Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Calling on all Vista bashers...Bring It ON!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
166 replies to this topic

#161 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:54 AM

and no one should bash Vista when people bash Vista it reminds me of all the bashing that went on when xp came out and now you are all fighting for xp
thats is so funny. People will come around and will love Vista and when Windows 7 comes out people will bash that and love vista but what is funny the same people that will love vista when windows 7 comes out will be the same people that were bashing it

Yeah, People are quick to hop on the Anti-Vista train only because 1.) They don't have the hardware to run it, and for that it's automatically Microsoft's fault, 2.) Because everyone else is doing it, 3.) They are afraid of change.

It really is rediculous as XP, the very system everyone seems to be fighting for, went through the same phase. And it wasn't until XP SP 2, something that could also be marketed as a separate OS, or SE from XP, that XP came alive.

I just hate how unstable Vista was when it came out and how slow it still is today. To me,Windows Vista shouldn't of been released until it was stable enough to run a lot of programs. I hate it that IE was crashing as much as it did and programs still find a way to crash out. Apple did a great job on there programs. There OS is very stable and there programs run like a charm on stardard hardware.

Guess I'll see a change by SP2, when everyone will have good enough PCs and Laptops to run the requirement.

Edited by yanike, 18 April 2008 - 09:23 AM.

#162 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

I'm trying a different Vista now that's stripped of the bullcrap that came with my PC.

I'm going to see how great it is without the baggage.

Posted Image

#163 Airflow

Airflow

wolfriA

• 796 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

Oh my god, that looks incredible, especially the fact that it comse with the orb - most people put the stupid start menu, which was one of the reason I switched to Vista, to get rid of that gay thing.

#164 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

And you guys saying "that’s just superfetch": You don't know what you are talking about.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I think you might what to rethink just what it is you know before telling others what they don't.

2) Vista uses way to much ram. And you guys saying "that’s just superfetch": You don't know what you are talking about.
There are a couple of different numbers in the Vista task manager when it comes to ram. The big green number is how much Vista and the programs use. That number doesn't include the amount of ram that's being used by superfetch.
Under that, is 3 smaller numbers. The first is the total amount of ram installed on the system. (Mine is 2038)
The second is how much Superfetch uses to cache files from the harddisk. Yes, that’s being counted separately. The memory used by superfetch is NOT INCLUDED in the big green number that’s usually lies over 800MB.
And the third is how much ram applications, the OS, or superfetch is not using.

You can bash me on the first.
However, if you try to bash me on the second, then you are in the wrong forum.

Superfetch isn't the only prefetching/caching mechanism in Vista. The OS has been designed to make the best use of free RAM. The RAM usage is variable and not fixed. If an application requests for more RAM it'll be allocated to it. Case in point: Vista is running perfectly on my 512 MB, 1GHz Celeron machine. (of course, I've disabled Aero, Indexing, etc)

Don't forget that idle RAM is wasted RAM. Performance was never measured by the amount of free RAM.

Exactly. Which is why comparing two Vista machines side by side with the same apps but different amounts of ram show a very different picture in Task Manager. Who cares what the "big green" number is if Vista allocates ram where I need it, when i need it?

Too many people play the numbers game. Somehow lots of free ram makes a better computing experience. Unused ram makes your computer faster, you know :whistle:

#165 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Okay, I’m using vista right know.
And there 2 things I hate.

1) It takes way too long to open a big .exe file. It is as if Vista makes a complete scan of it before I can open it.

2) Vista uses way to much ram. And you guys saying "that’s just superfetch": You don't know what you are talking about.
There are a couple of different numbers in the Vista task manager when it comes to ram. The big green number is how much Vista and the programs use. That number doesn't include the amount of ram that's being used by superfetch.
Under that, is 3 smaller numbers. The first is the total amount of ram installed on the system. (Mine is 2038)
The second is how much Superfetch uses to cache files from the harddisk. Yes, that’s being counted separately. The memory used by superfetch is NOT INCLUDED in the big green number that’s usually lies over 800MB.
And the third is how much ram applications, the OS, or superfetch is not using.

You can bash me on the first.
However, if you try to bash me on the second, then you are in the wrong forum.

Explain this for me, if you will. The "big green" number was sitting at 730mb. I had one IE window open. Since then, I have opened four more IE windows, Outlook 2007, Powerpoint 2007, Excel 2007, Autograph, Word 2007, and OneNote 2007. My green number now shows 830mb. Do you really think that ram usage is that awesome on those apps? I don't.

#166 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

I'm trying a different Vista now that's stripped of the bullcrap that came with my PC.

Posted Image

Nice VS. Where might I find that?

#167 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Posted Image

Nice VS. Where might I find that?

It's the original Vista's theme with Longhorn Explorer (In Beta :D)

No special skin or theme. Just an add-on in the works to make Vista into Longhorn

Edited by yanike, 18 April 2008 - 07:38 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!