Mac OSX Leopard 10.5 on PC

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#61 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

At least you tried tho, great job, I still have to try out the kalyway on my desktop, I want to get a fourth hard drive for that tho. The D600 gets slow at times. Needa get my camera out so I can take a pic

Edited by QuashPhillips, 24 February 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#62 pauldacheez

pauldacheez

Derp.

• 305 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

Well, that's just $#!% having to go back to WinDOS. Also, don't get the iMac with only a GMA 950 and a 1.83 GHz Core Duo, get the 2 GHz Core 2 Duo model with an ATi Radeon X1600. I have one of those and it's (almost) better than my MacBook with a 2.2 GHz C2D and a GMA X3100.

#63 Silare Alvreon

Silare Alvreon

WinMatrixian

• 85 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

Well, if it worked perfectly with Kalyway... Installation shouldn't be too huge a hassle.

Although I was going to recommend getting VMWare Fusion or so so that you could continue to run things in the background. Or at least Parallels for Mac. You could virtualize things, or dual-boot with Linux and then from there have WINE do your work by getting Windows applications on WINE. Or you could try the Mac's Darwine, given that your Mac is at full functionality (possibly vanilla kernel even).

Edited by Silare Alvreon, 24 February 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#64 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

I put the iso file on a dvd I reboot it loads of the disc and it goes to darwin/x86 the line keeps spinning for about 3 min then it just reboots every time... what should I do?

Shouldn't a menu a come up before the darwin/x86?

Edited by Freka, 25 February 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#65 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:29 PM

I put the iso file on a dvd I reboot it loads of the disc and it goes to darwin/x86 the line keeps spinning for about 3 min then it just reboots every time... what should I do?

You should be able to hit "F8" and then enter in "cpus=1" with out the quotations and press enter. This should come up before the Darwin screen. It should save press any key to install or press "F8" for command mode or something first. If nothing else works on the net or at insanelymac.com, then your hardware doesn't work with Hacintosh.

#66 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

You should be able to hit "F8" and then enter in "cpus=1" with out the quotations and press enter. This should come up before the Darwin screen. It should save press any key to install or press "F8" for command mode or something first. If nothing else works on the net or at insanelymac.com, then your hardware doesn't work with Hacintosh.

I tried that and I also tried "-v -x -y cpus=1" it kept booting after lots of logs being loaded up... going to search on the internet for more info...

#67 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

Why does it panic when you are in the verbose mode?

#68 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

I don't know, I searched the internet and I can't find anything... please anybody that has any info please help me...
But one question the file that i downloaded came with two iso images one was 4.5gb and the other was real small... I only put the kalyway 4.5gb one on the dvd... did I do that right?

#69 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

huh?? what program did you use to burn the image? Some people have been saying to burn at 8x. Two iso images? are they both Kalyway iso's? My Kalyway is 4.37 GB, my torrent was called \KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3

I burned with Magic Iso. What kind of Vaio have you got, and I'll help poke around for ya on the forums

#70 Darthyoda3

Darthyoda3

ThƎ Unknown

• 260 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

yanike, exactly what kind of compaq do you have? what model and series

#71 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

huh?? what program did you use to burn the image? Some people have been saying to burn at 8x. Two iso images? are they both Kalyway iso's? My Kalyway is 4.37 GB, my torrent was called \KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3

I burned with Magic Iso. What kind of Vaio have you got, and I'll help poke around for ya on the forums

Yup thats the size for mine too.

Sony Vaio System
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 ghz
512 mb ram
80gb hd
Motherboard Asus P4S266-VX

I burned it with MagicISO also...

Edited by Freka, 26 February 2008 - 12:14 AM.

#72 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:12 AM

yanike, exactly what kind of compaq do you have? what model and series

Compaq Presario SR5250NX with an Envision flat 19" monitor.

#73 Darthyoda3

Darthyoda3

ThƎ Unknown

• 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:39 AM

danggit i have a SR5350F, i always get antzy when i partition because the HD always seems to shoot it self (reformate) for no reason when i partition it....

do u know why it would ever do that?

Edited by Darthyoda3, 26 February 2008 - 02:40 AM.

#74 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:36 AM

danggit i have a SR5350F, i always get antzy when i partition because the HD always seems to shoot it self (reformate) for no reason when i partition it....

do u know why it would ever do that?

