Great news for all the Windows XP users. Rafael has released the patched uxtheme.dll file for the final version of Windows XP SP3.
Uxtheme.dll by default prevents users from installing themes that are not digitally signed by Microsoft. By patching this DLL, you can install all third party visual styles (.msstyles) that are not digitally signed.
Replace this file and enjoy thousands of free visual styles!
Download: 6.0.2900.5512_EN.rar | Mirror
Note: The above link is for Windows XP users only. Here are the uxtheme patch for other Windows versions:
Uxtheme Patch for Windows 7 SP1
Uxtheme Patch for Windows 8
How To Replace Uxtheme.dll
1. First of all delete uxtheme.dll file from C:\Windows\system32\dllcache and C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
2. Navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and backup the original uxtheme.dll by renaming it or by copying it on your desktop.
3. Paste the patched or hacked uxtheme.dll (which you downloaded from here) to C:\Windows\system32.
* You should get a pop-up windows titled "Windows File Protection". Click on OK.
* You should then see a second Windows File Protection pop-up window asking you to insert your SP2 CD. Click on Cancel.
* You'll then get a third pop-up window asking you if you are sure you want to keep the unrecognized file. Click Yes.
* If you get another pop-us then ignore it and reboot your PC.
Congratulatiuon you are now ready to use third-party visual styles.
Second Method (Using Replacer)
2. Download Replacer and extract the content.
3. Run replacer.cmd. A black command prompt window should appear.
4. Browse to C:\Windows\system32 and find uxtheme.dll. Drag this file into the command prompt window. Press enter.
5. Drag in the unlocked (patched) uxtheme.dll into the command prompt window. Press enter.
6. Confirm the replacement and wait for Replacer to finish. Press any key when prompted.
Congratulation you are now ready to use third-party visual styles like this one:
Browse visual style here.