LINUX Masters to help

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

After installing Ubuntu GUTSY ( a very nice OS as I had used only windows earlier) I have following problems

1. My sound card is realtek. UBUNTU detected it as ALC 883 (?). However the sound lost 90 % compare to windows. I can just hear a head phone loud sounds through my creative speakers which earlier thundered the whole locality !

Now I have found the solutions for sound. This URL will help those who are facing the sound problems. I am happy Now everything perfect. WOH I LOVE UBUNTU.

:lol:
http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=205449 B)

2. Some of the theme d/l from here like YANIKE AERO2. emerald, A G ZIP (?) file is not opening with archive manager

System details
Intel pentium D 3 Ghz
1 GB RAM
Intel 8945 chip set family
Gigabyte main board
Intel Graphics card 128 MB RAM
Realtek Audio and Ethernet

A topic or a tutorials about the LINUX environment in simple explanation for those who are migrating or experimenting with Linux environment will be very helpful

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 28 April 2008 - 08:31 PM.

#2 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

1. My sound card is realtek. UBUNTU detected it as ALC 883 (?). However the sound lost 90 % compare to windows. I can just hear a head phone loud sounds through my creative speakers which earlier thundered the whole locality !

The way sound works in Linux just confuses me. However, Ubuntu 8.04 is coming out tomorrow, which is supposed to have a different sound server (or whatever it's called), so the sound might work better.

2. Some of the theme d/l from here like YANIKE AERO2. emerald, A G ZIP (?) file is not opening with archive manager

To use emerald themes, you have to have Compiz-Fusion enabled (or Beryl, but Compiz-Fusion is newer).
I'm not sure if your graphics card is supported, but your system setup seems to be good enough to run it (better than mine, which runs Compiz-Fusion pretty smoothly)

In Synaptic (System>Admin>Synaptic Package Manager), make sure you have CCSM and Emerald installed (I think Emerald is also installed by default, but just make sure).

Once installed, go to System>Preferences>Appearance, and select Custom in the Visual Effects tab, then click the Preferences button or go to System>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

Enable the Windows Decoration plugin and change the Command setting to "Emerald --replace" (without the quotes). Your windows borders should have changed.

Now go to System>Preferences>Emerald Theme Manager and click Import. Open the *.emerald file you want to use.

I hope that helps. I'm not really good at explaining stuff. :whistle:

Edited by Genius314, 23 April 2008 - 04:40 PM.

#3 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

[quote name='Genius314' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:07 PM' post='169347']
[/quote]

To use emerald themes, you have to have Compiz-Fusion enabled (or Beryl, but Compiz-Fusion is newer).
I'm not sure if your graphics card is supported, but your system setup seems to be good enough to run it (better than mine, which runs Compiz-Fusion pretty smoothly)

In Synaptic (System>Admin>Synaptic Package Manager), make sure you have CCSM and Emerald installed (I think Emerald is also installed by default, but just make sure).

Once installed, go to System>Preferences>Appearance, and select Custom in the Visual Effects tab, then click the Preferences button or go to System>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

Enable the Windows Decoration plugin and change the Command setting to "Emerald --replace" (without the quotes). Your windows borders should have changed.

Now go to System>Preferences>Emerald Theme Manager and click Import. Open the *.emerald file you want to use.

I hope that helps. I'm not really good at explaining stuff. :whistle:
[/quote]

Thx for the help and compliment. But CCSM not installed. Under visual effects tab no CUSTOM to select !
The Advanced Desktop Effects Settings also not there. I think it is due to CCSM not installed. How can I install it ?
Sorry to bother you One more question. Is there any requirement of Defragment tool like
windows ? I came to know that no anti virus, anti spy ware and firewalls are not necessary !

By the way I installed Emerald theme manager. U guided me nicely. Please answer the others Qs also

:)

#4 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

Sorry, I think the name of CCSM changed. Check if gnome-compiz-manager is installed, and install it (The same way as you installed emerald). That should make those options appear.

Also, I haven't tried any defragmenting programs, so I can't help with that. Sorry.

#5 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

No, the name is same. That was my ignorance. Now i got the CCSM too. But not yet able 2 install the yanike Aero2 theme ? There is no option like install or use or apply etc in the emerald theme manager. Screen shot attached

Attached Files

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 23 April 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#6 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hmm... maybe Compiz-Fusion isn't on? Try pressing Alt-F2 and typing in:
compiz --replace

You should notice some effects now (such as Wobbly Windows), and hopefully the theme should be applied now.

#7 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Genius 314. I have done it with the help of you.

:yes:

Now remaining is sound problem, I hope installing WINE may help ? Its site says with in linux windows application can use sound graphics and other some drivers. But waiting for Ubuntu 8.04 to come

See the priview. Is it Ok ?

Any I want to download more themes. Where i will find some ? Will the procedure Same for all ?

Thanks once again

;)

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   125.91K   74 downloads

#8 Genius314

Genius314

WinMatrixian

• 192 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

I don't think Wine will fix the sound problem. I think it's just a problem with the sound server. But I don't know too much about it.

As for emerald themes, you can get them from here. Just click the "Emerald Themes" link in the menu on the left.
The installation should be the same (without the installing CCSM part and everything, of course). You download an *.emerald file, go to Emerald Theme Manager and import the file, then just select it from the list.

