Windows 7 M1 Build 6574.1 Screenshots and Video

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

The Chinese Website that previously posted screenshots of Windows 7 M1 Build 6519 is back with with new info and screenshots for an updated Windows 7 M1 release, Build 6574.1:

No, even Milestone 1 isn’t a single release. Microsoft releases multiple versions of M1 with different minor version numbers. Well, for me it is the 2nd one I’ve gotten but I’ve no idea about how many releases Microsoft did before. I’ll use Win7 M1 R2, which stands for Windows 7 Milestone 1 Release 2, to describe it in the following. Please be noted, ‘Release 2’ is my naming convention, not Microsoft’s.

My Computer, watch the toolbar, 2 buttons at right. The first one is the View, the second one is used to toggle displaying preview panel. Besides that, look at the left panel, it’s redesigned, only Favorites, My Document, My Computer and Network there, more organized and simpler.
Window behavior is another area being enhanced. Double clicking on the top or bottom border of a window makes the window automatically adapts to the screen heights, but double clicking on left or right border makes nothing happen.

Posted Image

And, sorting options for different content.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Health Center, looks like Microsoft really starts caring your computer’s health. Besides, mind the mouse over effect.
Posted Image

click it, we get
Posted Image

Windows Health Center
Posted Image

let’s expand the Computer System
Posted Image

Windows Health Center Settings
Posted Image

Another great change is the Search in Start Menu. In Vista, after start typing search keywords the left half of Start Menu shows the search result. In Win7 M1 R2, the whole Start Menu area is used to show search result, including the right half which in Vista is used to display those traditional links such as My Documents, My Computer and Control Panel etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is no sidebar gadget control in system tray. Remember the vertical line of Vista’s sidebar when you move mouse on it? That’s not for Win7. Sidebar gadgets are much more similar as other objects on desktop like Recycle Bin. In Vista, you can’t click through the Sidebar area, for Win7 you can. The add gadget window looks like that in Vista.

Posted Image

The best enhancement comes from UAC, annoying UAC (User Account Control if you didn’t hear of it. Well… I think even a non-Vista user hear of the infamous UAC). Now we all know it was designed to annoy users but no more annoying in Win7 M1.
When you issue multiple actions which require approval from UAC. At the second request Win7 pops up a dialogue asking would you like to temporarily disable UAC thus you won’t be asked. Choose Yes and you win. This is much more user-friendly. Why didn’t you geniuses do this in Vista?
You know at this dialogue no hotkey works. I couldn’t get screenshot so I took a picture.

Posted Image

Video

In this video you can see:
- smart display
- better search
- preview button
- double clicking top border to make the window auto-adept screen
- behavior of clicking separator between address box and search box

:bulletblue: Click for the Video

Note: This is one of the early builds of Windows 7. The final version won't look like this.

#2 mediar

mediar

Active WinMatrixian

• 468 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

For now it looks more like Vista. The design is good. Thanks for the images. :)

#3 j4f

j4f

Active WinMatrixian

• 482 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Googles cache of the original ThinkNext post:
http://64.233.183.10...x...t=clnk&cd=1

#4 Culprit

Culprit

I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

• 817 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

it looks like they will redeem themselves with this

#5 AndrewJ

AndrewJ

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

This is basically Windows Vista SE? fixing all the issues Vista has, that said I am enjoying Vista X64 Sp1 Ultimate.

Nice to see how 7 is developing though nice post :yes:

#6 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

This is basically Windows Vista SE? fixing all the issues Vista has, that said I am enjoying Vista X64 Sp1 Ultimate.

Nice to see how 7 is developing though nice post :yes:

Glad to see 7 is coming along. That said, I also enjoy Vista, but can't wait to see 7 after its completion. :woot:

#7 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

I too think that these enhancements are good for Vista, but for a new operating system it's just a beginning!

Edited by SharmanNet, 23 April 2008 - 06:27 PM.

#8 dlegend

dlegend

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:14 AM

I'd really like to see these enhancements in SP2. They would improve Vista quite a bit. But I like how things are progressing so far with Windows 7

#9 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

In Win7 M1 R2, the whole Start Menu area is used to show search result, including the right half..

It looks better now.

#10 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Loving the dead bug on the last image :P

#11 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

I'd really like to see these enhancements in SP2.

It would be great! :yes:

#12 pm_41

pm_41

CS student

• 1,394 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

I would like to see some early estimates of the hardware requirements needed to run Windows 7...

#13 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

Looks very much like Vista but improved. I really like that search, much better. Can't wait to see what else is going to come out.

#14 proenca

proenca

New WinMatrixian

• 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:45 AM

thanks for those SS, but please.. clean your monitor.. :)

#15 windowsguy

windowsguy

New WinMatrixian

• 21 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:22 AM

windows health center sounds like an improved security center.

#16 KaneBT

KaneBT

Super WinMatrixian

• 144 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:27 AM

I agree, this just looks like a possible Windows Vista SE to me...

#17 Seventh Surfer

Seventh Surfer

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:48 AM

Looks like an improved Vista. It's interesting to see the development of the next Windows. :D

#18 The Silent Warrior

The Silent Warrior

Got Orange Stars?

• 2,574 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

Nice screenies ;)

#19 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

It really looks like an enhanced version of Vista currently. I would love to use it, going to download it now.. :ph34r:

Edited by Liskiller, 01 May 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#20 XXPhantomPhreakXX

XXPhantomPhreakXX

WinMatrixian

• 116 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

To me it all looks like a whole lot of different Shell Styles put together with some help with some BricoPack like Vista Inspirat Ultimate....The Start Menu just looks to much like ViStart....Just a bit too ify if you ask me, I'll stick with my XP, Vista got nice eye Candy, Wallpapers and a few other things but it runs bad like Windows ME, wouldnt surprise Microsoft just made a Dud just to come out with a better OS for just more money, Like we can afford that....

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!