• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge

it means that they changes something in the gnome. do compiz --replace to go back to using compiz-fusion.

you MIGHT want to fire up synaptic (package manager) and see about installing XGL, that does help for a speed increase.

just start up synaptic

(open a terminal and sudo synaptic ) it will ask for your password.
then choose the search button, and search for xgl. dont get the DEV files, you wont need them. once installed, reboot (OR control + Alt + Backspace) that resets the x.org server, and it should use xgl also, and the effects should fly then :D

S--t man . I lost my both top and bottom panel. How Can I restore that ? Please some body help. I am unable to launch anything. My desk looks like this

i think....
press alt + f2
the "run" box will pop up.
do gnome-control-center

i think that is the command.

that should allow you to get back both of your panels in there.

might i suggest using only 1 panel, that way you have just a bit more screen real estate?

Or you could try this, by alt-f2 again, nautilus...
view hidden files...

.gconf/apps/panel/profiles/default/toplevels/bottom_panel/%gconf.xml,
and I found that the monitor value was set to "-1" and the screen value wasn't
set at all. I set them both to "0". Still no visible panel. Then I also set
orientation to "top", and now had a visible panel on the LCD. So then I went
into
.gconf/apps/panel/profiles/default/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen1
and set monitor and screen to "1" and again orientation to "top".

that should give you a panel.

yankie, dont use AWN then, use wbar. it is in the ubuntu forums somewhere, and if you cant find it, then i will post it here for you.

the config requires a bit of text editing, but it works just like AWN, more or less, and it does not require compositing.

it is what i use.

#22 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

no alt F2 and other functions are working I can only go through desktop icons

#23 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

OK, i remember what it is, do....

/usr/bin/gnome-panel-preferences

that will give you the option to make new panels incase you deleted the old ones.

doing gnome-panel starts up the panel, BTW.

ok, start up nautilus (file manager)
go to system (file system)
go in to usr folder
go in to bin folder

find gnome-panel-preferences

double click

once you get this working, make a shortcut / desktop launcher to gnome-terminal. that thing will save your butt more times that you will possibly know.

Edited by Solo, 29 April 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#24 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge

it means that they changes something in the gnome. do compiz --replace to go back to using compiz-fusion.

you MIGHT want to fire up synaptic (package manager) and see about installing XGL, that does help for a speed increase.

just start up synaptic

(open a terminal and sudo synaptic ) it will ask for your password.
then choose the search button, and search for xgl. dont get the DEV files, you wont need them. once installed, reboot (OR control + Alt + Backspace) that resets the x.org server, and it should use xgl also, and the effects should fly then :D

I'm not sure why you guys were trying to set the WM as Metacity in the first place. :blink:

By default, 8.04 uses Metacity with Compiz-Fusion, and you have full effects that you would have with Emerald.

If you want to use emerald, instead of metacity, the easiest thing to do is what I outlined here:

http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=18081

hey adrynalyne,
Is there a way to force the effects to work on an unsupported card? I'm trying to get an old machine to run it, but no go. I can't even get AWN working after it installs. It starts AWN but just flashes where it supposed to show and goes away, but it remains running in the background.

You want my help after bashing me?

:lol:

How old is the machine/what is the card?

XGL will usually work for older devices.

https://help.ubuntu....siteManager/Xgl

Or you could try enabling compositing in Metacity. This will give basic effects, shadows, transparency, but thats about it. IT will allow AWN to run, too.

gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool true

Thanks. lol I wasn't bashing... just a simple debate. I don't hate you or anything.

The system is an old gateway with 9GB and probably the requirements of Ubuntu. It's old and laying around so mine as well use it. I'll post back the results.

Thanks again adrynalyne

#25 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

oh yeah, good reference for those that need it...

http://www.yolinux.c...IALS/GNOME.html

#26 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

http://wbar.googleco..._1.3.3_i386.deb
wbar for those that care for it.

ok, all of this talk of linux has made me lose my desire to work on my windows app, ao i am booting in to linux now...

and evidently someone made a wbarconf app...

http://www.gnomefile...hp?soft_id=2254

Posted Image

very nice!

#27 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

[/quote] i think....
press alt + f2
the "run" box will pop up.
do gnome-control-center

i think that is the command.

that should allow you to get back both of your panels in there.

might i suggest using only 1 panel, that way you have just a bit more screen real estate?

Or you could try this, by alt-f2 again, nautilus...
view hidden files...

.gconf/apps/panel/profiles/default/toplevels/bottom_panel/%gconf.xml,
and I found that the monitor value was set to "-1" and the screen value wasn't
set at all. I set them[/quote][/quote] both to "0". Still no visible panel. Then I also set
orientation to "top", and now had a visible panel on the LCD. So then I went
into
.gconf/apps/panel/profiles/default/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen1
and set monitor and screen to "1" and again orientation to "top".

that should give you a panel.

yankie, dont use AWN then, use wbar. it is in the ubuntu forums somewhere, and if you cant find it, then i will post it here for you.

the config requires a bit of text editing, but it works just like AWN, more or less, and it does not require compositing.

it is what i use.
[/quote]

HOW CAN I DO IT IN A TERMINAL

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 29 April 2008 - 09:05 PM.

#28 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

I Got everything back Thanks to A VERY GOOD FRIEND adrynalyne with out his help I was in a big trouble. Yanike for sparing some time for me
and SOLO 4 putting me in the dock(really, u offered a lot of help ). But it was my blunder. I had accedently removed the gnome desktop. Now I am very very happy. I Love LINUX. I love UBUNTU and I made a very matured, lasting friendship with adrynalyne, Thank u man ur a superguy

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 29 April 2008 - 09:32 PM.

#29 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

see? Linux makes people mature. :D

#30 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:09 AM

I Got everything back Thanks to A VERY GOOD FRIEND adrynalyne with out his help I was in a big trouble. Yanike for sparing some time for me
and SOLO 4 putting me in the dock(really, u offered a lot of help ). But it was my blunder. I had accedently removed the gnome desktop. Now I am very very happy. I Love LINUX. I love UBUNTU and I made a very matured, lasting friendship with adrynalyne, Thank u man ur a superguy

Quite welcome :)

#31 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

I had a visit to ubuntu forums where I found this question who thanked me to restore his Gnome Panel ( :woot: ). His another problem is following
ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/disk/by=vvid/string... file or directory
Please type /sbin/mount/.ntfs --help for details.
Do anyone know about this? I think this may due to his hard disk format ! Instead of ext3 that fellow may used ntfs for linux installation?

An answer can be posted here or there. That guy is really under pressure. I want newbies to stick with linux and so this post is here

:yes:

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 01 May 2008 - 07:34 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!