#9 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

hmm... I have realtek on my new Compaq PC and the sound was good. Have you adjusted the PCM Levels? Turning them up to the highest level under sound properties.

#10 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:28 AM

yanike beat me to it. right clikc on the sound icon in the task bar and adjust the PCM sliders, that is what controlls your MP3 and such audio. once you get it to where you want it to be, THEN use the master (or normal) slider to level off your volume.

http://www.gnome-look.org for metacity themes.
you can do also

gtk-window-decorator --replace --metacity-theme

and that will load compiz-fusion / bberyl, but use metacity for the display, so you can have the metacity borders and have the compiz wobbly windows and such as is with it.

i make that one command in to a shell script, and modded it for fast windows manager swapping with compiz still enabled. basically, i can use it with gnome, kde and xfce (xfwm)

Edited by Solo, 24 April 2008 - 01:34 AM.

#11 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:13 AM

you know, i just found the "global menu" hack under gutsy, and i have been fiddling with the idea of making my own "OpenMac" Linux distro. anyone interested in putting together a game plan with me on what should and should not be included?

#12 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

yanike beat me to it. right clikc on the sound icon in the task bar and adjust the PCM sliders, that is what controlls your MP3 and such audio. once you get it to where you want it to be, THEN use the master (or normal) slider to level off your volume.

you can do also

and that will load compiz-fusion / bberyl, but use metacity for the display, so you can have the metacity borders and have the compiz wobbly windows and such as is with it.

i make that one command in to a shell script, and modded it for fast windows manager swapping with compiz still enabled. basically, i can use it with gnome, kde and xfce (xfwm)

But Still the sound is very very less. In xp it is working very fine. Is there anyway to update my soundcard drivers (realtek) for Ubuntu ? I hope after updating to 8.04 will clear my problems ? Thanx to you all for the very helping offered

#13 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

you can do also

Hey solo

Now my Emerald themes are not working. Earlier it was fine. I used this (gtk-window-decorator --replace --metacity-theme)
Is compiz -fusion have any problem with 8.04 ?

on compiz --replace terminal says

abhi@abhi-desktop:~$ compiz --replace
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 00:02.0 0300: 8086:2772 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1280x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
Checking for nVidia: not present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.

What is this error meant ?

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/compiz-fusion-bcop_0.6.0-1_all.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/bcop', which is also in package compiz-bcop

#14 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

No reply yet

#15 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge

it means that they changes something in the gnome. do compiz --replace to go back to using compiz-fusion.

you MIGHT want to fire up synaptic (package manager) and see about installing XGL, that does help for a speed increase.

just start up synaptic

(open a terminal and sudo synaptic ) it will ask for your password.
then choose the search button, and search for xgl. dont get the DEV files, you wont need them. once installed, reboot (OR control + Alt + Backspace) that resets the x.org server, and it should use xgl also, and the effects should fly then :D

#16 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:17 PM

GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge

it means that they changes something in the gnome. do compiz --replace to go back to using compiz-fusion.

you MIGHT want to fire up synaptic (package manager) and see about installing XGL, that does help for a speed increase.

just start up synaptic

then choose the search button, and search for xgl. dont get the DEV files, you wont need them. once installed, reboot (OR control + Alt + Backspace) that resets the x.org server, and it should use xgl also, and the effects should fly then :D

I'm not sure why you guys were trying to set the WM as Metacity in the first place. :blink:

By default, 8.04 uses Metacity with Compiz-Fusion, and you have full effects that you would have with Emerald.

If you want to use emerald, instead of metacity, the easiest thing to do is what I outlined here:

http://www.winmatrix...showtopic=18081

#17 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

might have something to do with the fact that i am not using 8 yet.

yeah, i know, upgrade damnit. i am waiting on the disc from Ship-It.

#18 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

just start up synaptic

S--t man . I lost my both top and bottom panel. How Can I restore that ? Please some body help. I am unable to launch anything. My desk looks like this

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   113.94K   80 downloads

#19 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

just start up synaptic

I'm not sure why you guys were trying to set the WM as Metacity in the first place. :blink:

By default, 8.04 uses Metacity with Compiz-Fusion, and you have full effects that you would have with Emerald.

If you want to use emerald, instead of metacity, the easiest thing to do is what I outlined here:

hey adrynalyne,
Is there a way to force the effects to work on an unsupported card? I'm trying to get an old machine to run it, but no go. I can't even get AWN working after it installs. It starts AWN but just flashes where it supposed to show and goes away, but it remains running in the background.

#20 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

just start up synaptic

hey adrynalyne,
Is there a way to force the effects to work on an unsupported card? I'm trying to get an old machine to run it, but no go. I can't even get AWN working after it installs. It starts AWN but just flashes where it supposed to show and goes away, but it remains running in the background.

You want my help after bashing me?

:lol:

How old is the machine/what is the card?

XGL will usually work for older devices.

https://help.ubuntu....siteManager/Xgl

Or you could try enabling compositing in Metacity. This will give basic effects, shadows, transparency, but thats about it. IT will allow AWN to run, too.

gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --type bool true

Edited by adrynalyne, 29 April 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!