryl/emerald and more. You can also mention what has changed since Beta and RC and what has improved. Yes! Of course, every release has more updates, but more has been done with 8.04 since 7.10.

Another thing I like about 8.04 is that I don't have to run to automatix anymore to get things up and running with codecs and missing plugins.

Edited by yanike, 26 April 2008 - 11:56 PM.

#6 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:05 AM

I grabbed my codecs with 8.04 just as easily as I did with 7.10.

Wubi was around with 7.04 and 7.10. The only difference is that it is now on the CD, and "official". It messes with the bootloader as much as anything else. it just adds to the Windows bootloader, which is what I have always done myself anyway. I don't install grub to the MBR. It was never a huge problem, except for the unexperienced setting up dual boot. Thats something that still remains in 8.04, and will in 8.10, too.

All of this hardware worked in 7.10, why would I cover that?

My review, not yours. Get it through your thick skull. This is just part 1, too, in which I changed in the title to reflect. The cool thing about a review is, you don't have to agree with it. Thats fine, I am cool with that. But to call me a Microsoft fanboy...get real.

Edited by adrynalyne, 27 April 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#7 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

I grabbed my codecs with 8.04 just as easily as I did with 7.10.

Wubi was around with 7.04 and 7.10. The only difference is that it is now on the CD, and "official". It messes with the bootloader as much as anything else. it just adds to the Windows bootloader, which is what I have always done myself anyway. I don't install grub to the MBR. It was never a huge problem, except for the unexperienced setting up dual boot. Thats something that still remains in 8.04, and will in 8.10, too.

All of this hardware worked in 7.10, why would I cover that?

My review, not yours. Get it through your thick skull. This is just part 1, too, in which I changed in the title to reflect. The cool thing about a review is, you don't have to agree with it. Thats fine, I am cool with that. But to call me a Microsoft fanboy...get real.

The problem is that you're not reviewing you're comparing. Also, 7.10 was good with hardware but not as good as 8.04. I can installed 7.10 now and still get an "out of range" error on my screen. 8.04 is a great release and better than 7.10. I would like to see your next review actually be only about Ubuntu and nothing about MS in it. By the way, you are a Microsoft fan boy. Even the post you made for 8.04 had to have Vista haters come get it in it.

I'm glad you alerted Ubuntu fans, but you could've said something more appropriate than that.

Vista SP1 without all the heavy add-ons is great (which I found out recently from downloading an illegal copy), but I like Ubuntu for different reasons.

Edited by yanike, 27 April 2008 - 01:37 AM.

#8 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:42 AM

Agreed with the servers thing...
I turned to torrents, and found one with 4000 seeds and 7000 leechers that downloaded at 700kb/s... Then I realised you can only upgrade with an alternate CD, and found one with 900 seeds and 1100 leechers that downloaded at 300kb/s. If I had waited on the Ubuntu servers, it would have taken a day. :)

Edited by ShamusHand, 27 April 2008 - 01:44 AM.

#9 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:47 AM

Your out of scan range errors were most likely more driver related. Learn how to edit the xorg.conf to avoid those issues in the future. Lack of knowledge of Linux limits you more than the version of the distro. Thats true of many OSes.

If I want to compare in something I am reviewing, through purely my experience, its my prerorgative. Who are you to tell me otherwise?

If you think that I am an MS fanboy, then you truly are as ignorant as I thought.

http://adrynalyne.bl...nux-review.html
http://adrynalyne.bl.../blog-post.html
http://adrynalyne.bl...en-i-fails.html
http://adrynalyne.bl...x-vs-linux.html
http://adrynalyne.bl...02/awesome.html

How is that crow tasting?

#10 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:16 AM

Agreed with the servers thing...
I turned to torrents, and found one with 4000 seeds and 7000 leechers that downloaded at 700kb/s... Then I realised you can only upgrade with an alternate CD, and found one with 900 seeds and 1100 leechers that downloaded at 300kb/s. If I had waited on the Ubuntu servers, it would have taken a day. :)

Ditto. I had to look somewhere else to get a torrent file though, because the ubuntu site was so slammed.

#11 KaneBT

KaneBT

Super WinMatrixian

• 144 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

interesting review... :)

I heard something about 8.04 being able to be installed from inside Windows, without an ISO. What do you know about this?

#12 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

interesting review... :)

I heard something about 8.04 being able to be installed from inside Windows, without an ISO. What do you know about this?

It's called Wubi.

Posted Image

#13 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

Note that it is more susceptible to filesystem errors than a true FS, and hibernation/suspend will not work.

#14 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

Note that it is more susceptible to filesystem errors than a true FS, and hibernation/suspend will not work.

I beg to differ. Are you saying if they install Wubi, they can not hibernate or suspend? I'm able to do everything on Ubuntu 8.04 using Wubi.

