Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Access Skydrive from Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Valistar_*

Guest_Valistar_*

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

Gladinet Cloud Desktop works fine in Win 7. :)

Hi,

Gladinet doesn't work on my Vista SP1 with Skydrive. It always tell me I don't give the good credentials (username/password) while I did (I checked several times)
Have you got the same issue?
I read somewhere that the last version of Skydrive broke the gladinet compatibility, is it the problem I got?
Thank you.
Valistar

#22 Guest_brulaso_*

Guest_brulaso_*

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

Whoever said the gmail drive doesn't work -- it works just fine for me. Installed it about a year ago, no probs.

#23 Guest_Toolski_*

Guest_Toolski_*

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

I'm on Windows 7 RTM and am able to map my SkyDrive persistently via NET USE and a logon script applied via Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
- To get the right URL, you need to access Office Web Apps. Follow the instructions at http://www.mydigital...tion-instantly/
- Open a PowerPoint or Excel web app file in your local Office program on your computer. I'm on Office 2007 Enterprise so don't know if it works with Office 2003 (don't see why it wouldn't though).
- When you click on Save As in the local Office program, you should be able to get the URL that works for mapping SkyDrive as a network drive. My personal URL for my SkyDrive Documents folder is https://jsgqo3.docs....a502/.Documents so yours should be something similar. I haven' tried mapping to SkyDrive's root directory as Documents access is what I need for the time being.
- Use this URL for the native Map network drive function or for the NET USE command. Using the logon script and bat file was the only way I could get my SkyDrive mapped every time at log on. My SkyDrive was not reconnecting when I logged in if I used Windows 7's Map network drive "reconnect at login" check box.
- I have experienced a quirk where, if my SkyDrive is already mapped, I cannot download an Office Web App file to my local Office program because it won't take my credentials. However, I simply use SkyDrive as cloud storage for my local Office apps so it's not a showstopper. Not sure why this is though. Maybe some type of simultaneous access restriction Microsoft has in place?

Hope this helps.

#24 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm on Windows 7 RTM and am able to map my SkyDrive persistently via NET USE and a logon script applied via Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
- To get the right URL, you need to access Office Web Apps. Follow the instructions at http://www.mydigital...tion-instantly/
- Open a PowerPoint or Excel web app file in your local Office program on your computer. I'm on Office 2007 Enterprise so don't know if it works with Office 2003 (don't see why it wouldn't though).
- When you click on Save As in the local Office program, you should be able to get the URL that works for mapping SkyDrive as a network drive. My personal URL for my SkyDrive Documents folder is https://jsgqo3.docs....a502/.Documents so yours should be something similar. I haven' tried mapping to SkyDrive's root directory as Documents access is what I need for the time being.
- Use this URL for the native Map network drive function or for the NET USE command. Using the logon script and bat file was the only way I could get my SkyDrive mapped every time at log on. My SkyDrive was not reconnecting when I logged in if I used Windows 7's Map network drive "reconnect at login" check box.
- I have experienced a quirk where, if my SkyDrive is already mapped, I cannot download an Office Web App file to my local Office program because it won't take my credentials. However, I simply use SkyDrive as cloud storage for my local Office apps so it's not a showstopper. Not sure why this is though. Maybe some type of simultaneous access restriction Microsoft has in place?

Hope this helps.

I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3 and i can get Gladinet to work for mapping the Windows Live SkyDrive and the GMail Drive app works as well, but I'd rather not use Gladinet. I have tried your method, and all is well until step 3. When i go to "Save As..." in my local Microsoft Word, it does give an address, but the address is http://gangstanthony...ffice.live.com/ which is not at all similar to the address you have provided. Also, I have documents already in my SkyDrive, but it appears that this location is an entirely separate storage space and I cannot locate any of my SkyDrive files. I have also tried several addresses from the page that I use to access my SkyDrive, but nothing has worked, and none of the addresses I came across looked quite like yours... Any suggestions?

#25 ethanx

ethanx

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:37 AM

I'm using Gladinet. It creates a mapped drive in my PC and mount my Skydrive accounts. One good thing I can do is to mount all my Skydrive accounts there. And whenever I run out of space, I can apply a new account and mount it. (Hopefully MS doesn't mind :unsure: ). And Skydrive can mount my FTP server too.

What Gladinet is still missing is the ability to mount shared Skydrive folders from my friends. I requested the feature to them. Their support told me it is coming. Hope they can add the function asap. I have lots of pictures shared by my friends in Skydrive and it is really a pain to download them one by one.

#26 pataoengineer

pataoengineer

@pataoengineer

• 1,155 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:42 AM

Are you sure this won't cause PC vulnerable to intruders.
I think digging tunnel connection outside world connection your PC is simply not the good idea.

#27 kAtz93

kAtz93

WinMatrixian

• 107 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

You mean like this ?
Posted Image

http://skydriveexplo...iveExplorer.exe

#28 Borix

Borix

Active WinMatrixian

• 823 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

Why not use dropbox?

#29 Guest_Matt_*

Guest_Matt_*

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

Why not use dropbox?

I've got the icon for 'SkyDrive' up but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't appear to even attempt to connect, and the program doesn't remember it created it now so I can't delete it!

Dropbox looks good though, I'm trying that now.

#30 Guest_dennis_*

Guest_dennis_*

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi!

That Skydrive Explorer works great for me, thanks for the link!
But one question comes in to mind.. Are my logon credentials safe cause this is a 3rd party software?

