• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:30 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

One of the most accepted bits of conventional wisdom among pundits as 2007 draws to a close is that the marketplace has rejected Windows Vista in favor of Windows XP. The biggest piece of evidence is Dell’s decision in April 2007, based on a vocal response via its Dell IdeaStorm page, to continue offering Windows XP as an option on some consumer systems. It picked up steam with Microsoft’s announcement in September that it was going to allow its large OEM partners to preinstall Windows XP until June 30, 2008, a five-month extension over the original January 30 cutoff date. (A CNET News report from last April indicates that HP and Lenovo have adopted similar strategies, offering XP as an option on business-class machines but for consumer products.)

Both of those moves got a lot of press, but proof about how either decision has actually played out in the marketplace is, unfortunately, pretty thin. Microsoft doesn’t break out its mix of Windows shipments with this level of detail. OEM computer makers are tight-lipped as well. And if any third-party market research firms have done any studies on this subject, they have yet to publish the results.

But I stumbled on an unexpected source of data that has helped me get a much better picture on what the actual numbers might be like. As it turns out, Dell has published a large database of information about its current inventory for anyone to see, and I was able to sift through it to form some surprising conclusions about the current relationship between XP and Vista in the PC marketplace. The short version: Consumers have embraced Vista overwhelmingly, whereas small business is much more reluctant, preferring XP by a better than 2-to-1 margin.

Full story on Zdnet

#2 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:06 AM

I use XP, mainly for the fact that my Pc is older than dust itself.

but, once my new PC gets here in about 2 weeks, i may switch, once SP1 for Vista is released.

mabey.

#3 orcus

orcus

Active WinMatrixian

• 714 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

The company I work for has not moved to Vista not because we like XP better but some of our software is not compatible yet. Once our vendors upgrade their software to work with Vista we will move over. I have been using Vista for a long time and I never had any problems. The complains I hear is from people that are used to do things one way and do not like changes or they have obsolete systems and peripherals. I hope 2009 comes soon so support for XP is over and we can stop talking about this..

Edited by orcus, 04 January 2008 - 04:09 PM.

#4 moonboy

moonboy

New WinMatrixian

• 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

i dont really think cosumers prefer vista...you just dont really have choice most places when you buy a new computer...

#5 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

you just dont really have choice most places when you buy a new computer...

Basic computer users don't really care about the windows version they are using
aslong as they can write there letter read there email and browse the web.

Microsoft made sure they can do both with every windows version.
but that's a whole different story... ;)

#6 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

but peopl will still talk and say that XP is / was /wil never be / is wonderful / etc... to Vista.

it is just an line of thought, a baised thought.

i personally, believe that while Vista is indeed Graphically Beautiful, is sucks ass compared to XP's compatability.

and they BOTH such compared to Linux, and it's Cousin of Unix Apple.

so it is just that, and it sort of does not even matter. it is your thought. not everyone will agree, so who cares?

#7 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

smart people know that Vista suck!!!

moron consumer uses Vista because they are forced to used that operating system with any new computer.

#8 xaznx2345

xaznx2345

WinMatrixian

• 136 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:09 AM

wow...have you been reading any of the news with vista? they aren't forced, they have the choice to go to xp if they want, but theyll lose the advantage that vista has with the new quad cores/etc. read up on it.

#9 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

wow...have you been reading any of the news with vista? they aren't forced, they have the choice to go to xp if they want, but theyll lose the advantage that vista has with the new quad cores/etc. read up on it.

No!!! i wanna buy a new laptop but all are with Vista :cry: i dont know what to do now ;) i dont wanna use Windows (ugly) Vista

#10 L2231m

L2231m

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:32 AM

i'v been using vista quite a while but then i switch back to xp. The reason is:
a) Compatible most drivers and softwares.
B) Less requirement
c) Dont use too much memory (especially when playing latest game. u might have to upgrade to your PC to 3-4 sticks of 1GB ram
d) Faster.
e) I dont think there's much differ between XP and Vista. Vista more to effects and visual style. Yet you can use program nowadays to change your visual styles for XP exactly the same as vista and its effects plus use less computer req.
f) Vista use too many Restriction even thou you set your account as Admin.
g) Vista won't let you browse Temporary Internet Files in C drive. un less from IE, but you can't see all of em.
Maybe another 5 years i might fully use Vista. But for now.. i stick to XP

#11 Jerzee

Jerzee

New WinMatrixian

• 25 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:18 AM

I'll probably keep using xp till windows seven comes out.I've jumped back and forth a few times and I've concluded XP has better performance for my needs.

