Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Calling on all Vista bashers...Bring It ON!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
166 replies to this topic

#41 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

But still, how could apple get such a basic thing wrong???
Delete files from the source, even before moving them to the destination!!!
No ways...

@phoenix_abhi, i've sent you a PM regarding that.

got it. nice a companion like u here

Thanks buddy...let me know if you need any help.
and some nice points you're coming up with...keep it up!

#42 Bogdan

Bogdan

LA all day!

• 180 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

I've been running Vista Ultimate x64 for about 4 months now.
No antivirus installed, STILL works perfect !

If you know what websites you're visiting, and your way around the computer, you're good to go WITHOUT any antivirus.

#43 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:22 PM

But still, how could apple get such a basic thing wrong???
Delete files from the source, even before moving them to the destination!!!
No ways...

LOL!

Dude check the date -> November 5th, 2007
Bug added to fix -> December 8, 2007

This is an old bug that has alread been fixed. The issues I'm talking about are still around on Vista. Leopard was just released not to long ago. Vista has been released for sometime now. Hopefully SP2 (If it comes around) will be better. I'll probably be full Unix Boy by then.

Anyway, I'm off to work and get paid. This definitely woke me up this morning.

Edited by yanike, 03 April 2008 - 07:24 PM.

#44 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

Amazing how an OS X user can justify something that major (just use Time Machine lol), but if it was in Vista...the web would come crashing to a halt with the complaints.

Edited by adrynalyne, 03 April 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#45 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

Vista for me has been nothing short of perfection :) I never was a fan of MAC OS or Linux.

Vista:

No BSOD's.

No malware attacks, Better built in security. UAC is annoying, but it works. To me, thats all that matters.

Only a few crashes resulting from some slightly outdated software.

Better default GUI. Don't need to install so much crapware to better the interface. In fact, I still use AERO, don't have any GUI enhancement software, or extra skins installed. Personally, I think AERO is a greater GUI than Luna or any other XP skin will ever be.

Slightly slower boot time, but nothing I'm going to throw a hissy fit over.

Better organized.

Better stability.

Less time spent downloading patches/upgrades from WU.

Sidebar.

Windows (Live) Photo Gallery. Something XP should have had. I love using this app for my pics.

Games Explorer (Love it)

The built in games have been redone to include better graphics as compared to XP.

XP:

Two system restores.

Malware attacks (Even with AV).

Crapware driveby installs.

Kind of a cruddy GUI. Sorry, I never did like Luna. Although, I wish M$ had used Luna Element 5.1, that skin was sexy! Haha.

Spent to much time trying to figure out problems.

Kinda felt like something was missing. Still had outdated apps installed. Using Paint, solitaire, minesweeper, etc. made me feel like it was 1995 again, lo-res icons, same old windows.... long story short, It was an old OS with a new paint job. XP could have been better if M$ really gave all its energy to it. I hate it when parts of the OS is neglected over time and your left with this rather odd feeling of is this worth my money?

Just all around I think Vista is the better OS. Its new, fresh, re-done from the ground up, it has that new OS smell to it. Sure it has its quirks, but nothing XP hasn't gone through at one point in its life. You just need to make sure you have acceptable hardware (Dual/Quad core processor, 2GB or greater RAM, DX10 card, etc...), or yes, your Vista experience will suck. Mine sucked until I upgraded my hardware. =/

#46 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

Huh What a super flow ? This is the one of the most hot thread i have ever seen in WM

MY share continues

Windows Vista advantages over XP

1. Windows Vista introduces two features SuperFetch and ReadyBoost, to improve the user experience. With SuperFetch more application data should be actively cached into all available memory , whether that is physical RAM or a USB Flash memory device through ReadyBoost. (Do not tell me about e-booster for XP)

2. junk filtering in Windows Mail (Vista ver of Outlook)
3. The start menu has evolved in Vista. At any time one can type search words, resulting in Search-As-You-Type functionality. This search leverages the broader search functions built into Vista. It functions in a very similar fashion to the MSN Desktop Search deskbar - but is integrated directly into the Start Menu. It is actually quite useful, and newly created documents appear to get indexed almost immediately

In Windows XP the All Programs list can become very unwieldy when you have more than ten programs and cover the whole desktop. In Vista the programs list simply scrolls within the Start Menu (A virtual startmenu compare to XP)

4. A new aspect of file system navigation in Vista is a combination of the Library and Search. The Library is essentially a catalog of all of your files, regardless of where they are located. The library can be browsed by a number of different criteria, including Date Modified, Keywords, Author, Kind, and Type. When you perform a search, it will generally be from either the current view or of some subset of the library

5. Media Center in Windows Vista has also received a significant upgrade – both under the hood and cosmetically. Use the Media centre in vista it is totally a pleasant experience

6. some one have posted in his blog

New driver model (Way better than XPs)
New printer stack (Way better than XPs)
New audio stack (Way better than XPs)
New security architecture (Way better than XPs)
New interface (Way better than XPs but this is subjective, but come on, Aero is leaps and bounds ahead of the 'Fisher Price' look you people eloquently labelled XP)
New setup process (Way better than XPs)
New deployment process (Way better than XPs)
New diagnostic, monitoring and reporting program(s) (Way better than XPs)
New Windows Update (Way better than XPs)
New startup process (Way better than XPs)
New memory management (Way better than XPs)
New I/O tech (Way better than XPs)
New Media Centre (Way better than XPs)
New parental controls (Way better than XPs)
New task scheduler (Way better than XPs)

And so on..

now it is enough

good night

#47 TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

GreenMan

• 1,635 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

Vista eats up 76 % of the 1 Gb ram I got while in XP it is just 56 %

RAM is cheap now a days. Give Vista 2GB of RAM and it'll become faster than XP.

