Mac OSX Leopard 10.5 on PC

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#81 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

That looks interesting to see Ubuntu finally be Ubuntu and not just recoloured Clearlooks.

True True, Gutsy Gibbon did the trick for me, I had all types of problems with Fiesty Fawn.

New things of interest to me is the LTS, and the Vinagre VNC will come default, I dunno bout yall but RealVNC is the bomb for windows. Even then, I plan on Selling my Vaio gibbon and Latitude leopard, because I dont need 3 laptops. I may end up dual booting the laptop I have for gutsy and vista.

I just gripped me a 160gb sata drive that I'll use and an external for the laptop for a coupla months, then I'll put it in my desktop and reformat to boot osx with. EasyBCD makes it damn easy in vista to create your own grub. In XP the process is tricky. Vista x64 FTW

Edited by QuashPhillips, 28 February 2008 - 02:19 PM.

#82 andromeda

andromeda

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi ..yes cool well done, i had some practial problems on doing this myself , drive formatting..processor etc.. you should write a how-to guide on how you did this might be handy to know.

#83 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

:P

I'm back on Mac :D

I couldn't suffer with Windows any longer.

I was with it for a couple of days and started to realize all the things I was missing.

Also, my friend got his 24 iMac the one over $2000.00 and I could take it anymore!!!!

So, now I'm back on Mac :)

Oh Yeah! That iATKOS Leopard sucks major a$$ It almost screwed up my PC. I couldn't get past the registration after the install. It just kept freezing and starting over. So, I put in Kalyway's Leopard and BAM!!! I'm back on Leopard and had everything installed back again in less than 2 hours!!!

GO MAC :)

Linux I still love ya

Edited by yanike, 29 February 2008 - 01:54 PM.

#84 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

@ yanike What about your dreamweaver issue with the flash?
@andromeda, what are your problems, my install was practically plug in play, what system are you running, because every system installs slightly differently

#85 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:57 PM

@ yanike What about your dreamweaver issue with the flash?

I think I can handle it. See I was building in iWeb and then decided to convert over to dreamweaver. Mistake in my part. I'm just going to build in dreamweaver for now on when it comes to advanced sites and use iWeb for the basic sites.

I feel kind of stupid for uninstalling my leopard because I forgot to back up a few things (Including the sites).

No biggie though. I can easily recreate all of them in a day or so. Plus! make them better :)

#86 Darthyoda3

Darthyoda3

ThƎ Unknown

• 260 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

why did u uninstall your leopard?

Edited by Darthyoda3, 29 February 2008 - 11:58 PM.

#87 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

why did u uninstall your leopard?

I had to see how things looked on IE. I should've made the sites in dreamweaver that need flash and not in iWeb. I'm still thinking about going back to Vista on this computer. Not that I hate Leopard or anything, but I can't use every feature like the real version. I really wish bootcamp worked on here.

I'm gonna try to dual boot again to see if I can get it working.

#88 Darthyoda3

Darthyoda3

ThƎ Unknown

• 260 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:39 AM

what features of leopard dont work?

#89 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

Here is what I plan on doing:

Ive got 3 hard drives, one boots vista, and the other two are for my stuff. I just picked up a fourth hd in which I will set to be the master hd and my booting drive my slave. I'll format osx on this clean drive and get everything that I need working.

I'll then set my booting vista drive as master and the osx drive as slave. I'll install EasyBCD 1.7 on this drive and set up my grub. I think this will work. In fact, Im going to try it right now, I thought i was driving to chicago tonite, but it didnt work out.

I'll post how it goes in a few hours

Oh yeah, I sold my osx latitude for 500 on craigslist LOL. profit: 200

Edited by QuashPhillips, 01 March 2008 - 01:23 AM.

#90 Darthyoda3

Darthyoda3

ThƎ Unknown

• 260 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:31 AM

lol nice sale

#91 JohnnyV1500

JohnnyV1500

Active WinMatrixian

• 487 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

haha ok i just screwed up major NVMM

Edited by JohnnyV1500, 02 March 2008 - 02:08 PM.

#92 graeme

graeme

WinMatrixian

• 126 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

anyone have a reliable download source?? (pm me)

#93 duke4e

duke4e

New WinMatrixian

• 43 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

From my personal expirience:

If you plan to install OSX on "normal PC", make a BACKUP of your hard drives.

In my case, all data on HDD was lost. Thanks a lot apple!

#94 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

From my personal experience:

Well, you can't really blame apple because that was an user error not their's.

You always want to create a FAT32 backup partition to keep important files on. When attempting to move from OS to OS. Because FAT32 is read with everything and you can always access it when you need it. I also recommend keeping a Ubuntu 7.10 disc around somewhere to be able to fix things with their Live OS if you screw up and also be able to fix partitions with their partitioner.