#12 zahmad

zahmad

zahmad

• 383 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:35 AM

XP it is for me :)

#13 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

Windows 7 for me! Hopefully, MS won't make the same mistake twice.

Till then, I'll be surviving on FreeDOS and Puppy Linux. And the occasional XP.

#14 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

Windows 7 for me! Hopefully, MS won't make the same mistake twice.

Till then, I'll be surviving on FreeDOS and Puppy Linux. And the occasional XP.

ha! first wait for windows 7 after that we could said if it better than XP and Vista :D

#15 gon1387

gon1387

WinMatrixian

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

Compatibility issue really is getting grave with vista here.

Anyway, I would prefer XP over vista when it comes to stability and security. but if I bought a new pc I would go on vista. I would stick with it till windows 7 is stable and Microsoft won't do the same mistake with vista again. And I won't use xp cause my new hardware might not be compatible. :D :D :D

I would used xp too because of the same reason with L2231m.
except for browsing temporary internet files...it's found here in vista

C:\Users\("account your name")\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

i'v been using vista quite a while but then i switch back to xp. The reason is:
a) Compatible most drivers and softwares.
B) Less requirement
c) Dont use too much memory (especially when playing latest game. u might have to upgrade to your PC to 3-4 sticks of 1GB ram
d) Faster.
e) I dont think there's much differ between XP and Vista. Vista more to effects and visual style. Yet you can use program nowadays to change your visual styles for XP exactly the same as vista and its effects plus use less computer req.
f) Vista use too many Restriction even thou you set your account as Admin.
g) Vista won't let you browse Temporary Internet Files in C drive. un less from IE, but you can't see all of em.
Maybe another 5 years i might fully use Vista. But for now.. i stick to XP

#16 Villain

Villain

An Old Geek

• Global Moderator
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:15 AM

Glad to see that I am not the only one.
Vista is just an over bloated OS that MS hacked together after one previous failed attempt (Longhorn).

I mean, hell, they had to stop developing the original Longhorn and swap code base to that of Server 2003 to even get it working right.

It is almost like as if Vista is the bastard child of Window ME and Server 2003, with some Window Blinds Effects and touch ups added in just to cover up the glaring ugliness of it.

Sorry, for me it is Linux and XP.

And hell, I know how to run my Windows games on Linux, so i dont even need Windows any more...

#17 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

Though Vista is a failed attemp of Longhorn, even then it is far better than XP. ^_^

#18 Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy

Drake

• 1,212 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

I still have XP on dual boot, but I like Vista better. It's more stable than XP.

#19 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

Though Vista is a failed attemp of Longhorn, even then it is far better than XP. ^_^

far better than XP, my God just a kid can said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back to school an learn more about computer !!!!!!!!!!!! little boy :woot:

Glad to see that I am not the only one.
Vista is just an over bloated OS that MS hacked together after one previous failed attempt (Longhorn).

I mean, hell, they had to stop developing the original Longhorn and swap code base to that of Server 2003 to even get it working right.

It is almost like as if Vista is the bastard child of Window ME and Server 2003, with some Window Blinds Effects and touch ups added in just to cover up the glaring ugliness of it.[color=#FF0000]

Sorry, for me it is Linux and XP.

And hell, I know how to run my Windows games on Linux, so i dont even need Windows any more...

That's the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle: Microsoft was building an operating system for stupid user or dummy people, ugly as hell :devil:

#20 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

back to school an learn more about computer !!!!!!!!!!!! little boy

@kaironxp I respect people's freedom of speech, and expect the same from others. :huh:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!