Photo
- - - - -

What's the best free antivirus and firewall combination?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 KaneBT

KaneBT

Super WinMatrixian

• 144 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

Zonealarm Free & AVG Free.
With Windows Defender, Spybot and Ad-Aware 2007.

#22 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

@BinaryChaos thanks for correcting me. I checked ZoneAlarm.com again and found out that it now works with Vista.

#23 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

@BinaryChaos thanks for correcting me. I checked ZoneAlarm.com again and found out that it now works with Vista.

@M.Sudoku no problem

#24 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

Windows firewall with Windows defender and a good Antivirus solution is not at all bad Idea on Vista.

For Spyware Webroot is the best one to BUY. Spyware Terminator is a freely available antispyware utility with a semi firewall like utility. I am using these two with symantec corporate edition (AV). No firewall installed and very much satisfied No attacks till todate. I even surf all torrent, warez and other black listed sites. Still going fine and My experience with the windows starts back 1993. Using a pop up menu firewall, is infact people think, is the most computer literate do ?

I would like 2 know from all 3rd party firewall users, Are they not yet affected ? A true reply expected .

#25 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:08 AM

My statement was for Windows Vista firewall which is in fact good enough for home users. Windows XP firewall was not sufficient and I never recommended it. :)

The bottom line is that Vista's security is better, but still does not discard the need for third-party firewalls and antivirus.

http://www.firewalll..._leaktests.html

Vista firewall requires you to create a rule for each malicious application known to mankind. Outbound connections from applications that don't match an existing rule in the firewall are, by default, allowed. This pretty much renders outbound protection ineffective.

http://www.cnet.com/...9801386-33.html

the Vista Firewall is not much different from Windows Firewall included with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 except the ability to block outgoing traffic which does not exist in Windows XP.

http://labnol.blogsp...dows-vista.html

Even Windows Vista requires third-party protection programs to provide the necessary level of protection from leaks.

http://news.softpedi...aks-74871.shtml

The new Windows Firewall in Windows Vista allows outbound connections by default.
Writing exceptions is fine, except if you are a solo home user with no idea what to block or even how to block it. Home users of Windows Vista are again paying the price for having a stripped-down operating system designed for a corporate enterprise running on their PC. Unless you are an IT administrator, unless you know where to look, you're unlikely to tweak the advanced firewall settings.

http://www.cnet.com....39273413,00.htm

--

Would you recommend the Vista Firewall for home users *now*?

#26 nealloy

nealloy

Active WinMatrixian

• 492 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

you could use Kaspersky internet security. even though it's not free but u could buy it just for £5 from ebay. i bought one and since three months i m using it. i m really very happy with it as it's very light.

#27 Fraxtil

Fraxtil

Junior Software Technician

• 193 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:12 AM

Windows Vista built-in Firewall is good enough for a home user. Also Windows Defender is also sufficient as Anti-spyware. The only thing which you need is a good anti-virus program.

I'll suggest you to give a try to avast! or Avira. Both are good and free.

Windows Defender couldn't find spyware to save its life.

Almost the most worthless app ever.

I beg to differ- Windows Defender found a high-severe risk virus once, a dialer worm, on my computer. ^_^

#28 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

My statement was for Windows Vista firewall which is in fact good enough for home users. Windows XP firewall was not sufficient and I never recommended it. :)

I would have to agree with Vishal here. For a person who just uses their computer to read emails and just browse the internet, the built in Vista firewall would be enough. However someone who uses their computer to do more then puts themselves more at risk and needs a better firewall.

However if you take into account that the majority of home users now have routers that would also count as another layer of protection, though that isn't a reason to disregard a software firewall.

To be different to all of you, I use AVG 8 Internet Security and have had no problems with it. To be honest I have used AVG Free for years and never had a problem with it and would highly recommend it.

#29 juliankreuz

juliankreuz

WinMatrixian

• 124 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

For Free Users:

Avira Antivir Free Antivirus + ThreatFire Free + Spyware Doctor Starter Edition + Sandboxie + AMUST 1 Defender + DropMyRights
+ Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0

For advanced users:

Avira Antivir Premium + ThreatFire Pro + Spyware Doctor + Sandboxie + AMUST 1 Defender + DropMyRights
+ Jetico Personal Firewall 2.0

TOTALLY SECURED!!!

Edited by juliankreuz, 21 April 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#30 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

I would have to agree with Vishal here. For a person who just uses their computer to read emails and just browse the internet, the built in Vista firewall would be enough. However someone who uses their computer to do more then puts themselves more at risk and needs a better firewall.

A person who just uses their computer to read emails and browse the net is more likely prone to attacks, compared to someone for instance who also spends time programming or gaming or music/movies. It's simple really. More time spent clicking on net = More chances of getting attacked.
Besides, a person who's using their comp just for the net is highly under-utilizing a device which is capable of doing so much more. Everyone can benefit from a computer in ways not connected to the net, and if such a person is unaware of the possibilities, it's highly probable that the said person isn't aware of safe practices such as not opening unknown files, not clicking on those ads that insist you to install their antispyware app, etc. I'm speaking from experience here; I've seen and known quite a few of those "just for email and net" people fall for such common tricks.

However if you take into account that the majority of home users now have routers that would also count as another layer of protection, though that isn't a reason to disregard a software firewall.

Many home users have wireless too now, and a lot of them are ignorant about WEP/WPA etc. Besides, routers by default only filter inbound connections, which isn't much of a threat these days. A router isn't going to stop a keylogger or spyware from calling home.

'why fix it if it's not broke?' I've seen this attitude in many users; for eg, many of them don't bother to install the updates that windows update has downloaded, they keep cancelling the "Install Updates" prompt. It's attitudes like this that places home users at higher risk.

#31 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

ZenOK Free Antivirus + windows firewall

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!