- Dennis

#31 Guest_Baxter_*

Guest_Baxter_*

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

I found the how-to for setting up and using gladinet. My primary problem was that it was kind of complicated. Here it is incase anyone else is having trouble. http://www.groovypos...ndows-explorer/

#32 Guest_Shareej_*

Guest_Shareej_*

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

There is "SkyDrive Explorer", Please visit My linkhttp://skydriveexplorer.com/

#33 Guest_vg_*

Guest_vg_*

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

This may be just one of my stupid ideas, but is it possible to have one's Windows Live Skydrive show up as a driver in the 'Computer' section of Explorer?

I'm sure I've seen a similar thing with .Mac on Apple computers.

Ohh man. It's not a stupid idea. Yes, you can do it. I searched the net, for the same purpose. Finally, I found this thing called "Galdinet". It's really work for me. Try it. Here da link.

<spam link removed>

#34 Guest_InducedChalice_*

Guest_InducedChalice_*

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi everyone been reading this and while Gladinet works, there is a better trick that needs no aditional software.

Get the SkyDrive url for one of your folders:
http://cid-c8daa1cc3635cc9a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Now change it to this:
https://wb9rpt.docs.live.net/c8daa1cc3635cc9a/.Public

Win7 & Vista (dont know how to do it on XP):

• Go to my computer, right click an empty area and click "Add a network location"
  • Click Next. Click "Choose a custom network location". Click Next again.
  • In the box, paste the url you just created. Click Next.
  • Give the folder a better name e.g. "SkyDrive Files". Click Next again. Then finally click Finish.
Voila! You can copy/move files, make folders just like any folder. And most important you can upload folders using this method. Enjoy! :)

#35 Guest_David_*

Guest_David_*

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

^^
The above method doesn't work for me - after pasting the URL (modified with my string), I get a box asking for my credentials. I tried my.username@live.com and just my.username, both with my live.com password. Neither works.

#36 Guest_InducedChalice_*

Guest_InducedChalice_*

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

^^
The above method doesn't work for me - after pasting the URL (modified with my string), I get a box asking for my credentials. I tried my.username@live.com and just my.username, both with my live.com password. Neither works.

Thats strange. It asks me for my credentials and it worked. Did you check the box marked 'remember my credentials'?
This url seems to work as well:

\\wb9rpt.docs.live.net@SSL\DavWWWRoot\[put your cid here]\[folder name here]

#37 jbouv55151

jbouv55151

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

^^

Thats strange. It asks me for my credentials and it worked. Did you check the box marked 'remember my credentials'?
This url seems to work as well:

\\wb9rpt.docs.live.net@SSL\DavWWWRoot\[put your cid here]\[folder name here]

Hello

I do have the same problem. I have tried with both links, none work.
1. I do the explained method by adding a network storage device with the specific adress
2. When I clicked next, it takes a few time and then it asks login and password.
3. I tip login@msn.com & password and I validate, then it asks login+pass, again & again.

If you have a solution, it would be great because your method is far the most interesting...

#38 Guest_InducedChalice_*

Guest_InducedChalice_*

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

I thought i'd explain how i got SkyDrive to appear in Computer so maybe you can try it out and see if theres something I missed out.

1. Upload a word document to your documents folder. When done, go to the folder that you uploaded to but dont click the file yet.

2. Make sure you're signed up to Office Web Apps beta. See image. I think this might be what was blocking people from accessing the folder.
Posted Image

3. When you done that and signed up for it, go to the uploaded document and you should see a new option called 'View' (see image). Click that.
Posted Image

4. It will open in the Word Web App for viewing. Click 'Open in Word' on the toolbar at the top.

5. When it opens up in Word, enter your credentials and the document should open.

6. Go to File > Save As and wait for the box to appear.

7. You should see the URL in the address bar of the save dialog as seen in the screenshot below. (by the way this is microsoft office 2010, it will look different in 2007 but you should still be able to see the URL).
Posted Image

8. Map it in My Computer as shown in my previous post.

I believe it wasnt working because its integrated with the Office Web Apps which is in beta, if your not signed up for it it may be blocking access to it.

Shorter steps for Office 2010 beta

If you have the beta of Office 2010 installed, theres a shorter way to get it.

1. Make a new document, type some random text into it.

2. Go to File > Share > Save to SkyDrive. Click Sign In.

3. Fill out the login box that comes up and click OK.

4. Your folders will appear so you can click the folder you want to get the URL for. Then click Save As.

5. You will see the URL in the Save As dialog. (See screenshot for step 7 above).

I hope this works for everyone!

#39 Club17

Club17

Xradical

• 90 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

Need to get installed Windows 7 online ID providers to log in automatically everytime you turn on your Windows session and the you can add the new network location.

#40 Guest_Dale_*

Guest_Dale_*

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hi everyone been reading this and while Gladinet works, there is a better trick that needs no aditional software.

Get the SkyDrive url for one of your folders:
http://cid-c8daa1cc3635cc9a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Now change it to this:
https://wb9rpt.docs.live.net/c8daa1cc3635cc9a/.Public

Win7 & Vista (dont know how to do it on XP):

• Go to my computer, right click an empty area and click "Add a network location"
  • Click Next. Click "Choose a custom network location". Click Next again.
  • In the box, paste the url you just created. Click Next.
  • Give the folder a better name e.g. "SkyDrive Files". Click Next again. Then finally click Finish.

Voila! You can copy/move files, make folders just like any folder. And most important you can upload folders using this method. Enjoy! :)

This worked for me on Windows 7. Thanks!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!