18 replies to this topic

#1 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:51 AM

Posted Image

Microsoft is currently developing Windows Mobile 7, the first revolutionary change to its mobile device operating system. It will dramatically change the way we use mobile devices. It will emphasize the use of touch on the device, as well as motion gestures created by using the device. It is, absolutely, Microsoft’s effort to beat back the iPhone.

What’s New

Windows Mobile 7 will use touch gestures, similar to how the iPhone does. You will be able to flick through lists, pan, swipe sideway, draw on the screen.

Windows Mobile 7 will use motion gestures, something the iPhone does not. You will be able to shake, twist and otherwise manipulate the phone and get things done.

Windows Mobile 7 will have dramatically improved visuals, different from the iPhone and much more similar to the dark and futuristic visuals of Windows Vista.

Windows Mobile 7 is designed to use the finger, not the stylus, though many devices will be required to include a stylus. It is designed to be easy to use with the hand, including one-handed, and to be fun to use and easy to understand.

Windows Mobile 7 is clearly designed for better media playback, with screenshots indicating a much-improved Media Player and photo gallery application.

The keyboard has been improved, but plans for a full touch keyboard, a la the iPhone, have been shelved until a future version of Windows Mobile.

Read the detailed notes.

#2 ritesh

ritesh

WinMatrixian

• 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

WOW.... liked the new features and appearance is just wow

#3 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

After going through this post, I can certainly say that Windows 7 phone will surely beat the iPhone, hopefully the second generation of iPhone too.

#4 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

oh look, MS is copying the iPhone.

Nothing new here.

#5 HingVista

HingVista

Super WinMatrixian

• News Poster
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

There were only a few improvements in Windows Mobile 6 in comparison to Windows Mobile 5, but Windows Mobile 7 will definitely blow the minds away with it's features, thanks to iPhone :P

#6 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

Nothing new, but still I'm impressed!

#7 spong

spong

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

It's really embarrassing that they're copying the iPhone this closely. Really really embarrasing for what was once the leader in PDA technology a few years back. Still I guess they're damned if they do, damned if they don't...

#8 TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

GreenMan

• 1,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

I love it. Now I can't wait for the Windows Mobile 7 phone! :woot:

#9 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

Wow, look coool.

#10 Fraxtil

Fraxtil

Junior Software Technician

• 193 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

After going through this post, I can certainly say that Windows 7 phone will surely beat the iPhone, hopefully the second generation of iPhone too.

I absolutely agree. Windows Mobile 7 will be my first phone. :)

#11 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

oh look, MS is copying the iPhone.

Nothing new here.

Exactly what I was thinking!!!

How about WM support for Macs!!!!!!!!!!

Blackberry has support and so does other phones. But when it comes to my HTC Mongul and SMT 5600 Windows Mobile Phones, I get no support :(

So, they can copy what Apple does, but not give it support on Mac Operating Systems.

Microsoft is always behind on everything. By the time, they release Windows Mobile 7 (iPhone Generic), the newest Mobile from Apple will be release or update to the iPhone that will blow it out of the water. I can say WM right now is neck and neck with the iPhone, but by the time WM7 comes out, Apple will be ahead of the game.

#12 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

You guys like to accuse Microsoft a little to much.

Just because the Iphone came out first doesn't mean Microsoft didn't have ideas of this before. I think Microsoft is way under-credited in what they do.

Also saying that Windows 7 Mobile copied the Iphone is really like saying the PS1 copied the SNES. They both used controllers!!! OMG OMG PS1 so copied NES lets f***ing flame sony!!!!

Really guys wtf

#13 winmatrix2007

winmatrix2007

im ready to rock

• 579 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

its the iPhone for the people who cant get the iPhone

#14 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:49 AM

Just because the Iphone came out first doesn't mean Microsoft didn't have ideas of this before. I think Microsoft is way under-credited in what they do.

Also saying that Windows 7 Mobile copied the Iphone is really like saying the PS1 copied the SNES. They both used controllers!!! OMG OMG PS1 so copied NES lets f***ing flame sony!!!!

