Who’s choosing XP over Vista?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

I love XP, I don't need any of those fancy transitions or transparencies.
Bare-bone works for me.

#22 Balo

Balo

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

wow Ilike Vista so I use it
I like XP so I use it
Ilike Ubuntu so I use it
what so big deal,like a OS use it :devil:

#23 L2231m

L2231m

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

ok,performance of Vista's new 3d graphics engine, DirectX10, would be unacceptable to many gamers: when benchmarking Vista with the first major DirectX 10 game, Crysis, PC user australia (magazine) they found it was up to 50% slower than XP (that's the FACT!)

#24 Island Dog

Island Dog

Active WinMatrixian

• 675 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

I removed XP from all my main machines some time ago, and haven't regretted it.

If I do need to access XP for something, I keep a VM with Parallels.

:)

#25 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Yes, it is like as if MS tried to make a Noob friendly OS, but in doing so, they took away all of the "My" Folders (not a noob friendly thing to do) and they mad it is if the whole OS is just not suited to normal PC people.

I have several "Power User" friends that hate it with a glaring passion, because they cant do anything with it...

Vista is an Oxymoron in it's self.

They tried to play "Keep Up" With Apple and Compiz Fusion, and the only way they could manage it was to recommend 1GB of Ram.

Microsoft, you have Failed Miserably on this one. Windows 7 had better be exceedingly great, or i think that your going to lose even more of the Desktop PC %.

I think that the next machine that I get will be a Mac, that way i can run OS X and Linux on it, and if i need a Windows app, well, there is Wine , Codeweavers and Parallels to call upon.

MS Is the Old OS now, no doubt about it.

#26 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

Taken from OSNews...

"Windows Vista didn't make a smooth market entrance; in fact, nearly every aspect of the operating system has been attacked since its release on January 30, 2007. Multiple SKUs allegedly confused customers, anti-DRM groups disliked Vista's Protected Video Path and its overall DRM friendliness, and Microsoft's definition of 'Vista Capable' got the company sued. Toss in a plethora of bugs and the usual consumer backlash over GUI changes, and you'd think consumers would be avoiding Vista in droves. According to new information, however, they aren't - Vista's adoption rate over the past year actually exceeded XP's in 2001, and consumers apparently choose Vista over XP by a 7:1 margin."

Wow, people really Will buy anything in pretty packaging.

#27 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:40 AM

Taken from OSNews...

"Windows Vista didn't make a smooth market entrance; in fact, nearly every aspect of the operating system has been attacked since its release on January 30, 2007. Multiple SKUs allegedly confused customers, anti-DRM groups disliked Vista's Protected Video Path and its overall DRM friendliness, and Microsoft's definition of 'Vista Capable' got the company sued. Toss in a plethora of bugs and the usual consumer backlash over GUI changes, and you'd think consumers would be avoiding Vista in droves. According to new information, however, they aren't - Vista's adoption rate over the past year actually exceeded XP's in 2001, and consumers apparently choose Vista over XP by a 7:1 margin."

Wow, people really Will buy anything in pretty packaging.

If there's one thing that Microsoft did right, its the marketting. The pre-vista and the vista-release was hyped up to an incredible amount. Vista marked the biggest product launch campaign by MS- they had live hollywood/oscars type shows in many countries, what with all the movie stars endorsing Vista and all. It's pretty obvious that the common man would fall for all these gimmicks. In these tech circles, we may feel that the real highlights and drawbacks of Vista are quite obvious, but lets face it - compared to the rest of the world, we are a minority.

I personally would love to see the Vista adoption stats among tech circles. I know Vista v/s XP polls were conducted in almost every tech community, but what would be interesting if someone could pool all of them together to get a realistic figure.

#28 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

I wont dare deny that!
I mean, i remember back when 95 had the 'Stones song in the comercial, and all electronics employees had square buttons with the "Start" button on it...

i wonder if i still have mine somewhere?

---
NT and ME were siblings who married to produce XP. It doesn't help any that NT's father, 95, produced NT via a union with his daughter, 98. XP then killed NT and had a child with ME. He later gouged his GUI out. The end result of all this is Vista. And you guys wonder why Vista has security issues? Poor guy must have complex on top of complex, not to mention more than a few birth defects.