Hmm... no clue why it would do that.

Question, how do you partition your drives? With what program? I only use Ubuntu to do the partitioning. It seems like Partitioning programs made on Windows will completely screw your computer if you slip up somewhere.

#75 Darthyoda3

Darthyoda3

ThƎ Unknown

• 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:55 AM

i would usally use acronisbut i think ill use the one built in with windows now, it doesnt happen all the time but most of the time, i havent tryed it on this computer yet cuz i just got this one a little over a month ago but i really want mandriva or mac on here for when i dont want to use vista... :unsure:

would defragmenting help since it pushes all the data to the end of the partition instead of it being scattered everywere?

Edited by Darthyoda3, 26 February 2008 - 06:05 AM.

#76 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

i would usally use acronisbut i think ill use the one built in with windows now, it doesnt happen all the time but most of the time, i havent tryed it on this computer yet cuz i just got this one a little over a month ago but i really want mandriva or mac on here for when i dont want to use vista... :unsure:

would defragmenting help since it pushes all the data to the end of the partition instead of it being scattered everywere?

don't know. To tell the truth, I stop defragmenting a long time ago. Unless, Windows does it when I sleep, I never run it. Also, I'm looking at the new Ubuntu 8 for my PC right now. I might put that back on here and run Windows as a Virtual like I did on my Dell that fried.

Also, I have something in the works right now for Linux and PC lovers :)

#77 QuashPhillips

QuashPhillips

WinMatrixian

• 173 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:56 AM

vista is the shit, no compaints about vista from me. Just use the stock defragger that comes with vista, I defrag every week, with a fresh reformat every 6 months. Defragging will help your computer run faster

Because your computer is operated on RAM random access memory, it just put things in random places when you access them. Actually in vista it has the badass feature of telling you exactly what fragments are in what places.

XP doesnt do that, so you dont know whats where, or even if it had aligned the fragments properly. If you havent defragged your comp in a long time, defrag overnight, it may take a long time

#78 Silare Alvreon

Silare Alvreon

WinMatrixian

• 85 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:29 AM

@Yanike: Any reason you happen to be looking forward to Hardy Heron before it's out? Or do you plan on getting it upon release as opposed to these pre-releases?

#79 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:30 AM

@Yanike: Any reason you happen to be looking forward to Hardy Heron before it's out? Or do you plan on getting it upon release as opposed to these pre-releases?

I've always been a fan of Ubuntu since Sendo introduced it to me. I had a feeling I would end up back at it when I used Mac. I didn't expect Mac to run as great as it did though. Plus! It's something I need to create what I'm planning. Don't want to speak to soon though.

If you was wondering about my browser Domicile, I'm planning to port it to Linux. Yes, there is a premature version of it for Windows, but I'm not going to release it. Some ideas I want left secret until it's final release. I know I had some waiting on it, believe me I loved using it myself during development, but I had to make the decision to move it to Linux for my latest project.

I love Ubuntu 8 because it supports flat screen monitors with 1440 x 900 resolution right out the box. I can't wait to see whatelse I can do ;)

#80 Silare Alvreon

Silare Alvreon

WinMatrixian

• 85 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:53 AM

I've always been a fan of Ubuntu since Sendo introduced it to me. I had a feeling I would end up back at it when I used Mac. I didn't expect Mac to run as great as it did though. Plus! It's something I need to create what I'm planning. Don't want to speak to soon though.

If you was wondering about my browser Domicile, I'm planning to port it to Linux. Yes, there is a premature version of it for Windows, but I'm not going to release it. Some ideas I want left secret until it's final release. I know I had some waiting on it, believe me I loved using it myself during development, but I had to make the decision to move it to Linux for my latest project.

I love Ubuntu 8 because it supports flat screen monitors with 1440 x 900 resolution right out the box. I can't wait to see whatelse I can do ;)

Ahh. That's why. Ubuntu runs quite well, and extremely so for a free OS.

Domicile? Wow... So it's not dead yet? Sweet. I haven't heard about Domicile for quite a long time.

1440 x 900? Like, desktop monitors? Because this laptop monitor runs 1440 x 900 out of the box. I wonder what Hardy Heron will have in the end though... Even if I'm waiting really for 8.10 with the theme refresh they had in mind too. That looks interesting to see Ubuntu finally be Ubuntu and not just recoloured Clearlooks.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!