Really guys wtf

lol! hmmm... come on now. Microsoft has been creating WM for how long? Then after iPhone was released, all a sudden WM gets the multi-touch features like iPhone and Mac Book Air. Come on now :)

Sony Playstation and Nintendo hmm...

The history of the Playstation begins in 1988 when Sony and Nintendo were working together to develop the Super Disc. The Super Disc was going to be a CD-ROM attachment that was intended to be part of Nintendo's soon to be released Super Nintendo game. However, Sony and Nintendo parted ways business-wise and the Super Disc was never introduced or used by Nintendo. In 1991, Sony used a modified version of the Super Disk as part of their new game console - the Sony Playstation. Research and development for the PlayStation had began in 1990, headed by Sony engineer, Ken Kutaragi.

#15 crestind

crestind

New WinMatrixian

• 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:46 AM

It's irritating when every article has somebody screaming "omg m$ is posing off of apple omg".

Edited by crestind, 16 May 2008 - 08:57 PM.

#16 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:57 AM

Really guys wtf

lol! hmmm... come on now. Microsoft has been creating WM for how long? Then after iPhone was released, all a sudden WM gets the multi-touch features like iPhone and Mac Book Air. Come on now :)

The history of the Playstation begins in 1988 when Sony and Nintendo were working together to develop the Super Disc. The Super Disc was going to be a CD-ROM attachment that was intended to be part of Nintendo's soon to be released Super Nintendo game. However, Sony and Nintendo parted ways business-wise and the Super Disc was never introduced or used by Nintendo. In 1991, Sony used a modified version of the Super Disk as part of their new game console - the Sony Playstation. Research and development for the PlayStation had began in 1990, headed by Sony engineer, Ken Kutaragi.

ok ok you got me on the ps1 and snes joke. I could of used some other consoles or product to but thats what came to mind. (hopefullly you guys get my example). Anyways, I can't say for sure M$ didn't copy Apple but I can say that it is very possible that M$ had these kind of ideas. For example Vista became a watered down version of longhorn because M$ Developers thought that not that many people had the hardware to support it.

WM7 didn't just come out today, Im sure there were Prototypes of WM7 before the debut of WM6. The ideas for WM7 could've been thought of before the Iphone was even mentioned to the public world. Still I can't say this for sure but you can't say that M$ absolutely copied Apple either.

@Crestind: Thank You!

I'm just tired of all these Apple fanboys calling everything out on M$. Its like a game for Apple fanboys.

Apple Fanboy: M$ copied Apple! Hah called it first I win.

Edited by punkrockerz, 20 January 2008 - 01:59 AM.

#17 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:59 AM

Really guys wtf

ok ok you got me on the ps1 and snes joke. I could of used some other consoles or product to but thats what came to mind. (hopefullly you guys get my example). Anyways, I can't say for sure M$ didn't copy Apple but I can say that it is very possible that M$ had these kind of ideas. For example Vista became a watered down version of longhorn because M$ Developers thought that not that many people had the hardware to support it.

WM7 didn't just come out today, Im sure there were Prototypes of WM7 before the debut of WM6. The ideas for WM7 could've been thought of before the Iphone was even mentioned to the public world. Still I can't say this for sure but you can't say that M$ absolutely copied Apple either.

I'm just tired of all these Apple fanboys calling everything out on M$. Its like a game for Apple fanboys.

It's not about being a fan boy. I've been on Windows since 95. IBM Ativa was the first PC I've ever had. Of course, Mac was the first laptop I've ever owned(Thanks Dad!). Even at that time, I liked what the Mac offered instead of Windows. I've been using Windows for a very long time. Now, that I've made a brave move to go back to Mac and try it out. I haven't been disappointed. The funny thing about Windows and the 3rd party software companies is that they try to Mimic and improve what Mac brings to the table. LOL! Now even Linux is being targeted for idea theft. Tonight, I went to a friend's house who still is running Vista and I can't tell you how frustrated I was going back to that garbage. Viruses telling me that I need spyware software, Windows app turning a white shade and shutting down, getting permission to run things I want to run, copying files from Hard Disk to External taking forever and more. We are talking about a PC with 64bit AMD with well over 1GB of Ram. I look at Windows and just get bored now.