Edited by yanike, 04 March 2008 - 07:33 AM.

#95 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Jeez, are we dealing with total noobs, and then you blame apple for your really stupid mistake. I mean you should have gotten a clue when you clicked on your hard drive which said that your entire HD capacity was available. Yanike wrote a pretty good guide, Create your partitions in vista or with the ubuntu live cd. Hell even gparted/partition magic will do the trick. These partitions will show up in disc utility.

We cant post up torrents here, but look for Kalyway if you are on intel, and look for iAtkos if you are on AMD, if you run into problems get both of them. Its just a dvd. And be sure in the customize part that you choose ONE of everything. If you have dual core your pc is sse3. If you have a p4 or non dual core your pc is sse2, so you need to check that.

If something doesnt work, go back and choose a different setup in customize. If you get a kernel panic, boot in verbose mode ( -v) to see whats going on. If you have tried and failed in every aspect, just give up, your comp aint up to spec, or search the insanely mac forums

As an update, I havent had time to install osx on my desktop Leaving for chicago today

Edited by QuashPhillips, 03 March 2008 - 02:37 PM.

#96 pusherpixel

pusherpixel

New WinMatrixian

• 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

LOL, "thanks a lot Apple".

Do you even understand that Apple has nothing to do with it ? You have to understand two things:

1.) you are not supposed to install OS X on PC machines. Like it or not, it is illegal. Read Apple's policy on this one. Not saying that's good, just saying it is as it is.

2.) you should know that installing another OS, especially one that uses completely different format, will erase everything that was previously installed on your HD. What did you expect ? Don't tell us you even expected that you will see your old files and be able to run some Windows applications on OS X? LOLx10000

Edited by pusherpixel, 03 March 2008 - 03:12 PM.

#97 PRATOSH

PRATOSH

WINMATRIX DEVELOPER.

• 563 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:38 AM

many people blame apple.why o why?apple created the os for ease not for you ok.you are a complete newbie.if you cant install macos x dont blame us.its your fault.go and buy a mac thats the best way for you or go and buy a new dell pc which i have.mac os x rocks and vista and xp doesnt even cum close to it.no viruses,the best audio player,the best movie editior and yoh spotlight.APPLE IS THE KING AND WITH ITS NEW OS X IT WILL SLOWLY BUT SURELY EAT UP INTO THE MICROSOFT DOMININCE.cmon BILL GATES stop saving the world and first save your dam company.

many people blame apple.why o why?apple created the os for ease not for you ok.you are a complete newbie.if you cant install macos x dont blame us.its your fault.go and buy a mac thats the best way for you or go and buy a new dell pc which i have.mac os x rocks and vista and xp doesnt even cum close to it.no viruses,the best audio player,the best movie editior and yoh spotlight.APPLE IS THE KING AND WITH ITS NEW OS X IT WILL SLOWLY BUT SURELY EAT UP INTO THE MICROSOFT DOMINANCE.cmon BILL GATES stop saving the world and first save your dam company FROM STEVE JOBS.

#98 duke4e

duke4e

New WinMatrixian

• 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

First of all, I'm not noob. I've been playing with computers since C64.
I know how to install multiple OSes on pc.

I've readed and followed tutorial for installing OSX on seperate partition, but when installer scanned the empty partition and asked me if i want to convert it to OSX filesistem, and I've clicked ok, the whoule disk crashed.

So, "thanks Apple" is really a "thanks Apple" and not a PEBKAC

#99 pusherpixel

pusherpixel

New WinMatrixian

• 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

First of all, I'm not noob. I've been playing with computers since C64.
I know how to install multiple OSes on pc.

I've readed and followed tutorial for installing OSX on seperate partition, but when installer scanned the empty partition and asked me if i want to convert it to OSX filesistem, and I've clicked ok, the whoule disk crashed.

So, "thanks Apple" is really a "thanks Apple" and not a PEBKAC

You simply can't get the point. It has nothing to do with Apple. Apple OS X is meant to be installed on Apple hardware. Read the policy if you can't understand that. Installing OS X on PC machines is (whether you like it or not) illegal. Apple never gave any guarantees it will work if you try installing it on PC.

BTW, there is a load of other users who installed OS X on their PCs without a single glitch, so it must be you... not the Apple.

#100 duke4e

duke4e

New WinMatrixian

• 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

Ok, I don't get it guys. You treat me as I'm retard.

I know that OSX isn't designed for normal PCs and I know that it's illegal, I'm not a moron. I just said that I had bad expirience with installing OSX on my PC and that problem was in installer, not me. I've probably downloaded a badly hacked version of OSX, cause as I've mentioned before, the kind of error that happened during partition convertion shouldn't happen.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!