Patched UxTheme Files for Windows Vista SP1
Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:55 PM
Vista SP2 users click here.
Rafael did it again! For those who can't use the custom visual styles in Windows Vista SP1, download and replace these three system files (uxtheme.dll, shsvcs.dll and themeui.dll).
Patched.UxTheme.Files.for.Windows.Vista.zip | [mirror]
1. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative credentials ready (check under the keyboard for a slip of paper).
2. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32
3. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
4. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
6. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
7. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
9. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
10. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
11. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
12. Copy patched files into %systemroot%\System32
13. Reboot (yes, this is really required)
You can use Take Control or these registry files for taking ownership of system files in Vista.
Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:07 PM
Or edit the shell32.dll yourself with the help of this thread:
How to Move/Show Details Pane At Top in Windows Vista Explorer
Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:12 AM
echo Use this at your own risk! Run in the same dir as your new dlls. if something fails
echo windows will not work. You will have to reinstall windows.
echo Close the dos window to quit or
takeown /F C:\Windows\system32\shsvcs.dll
takeown /F C:\Windows\system32\themeui.dll
takeown /F C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll
cacls C:\Windows\system32\shsvcs.dll /g Administrators:F
cacls C:\Windows\system32\themeui.dll /g Administrators:F
cacls C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll /g Administrators:F
attrib -r -h -a -s C:\Windows\system32\shsvcs.dll
attrib -r -h -a -s C:\Windows\system32\themeui.dll
attrib -r -h -a -s C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll
ren C:\Windows\system32\shsvcs.dll *.bak
ren C:\Windows\system32\themeui.dll *.bak
ren C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll *.bak
copy *.dll C:\Windows\system32\
Edited by betolley, 22 March 2008 - 01:23 AM.