10 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:38 AM

Posted Image
The ribbon UI in Microsoft Office 2007

The people who are drafting the new user interface guidelines for Windows 7 plan to build the Ribbon, Jewel and “other new UI concepts” natively into the Windows platform.

Ultimately, they want software developers to avoid the prehistoric Win32 UI framework from no other than Windows 95. Instead, use this new lightweight and high performance markup-based UI framework to build “rich, graphics and animated user interfaces”. The Ribbon and Jewel (button in the top left corner) will be a part of this new framework.

The Microsoft job posting writes,

Come lead the effort to update the Windows 7 platform with the latest advancements in User Interface design. Bring the Ribbon, Jewel, and other new UI concepts to the Windows platform and work with internal partners and ISVs to update their applications to utilize these hot new UI technologies.

Our mission is to enable the next generation of user interface development on the Windows platform. We will be determining the new Windows user interface guidelines and building a platform that supports it. We’ll eliminate much of the drudgery of Win32 UI development and enable rich, graphical, animated user interface by using markup based UI and a small, high performance, native code runtime.

Read more

#2 TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

GreenMan

• 1,635 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:52 AM

Ribbon, Multi-touch interface and MinWin will make it worth waiting. :)

#3 Fraxtil

Fraxtil

Junior Software Technician

• 193 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

Ribbon, Multi-touch interface and MinWin will make it worth waiting. :)

Couldn't say it better myself! ^_^

I hope they give us the option to change the colors, because I'm sure blue would get tiring after awhile.

#4 Laguna

Laguna

Active WinMatrixian

• 830 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

I don't like Ribbon. But maybe a corner start menu... xD

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

I know that microsoft is gonna let these guys who designed the ribbon UI design explorer. They may not put the ribbon in explorer, but then again...

I actually like vista's explorer...a lot.

I'm not sure if or not replacing the current UI with the ribbon UI is a good idea, I do have very huge second thoughts, but I guess we'll have to wait.

I know the only reason M$ is doing this is because the office ribbon UI received very good feedback, and M$ is hoping the guys who designed the ribbon UI would do a good job on explorer too. Sigh, microsoft.

Edited by comedy_guy, 25 March 2008 - 12:22 PM.

#6 SkitchBeatz

SkitchBeatz

New WinMatrixian

• 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:54 AM

I know that microsoft is gonna let these guys who designed the ribbon UI design explorer. They may not put the ribbon in explorer, but then again...

I actually like vista's explorer...a lot.

I'm not sure if or not replacing the current UI with the ribbon UI is a good idea, I do have very huge second thoughts, but I guess we'll have to wait.

I know the only reason M$ is doing this is because the office ribbon UI received very good feedback, and M$ is hoping the guys who designed the ribbon UI would do a good job on explorer too. Sigh, microsoft.

I second that. Vista's explorer has been a solid experience for me (once UAC is disabled)

#7 Bogo

Bogo

Bogdan

• 651 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

the ribbon is more suitable for heavier apps (like microsoft office)

applications like explorer and internet explorer however should keep the interface as simple as possible.

#8 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

applications like explorer and internet explorer however should keep the interface as simple as possible.

i also have the same opinion

#9 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:04 AM

wow.. this sounds very interesting.... thanks much for the ready links.... xploring more.....

Edited by cmkumar2k, 27 March 2008 - 04:05 AM.

#10 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

i also have the same opinion

Posted Image
Posted Image

I sgree, the ribbon UI makes applications look more heavy. Internet explorer, on the other hand, should be kept simple.

Edited by comedy_guy, 27 March 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#11 Preath

Preath

Elite WinMatrixian.

• 2,352 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

hehe, nice concepts of Internet Explorer, i like the final one (the top one), it would'nt be so bad.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!