• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:10 AM

Great news for all the Windows XP users. Rafael has released the patched uxtheme.dll file for the final version of Windows XP SP3.
Uxtheme.dll by default prevents users from installing themes that are not digitally signed by Microsoft. By patching this DLL, you can install all third party visual styles (.msstyles) that are not digitally signed.

Replace this file and enjoy thousands of free visual styles!

:download: Download: 6.0.2900.5512_EN.rar | Mirror

Note: The above link is for Windows XP users only. Here are the uxtheme patch for other Windows versions:
Uxtheme Patch for Windows 7 SP1
Uxtheme Patch for Windows 8

How To Replace Uxtheme.dll
1. First of all delete uxtheme.dll file from C:\Windows\system32\dllcache and C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
2. Navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and backup the original uxtheme.dll by renaming it or by copying it on your desktop.
3. Paste the patched or hacked uxtheme.dll (which you downloaded from here) to C:\Windows\system32.

* You should get a pop-up windows titled "Windows File Protection". Click on OK.
* You should then see a second Windows File Protection pop-up window asking you to insert your SP2 CD. Click on Cancel.
* You'll then get a third pop-up window asking you if you are sure you want to keep the unrecognized file. Click Yes.
* If you get another pop-us then ignore it and reboot your PC.
Congratulatiuon you are now ready to use third-party visual styles.

Second Method (Using Replacer)
2. Download Replacer and extract the content.
3. Run replacer.cmd. A black command prompt window should appear.
4. Browse to C:\Windows\system32 and find uxtheme.dll. Drag this file into the command prompt window. Press enter.
5. Drag in the unlocked (patched) uxtheme.dll into the command prompt window. Press enter.
6. Confirm the replacement and wait for Replacer to finish. Press any key when prompted.
7. Reboot.

Congratulation you are now ready to use third-party visual styles like this one:

vfYdUwu.jpg

Browse visual style here.

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

all right! my XP is back in action!

#3 KaneBT

KaneBT

Super WinMatrixian

• 144 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

thanks for the download!

Question: Ive installed SP3 on one of my XP machines which I have not modified the shell32.dll file, it works great. If I install SP3 on a machine with a modified shell32 will the modifications stay? (ive changed icons etc.)

Thanks.

Edited by KaneBT, 26 April 2008 - 09:20 AM.

#4 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

@KaneBT
There's no system32.dll. System32 is a folder which contains important dll files.

After installing SP3 most of your customization done by modifying dll files will get revert back automatically.

#5 KaneBT

KaneBT

Super WinMatrixian

• 144 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

oops. sorry. I meant shell32.dll

Will my modifications stay the same?

#6 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:42 PM

I meant shell32.dll

Will my modifications stay the same?

You should replace shell32.dll back with the original one.

According to this thread SP3 works with Bricopacks, which are shell packs with modified shell32.dll, but it's better to uninstall all the shell or transformation packs before install XP SP3.

#7 KaneBT

KaneBT

Super WinMatrixian

• 144 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:30 AM

right. thanks Johnnyboy.

also thnx for the link.

#8 Seventh Surfer

Seventh Surfer

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

Finally! :D

#9 The Skins Factory

The Skins Factory

• Elites
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

When we launch Hyperdesk next month, if you download the free hypersuite for Sony Ericsson and install the software, your system will be patched in memory. Once you have Hd running you can use any msstyles and not touch any of your system files. We've been testing it with SP 3 and its been running perfectly. We actually didn't have to do anything. It just worked. So its another way for you to run msstyles without actually having to mess with replacing the actual dlls.

#10 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:31 AM

if you download the free hypersuite for Sony Ericsson and install the software, your system will be patched in memory.

Same like StyleXP and TuneUp Utilities 2008? I think it's safe because it doesn't touch any system file.

#11 AndrewJ

AndrewJ

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

I am looking at c:windows/system32 and their is no such folder nor file as DLLCache to remove UXtheme.dll from.

#12 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:36 AM

@AndrewJ
Type C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in the address bar and hit Enter

#13 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:10 AM

Yeah, annoying Vista hides all of the files that you really need to see, like your TEMP files to check for viruses and also clear out your comp. It's really frustrating, but I just figured out how to get administrator permissions automatically in Vista without annoying UAC popup, so it is on but is unaffected to me.

#14 The Skins Factory

The Skins Factory

• Elites
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

if you download the free hypersuite for Sony Ericsson and install the software, your system will be patched in memory.

Same like StyleXP and TuneUp Utilities 2008? I think it's safe because it doesn't touch any system file.

Yes, similar to what Style XP does. In memory.

#15 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:33 AM

Currently no Uxtheme "memory" patcher is available for free. I bet after the arrival of Hyperdesk, people will quite replacing uxtheme.dll

#16 InuYuki

InuYuki

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

Does anyone have a zip version of the patch? My school's network doesn't allow anything in the rar format. *hates his school's firewalls*

#17 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

6.0.2900.5512_EN.zip

#18 userlogin

userlogin

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

Hi, I tried installing the patch using method 2 "The replace installer" but after rebooting it came to the login screen and froze with the message " lsass.exe-Bad Image Dll C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll". The screen then goes to just the standard background and I cannot get to my desktop. I have tried logging in safemode and even restarting to the last saved restore point but neither trouble shoot has worked. I am unable to use my computer now and would really appreciate any help you guys could give. Thanks-Userlogin :)

Edited by userlogin, 08 May 2008 - 10:32 AM.

#19 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

@userlogin

May be replacer doesn't work with SP3. I replaced the file manually without any problem. You have to now replace your original uxtheme.dll file either by booting through any other Windows (dual boot), using Linux Live CD, or DOS prompt.

#20 Michealm

Michealm

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:50 AM

heres the patcher i used and it works flawlessly on RTM SP3

http://lwgame.net/fi...Patcher_6.0.rar

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows xp