Your out of scan range errors were most likely more driver related. Learn how to edit the xorg.conf to avoid those issues in the future. Lack of knowledge of Linux limits you more than the version of the distro. Thats true of many OSes.

If I want to compare in something I am reviewing, through purely my experience, its my prerorgative. Who are you to tell me otherwise?

If you think that I am an MS fanboy, then you truly are as ignorant as I thought.

http://adrynalyne.bl...nux-review.html
http://adrynalyne.bl.../blog-post.html
http://adrynalyne.bl...en-i-fails.html
http://adrynalyne.bl...x-vs-linux.html
http://adrynalyne.bl...02/awesome.html

How is that crow tasting?

That's great and all, but I'm not subscribed to your blogspot as this is WinMatrix. Also, what you're not understanding is that they made it easier to recognize the monitor drivers in 8.04 so you don't have to do all the work to get it working. Why go through countless forums when you can get a better made OS of Ubuntu to recognize everything for you off the bat. 8.04 is more user friendly and more compatible with the latest hardware. I don't have a lack of knowledge in the xorg, I stated that 7.10 didn't recognize my drivers off the bat. I had to do a lot of driver installing in 7.10 to get things working. In 8.04, I just install and use. To me that's a great working OS.

Edited by yanike, 27 April 2008 - 03:45 PM.

#15 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(Ubuntu)

Hibernation is not supported under Wubi, moreover Wubi filesystem is more vulnerable to hard-reboots (turning off the power) and power outages than a normal filesystem, so try to avoid unplugging the power. An Ubuntu installation to a dedicated partition provides a filesystem that is more robust and can better tolerate such events.

You know, all it takes is 10 seconds with google to save yourself from looking silly. I suppose you thought I made that up. Sleep might be working now, as the FAQ no longer mentions it no being supported. I install Ubuntu to the hard disk, so I don't use Wubi to test it anymore.

Im full aware that you are not subscribed to my blog. My point was...you don't know even close to enough about me to call me a fanboy. Careful where you point fingers, buddy.

ignorance- the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

As for monitor drivers...thats pretty funny. Xorg's inability to detect the correct ranges for your monitor were most likely the problem. An easy 10 second edit.

At any rate, Im not arguing it doesnt contain more hardware drivers. Any OS upgrade does. I'm not about to point out that obviously 8.04 supports more and newer hardware. IS there really any person here who does NOT know that each new version of distro supports newer/more things?

Edited by adrynalyne, 27 April 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#16 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

Hibernation is not supported under Wubi, moreover Wubi filesystem is more vulnerable to hard-reboots (turning off the power) and power outages than a normal filesystem, so try to avoid unplugging the power. An Ubuntu installation to a dedicated partition provides a filesystem that is more robust and can better tolerate such events.

You know, all it takes is 10 seconds with google to save yourself from looking silly. I suppose you thought I made that up.

Im full aware that you are not subscribed to my blog. My point was...you don't know even close to enough about me to call me a fanboy. Careful where you point fingers, buddy.

ignorance- the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

As for monitor drivers...thats pretty funny. Xorg's inability to detect the correct ranges for your monitor were most likely the problem. An easy 10 second edit.

At any rate, Im not arguing it doesnt contain more hardware drivers. Any OS upgrade does.

I was begging to differ because I'm able to do it.

Also, it seems you love to start flames and call people ignorant at times. You don't have to remind us of how ignorant you are and post definitions to remind you of what it means.

I was respectfully debating the issue and explaining how the drivers and configurations worked in 8.04 from 7.10.

I don't have to google an error for something I'm not encountering. I'll do it a few times later to see if it freezes or stops working.

#17 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

I was respectfully debating the issue

Also, your review is so Microsoft Jock Ridden

By the way, you are a Microsoft fan boy.

Respectfully?

Good one. :rolleyes:

#18 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

Respectfully?

no after we went at it and started debating 8.04 and 7.10.
By the way, all I called you was a Microsoft fan boy and you went off saying that I have a lack of knowledge that I'm an idiot and other childish remarks.

Anyways, I just suspended and hibernated my system just fine under Wubi. Can anybody else do this?

I wonder if it's different with Laptops and Desktops. I'm using it on my Desktop and I can suspend, hibernate, restart and shut down just fine.

Edited by yanike, 27 April 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#19 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Respectfully?

Anyways, I just suspended and hibernated my system just fine under Wubi.

Good. How about reporting this to the Wubi devs so they can update their Faq?

It could be a difference between mobile and desktop power management...I used it on my laptop last time.

Edited by adrynalyne, 27 April 2008 - 04:45 PM.

#20 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

Respectfully?

Anyways, I just suspended and hibernated my system just fine under Wubi.

Good. How about reporting this to the Wubi devs so they can update their Faq?

It could be a difference between mobile and desktop power management...I used it on my laptop last time.

What does it do when you try on your laptop?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!