You can't describe how great a Mac is. You just have to use it to really know. Dashboard to me is one of the most useful features. Also, Adobe, iWork and iLife get all my work done faster than I could on Windows. Office 2008 looks very promising. Will have to see later :)

Overall Mac owns Windows period.

Funny part is that I'm running it on PC and it blows XP and Vista out of the water.

So, on home court and away it reigns.

Right now WM might have a slight upper hand on iPhone, but by the time WM7 comes out, iPhone will be better. LOL! Compare the speeds of IE Mobile and Safari Mobile. Opera really saved WM users lives (THANK YOU!).

I ain't saying WM SUCKS because I own two of them and blackberries (Which I think blackberries are better), but I want to see something from Microsoft that doesn't have other phone users or people saying it's NEW features are just STRAIGHT copies from another phone. One feature I did see that Bill Gates presented that I did like was Building and Location ID.

Edited by yanike, 20 January 2008 - 07:03 AM.

#18 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

Really guys wtf

It's not about being a fan boy. I've been on Windows since 95. IBM Ativa was the first PC I've ever had. Of course, Mac was the first laptop I've ever owned(Thanks Dad!). Even at that time, I liked what the Mac offered instead of Windows. I've been using Windows for a very long time. Now, that I've made a brave move to go back to Mac and try it out. I haven't been disappointed. The funny thing about Windows and the 3rd party software companies is that they try to Mimic and improve what Mac brings to the table. LOL! Now even Linux is being targeted for idea theft. Tonight, I went to a friend's house who still is running Vista and I can't tell you how frustrated I was going back to that garbage. Viruses telling me that I need spyware software, Windows app turning a white shade and shutting down, getting permission to run things I want to run, copying files from Hard Disk to External taking forever and more. We are talking about a PC with 64bit AMD with well over 1GB of Ram. I look at Windows and just get bored now.

You can't describe how great a Mac is. You just have to use it to really know. Dashboard to me is one of the most useful features. Also, Adobe, iWork and iLife get all my work done faster than I could on Windows. Office 2008 looks very promising. Will have to see later :)

Funny part is that I'm running it on PC and it blows XP and Vista out of the water.

Right now WM might have a slight upper hand on iPhone, but by the time WM7 comes out, iPhone will be better. LOL! Compare the speeds of IE Mobile and Safari Mobile. Opera really saved WM users lives (THANK YOU!).

Cool, I understand you're not a fanboy but i was just talking about fanboys in general flaming M$ every second which gets really annoying.

I've used macs and they're great but I like Windows more. But that's my personal opinion. Also i've never had those kinda problems with vista (even when i ran it on 512mb :P ).

"Right now WM might have a slight upper hand on iPhone, but by the time WM7 comes out, iPhone will be better. LOL! Compare the speeds of IE Mobile and Safari Mobile. Opera really saved WM users lives (THANK YOU!)." lol but when you think about it WM8 will have the upperhand on the iphone2.0 lol.

#19 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

Really guys wtf

Cool, I understand you're not a fanboy but i was just talking about fanboys in general flaming M$ every second which gets really annoying.

I've used macs and they're great but I like Windows more. But that's my personal opinion. Also i've never had those kinda problems with vista (even when i ran it on 512mb :P ).

"Right now WM might have a slight upper hand on iPhone, but by the time WM7 comes out, iPhone will be better. LOL! Compare the speeds of IE Mobile and Safari Mobile. Opera really saved WM users lives (THANK YOU!)." lol but when you think about it WM8 will have the upperhand on the iphone2.0 lol.

lol exactly. That's Microsoft business strategy from day one. Make something great and we'll make it better.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!