#48 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Active WinMatrixian

• 903 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Vista eats up 76 % of the 1 Gb ram I got while in XP it is just 56 %

RAM is cheap now a days. Give Vista 2GB of RAM and it'll become faster than XP.

A good feature to choose Vista over XP:

Shadow Copy.

With the arrival of shadow explorer, all users can access previous file versions now, not just business and ultimate users.

#49 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

Amazing how an OS X user can justify something that major (just use Time Machine lol), but if it was in Vista...the web would come crashing to a halt with the complaints.

See...that was exactly my point behind raising this thing...no matter what the date it was discovered and when it got fixed, the fact that it was left in the first place clearly shows how big a flaw that was...looks like data is not all that important for mac people!

#50 pauldacheez

pauldacheez

Derp.

• 305 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

My two cents:

XP < Vista < All Linux, Linux-like, Linux-esque, whatev < Mac OS X

And no bashing, I've hardly used Vista at all. Not a single PC in my home has any type of Vista on it.

Edited by pauldacheez, 03 April 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#51 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

My two cents:

XP < Vista < All Linux, Linux-like, Linux-esque, whatev < Mac OS X

And no bashing, I've hardly used Vista at all. Not a single PC in my home has any type of Vista on it.

Cool...if OS X is so good, why did apple have to release a 110 MB first update/bug-fix just within first 3 weeks of launching Leopard??? Why were they in such a hurry to release it, that they forgot to get simple things right, like file copying/moving.
And why was there so much chaos amongst Mac users while upgrading to Leopard???
(http://discussions.a...95031&tstart=15)

#52 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

Latest news on XP...

Microsoft plans to pull Windows XP from the OEM channel, as planned, on June 30, 2008.

http://blogs.zdnet.c...crosoft/?p=1312

#53 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

for my friend fediaFedia : I forget to mention cracks and patches regards to vista in my previous post

Here is the big one where Xp fails and Vista had taken a big leap ahead. First microsoft has provided every testers and others all 5 vista version to crack it. 5 means. Vista ultimate, Business Home premium, basic and a non released version (I THINK) vista starter.
Some of the guys done (they think) a good job by cracking the OEM version but brought back to trial period by MS genious well before the SP1 release. Still some of them survived and 90 % of them now died after the release of SP 1. Keep trying to install the vista with cracks and patches but i will say it is a waste of time. Microsoft secretly releasing a new tool to determine the genuinity of the OS with every updation/KBs which will bring u back to the trials period within 2-3 months of ur vista "successfull installation". The defenition of the KB has changed to Killing Base :woot:

Well I installed it again, but I will not install any updates, I'll wait for some hacker's SP1 safe-update release. And I discovered that there are 2 OEM cracks - the one that compresses BOOTMGR, and the one that "just works". :D Too bad the working one is NOT included in BIE vista release. :( First hour of vista usage made me a good impression once again - good performance and stuff. The one thing i "hate" about vista is that hackers couldn't make proper cracks lol and coz I've a old GPU which doesn't support the best thing about vista. But once I get a new one I think I will like using vista. BTW is nVidia 6200 good enough for aero?

Edited by fediaFedia, 03 April 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#54 mcklovin567

mcklovin567

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

WHY CAN't WE BE FRIENDS?

#55 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

Cant really see MS porting Visual Studio 6 to Linux, lol.

MAN WHAT!!!! That would be sweet :) Then again that would be Microsoft holding a gun to Windows head.

Guys, you can develop & run .NET apps on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X and Unix as well...go for Mono project.
http://www.mono-project.com

i dont like .NET though :D

and your right, Microsoft would be committing Sepukku if it did that. :D :D :D

#56 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

WHY CAN't WE BE FRIENDS?

Who...PC and Mac???
Nah... :no:
That's where the big deal is... :D

#57 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

WHY CAN't WE BE FRIENDS?

Who...PC and Mac???
Nah... :no:
That's where the big deal is... :D

sorry, not possible.

#58 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

Vista: 150 million and still growing...
http://news.softpedi...ses-82354.shtml

#59 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:53 PM

New interface (Way better than XPs but this is subjective, but come on, Aero is leaps and bounds ahead of the 'Fisher Price' look you people eloquently labelled XP)

Thats what I thought. The Fischer Price look combined with that silly search dog made me feel as if I was two years old and using a computer for the first time. Haha. :huh: Not really professional looking if you ask me. :blink:

PS: can I ask what is up with that search dog..... Never really understood why he was even there. Haha.....

#60 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

Apple Sued Over Deceptive "Millions of Colors" Advertising:

An iMac owner sued Apple on Monday claiming the 20-inch iMac desktop computers can't display the "millions of colors" Apple promises in promotional materials.

Read here:
http://www.smh.com.a...dmh=dm16.309119

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!