Photo
- - - - -

[help] Everything opening up in notepad.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewHerndon

AndrewHerndon

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:48 PM

Hey. I'm having some serious problems with my comp. I cant go to my control panel, I cant open some programs such as the replacer i tried using. I get the volume label syntax incorrect error. When i double click my clock, it opens up in notepad and says "/d shell32.dll,Control_Run timedate.cpl file". The same with options in the control panel. The programs and everything opening up in notepad made me think that it was a registry error with notepad. I looked around and didnt really find anything...then again, i didnt know what i was looking for. Someone please help me. This is pissing me off! :angry:

#2 AquaS

AquaS

AquaS

• 437 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:57 PM

Strange problem AndrewHerndon.
You should repair your Win XP.

#3 ashdevil77

ashdevil77

Reverend Ash d'Evil

• 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:28 PM

The :devil:'s Advices:
1. Reboot and press F8 while system's booting (just before boot screen will appear). From Menu that you'll see choose: "Last working configuration".
-> If that won't pass then ->
2. Do it when Your OS is on. Put a nice CD, with logo Microsoft Windows XP Whatever in CD-Rom and choose "Install Windows XP" (or somethin' like that). When You see window with possibility to "full install" or "upgrade". choose the 2nd option. This process is similar to first installation, so blabbing about whole reinstallation is unnecessary.
-> If Yu've done serious damage to Your PC, probably it's angry and fixing it won't be easy...->
3. (almost last) Do it while Your OS is on. Put a nice blah, blah, blah... (see 2nd advice), choose 1st option (remember to remove every non-shortcut from DESKTOP!!!!).
-> IF THAT WON'T PASS, WE ALL KNOW WHAT IT MEANS ->
4a. Use Norton Commander or something similar and delete Windows folder (be cruel - Your PC was). After that reboot using bootable OS CD and install Windows again.
!!!!4b - The last and the least advice... Reboot using old win98 or Me floppy. Do it with tears in your eyes: FORMAT YOUR OS HDD. Install Windows on formatted drive.
Probably adventures like that will set You a little bit anti-OS-customizing, but remember that before you'll do anyting stoopid, You can ask us if that won't damage your system. <- THIS WORDS WERE WRITTEN FOR ALL NEWBIES IN OUR WINDOWS CUSTOMIZERS' WORLD.
The :devil: has spoken. (And he's tired now).

#4 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:41 AM

Thanks to ashdevil77 for his Advices :lol:

Topic Splited

#5 ashdevil77

ashdevil77

Reverend Ash d'Evil

• 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:51 AM

The :devil: said:
Jatin, if I can help someone, it's always pleasure pour moi.

#6 ReynoldsM

ReynoldsM

Reynolds Medila

• Elites
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:33 PM

AndrewHerndon. Do you remember the last time when your windows was working correctly?
:devil: has forgotten to tell you about "System Restore" :D

Edit:
Hey I think "Last working configuration" and "System restore" are the same things. :unsure:

Edited by ReynoldsM, 13 April 2004 - 11:47 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!