#29 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

Haha I would love to see that if you can find it (take a photo!).

#30 Drake

Drake

Drake

• 228 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

As i speak right now i am installing xp on my laptop...came with vista and i find its not all that great....XP ALL THE WAY

#31 moschino

moschino

unknown

• 82 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

depends for what we want to use this Windows.
most ppl who has nothing in common with PC's, they will always chose Vista,... why ???, because it looks great and it's trendy to have the latest version of Windows.
a Gamer will chose Vista because of DX10 and the whole appearance who just hypnotize.
the most stupid thing in Vista is that this Windows is not customizable, and i'm not talking just about Skin.
after i have Vista if i install any other OS, i lost My Documents and the stupid part is that i must format the HDD partition cause it's impossible to delete the files.
Vista is the perfect Windows for typical ppl who knows just to open the start bar and to play solitare.
a guy who wants to transform his Windows into a plane, into a rocket, into anything he wants, he will never chose Vista.
atm i have XP and to answer to topic question, forever i will chose any other OS instead of Vista.
Vista is the shame of Microsoft.
let's don't forget about Windows 2000, these days this is a bit "down to date", but if we know how to customize it, we can make it a very good and stable OS.
i had all versions of Windows and as i said, every Windows is good for something, depends what we expect from it.
i'm curious what Windows 7 will offer to us.

#32 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

depends for what we want to use this Windows.
most ppl who has nothing in common with PC's, they will always chose Vista,... why ???, because it looks great and it's trendy to have the latest version of Windows.
a Gamer will chose Vista because of DX10 and the whole appearance who just hypnotize.
the most stupid thing in Vista is that this Windows is not customizable, and i'm not talking just about Skin.
after i have Vista if i install any other OS, i lost My Documents and the stupid part is that i must format the HDD partition cause it's impossible to delete the files.
Vista is the perfect Windows for typical ppl who knows just to open the start bar and to play solitare.
a guy who wants to transform his Windows into a plane, into a rocket, into anything he wants, he will never chose Vista.
atm i have XP and to answer to topic question, forever i will chose any other OS instead of Vista.
Vista is the shame of Microsoft.
let's don't forget about Windows 2000, these days this is a bit "down to date", but if we know how to customize it, we can make it a very good and stable OS.
i had all versions of Windows and as i said, every Windows is good for something, depends what we expect from it.
i'm curious what Windows 7 will offer to us.

interesting point of view buddy, many people is starting to see the truth

bye

#33 jedi52

jedi52

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

I'm gonna laugh when Kaironxp figures out that Vista isn't really that bad...

Anyway, on my gaming machine I use XP, but on my laptop, which I do work on, I use vista. It looks good, it runs well if you have enough RAM, and we can customize it, if not to the extent that we can with 2000/XP.

#34 Kev_B

Kev_B

New WinMatrixian

• 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:33 AM

I had Vista and liked it for its appearance, but that's all I liked about it. The GUI itself took to much memory to run and took forever to boot. XP screams with my hardware and its what I've been used to for years. I'm just not ready to leave yet. XP has become a friend and I don't wanna leave it for Vista...maybe Vienna will do it for me, but who knows.

#35 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:06 AM

I use both, but I prefer XP more.

#36 lowrider

lowrider

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

250 million PCs sold last year, out of that 100 million had Vista licenses, that's horrible. Out of those Vista licenses sold you have to factor in who downgraded to XP or installed some other OS. I worked for a fairly large company as a tech and most(i'd say 90%) of our business and consumer machines that we built had XP installed on them because the customer wanted it. Out of the pre-built machines we sold, won't say which brands, that had Vista already installed i'd say about 60% of them were downgraded to XP as per customer request...either at the time they purchased the computer or after they ran Vista for a bit. Vista in my opinion is a failure.

Oh and the whole deal about UAC being a effective security tool I call BS to that also. We had many Vista machines come in that were destroyed by malware. UAC just offers more prompts for the average user to click yes to...yes..yes..yes..yes. Comes down to safe computing practices and no OS will protect the idiot user.

Edited by lowrider, 14 March 2008 - 11:52 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!