16 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

Posted Image

MIAMI--Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates on Friday indicated that Windows 7, the next major version of Windows, could come within the next year, far ahead of the development schedule previously indicated by the software maker.

In response to a question about Windows Vista, Gates, speaking before the Inter-American Development Bank here, said: "Sometime in the next year or so we will have a new version." Referring to Windows 7, the code name for the next full release of Windows client software, Gates said: "I'm super-enthused about what it will do in lots of ways."

-------------------

Less than 24 hours ago, a Microsoft representative told CNET News.com that the company expects to ship the successor to Vista roughly three years from Vista's January 2007 debut.

Unclear is whether Gates was referring to early testing of Windows 7 coming within the year, as opposed to a widespread release or debut. An early test geared toward developers would be conceivable. The company has repeatedly said that it will accelerate the development of new Windows versions, largely as a response to Vista's roughly five year gestation period.

News source: Cnet

#2 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

Since this is Microsoft, I won't expect anything until 2010, or at least very late 2009. :yes:

#3 CommonSense

CommonSense

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,620 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

ok.....so they just released vista and now they're already working on a new os even though the release of sp1 caused almost as much problems as it fixed...

#4 Blake Pender

Blake Pender

Microsoft IT Professional

• 363 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Probably Beta Testing, if it is the OS, then FREE (Remember that Microsoft) to all Windows Vista Ultimate Users, we have paid so much for an operating system with very little extras

But why so early? Vista is coming alright now (my opinion)

#5 John_t1

John_t1

John_T1

• 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:40 AM

Funny how we're so interested in what's coming AFTER Vista. I'm guessing it's that bad.

#6 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:04 AM

Funny how we're so interested in what's coming AFTER Vista. I'm guessing it's that bad.

Give it a rest. Everyone looks toward new OSes, thats the nature of software. New toys, new features, new bugs.

Its the same story, every time.

#7 winmatrix2007

winmatrix2007

im ready to rock

• 579 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:49 AM

this is madness windows 7 will be out in 2010 or possibly 2011

#8 PRATOSH

PRATOSH

WINMATRIX DEVELOPER.

• 563 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

this is madness windows 7 will be out in 2010 or possibly 2011

yup i agree microsoft can never finish windows 7 by 2009.definitely in dec 2010 for the holiday season.

#9 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:31 AM

Still, it would be nice if microsoft managed to finish it by next year. It would be cool. Kinda.

#10 The Silent Warrior

The Silent Warrior

Got Orange Stars?

• 2,574 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

The first milestone was just released which was in no way different than Vista so I don't think that Microsoft is so fast to launch the final OS before the end of 2009 with all those expected features.

#11 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

The first milestone was just released which was in no way different than Vista so I don't think that Microsoft is so fast to launch the final OS before the end of 2009 with all those expected features.

The first milestone with a GUI no different than Vista, you mean.

Microsoft has unlimited resources. Don't say impossible just yet.

#12 BinaryChaos

BinaryChaos

WinMatrixian

• 169 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

<_< I believe windows 7 will be the greatest operating system ever made with learning from their mistakes with Vista. I just hope they don't make it hierarchical cause thats just too costly and silly. Only 2 editions Microsoft!!

#13 EzPCX

EzPCX

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

This shows vista is just a dumpy window. A testing version and is selling so expensive. They shouldn't release vista at the first place... SWT...

#14 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

This shows vista is just a dumpy window. A testing version and is selling so expensive. They shouldn't release vista at the first place... SWT...

You probably have never even used Vista...

#15 SharmanNet

SharmanNet

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:13 PM

company expects to ship the successor to Vista roughly three years from Vista's January 2007 debut.

Only 21 months are left.. :P

#16 Culprit

Culprit

I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

• 817 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:48 AM

maybe microsoft will make "windows 7" what vista was supposed to be with an entire new file system and all that jazz. Maybe they will redeem themselves. **Note im not bashing on vista i do like it but it was supposed to be much better then it is

#17 EzPCX

EzPCX

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

You probably have never even used Vista...

Sorry to tell you i got a few versions of vista license. Personally i just feel vista is just a copy cat. Dont see any new improvement or enhancement. But i do agree that microsoft did xp very well!

Edited by EzPCX, 07 April 2008 - 06:32 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!