I guess I just got lucky...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:39 PM

After I told my friend about my burned processor, he showed up this morning with an old computer of his, whcih he claims he never used. When he left I went ahead and plugged it in, and it churned for a while as the BIOS loaded, then it stopped when the progress bar reached the end. Nothing I press works, I just get the system beep. What gives? I know it must be something dead inside the machine, but what? Here are the specs I can tell so far:

Dell Dimension 8100
Intel Pentium 4 (?)Ghz
256MB RAM + two other sticks I can't tell (4 sticks total)
80GB Hard Drive
Sound Blaster 'Line!' (Model CT4780)
nVidia 32M AGP card (Model BRD05E15)

So far it's a nice upgrade for my secondary PC :lol:

But really, what's broken? :huh:

#2 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

take out all the plug-in cards and see if it boots then, if it does put the cards back in 1 by 1 and keep booting untill it gets stuck again, then remove the last card and that should be the problem, also try using 1 stick of ram, and then swapping them over aswell, if all else fails it might be the processor

#3 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

take out all the plug-in cards and see if it boots then, if it does put the cards back in 1 by 1 and keep booting untill it gets stuck again, then remove the last card and that should be the problem, also try using 1 stick of ram, and then swapping them over aswell, if all else fails it might be the processor

Just tried all possible combinations and still no boot... I guess this PC's CPU is blown or something... Either way, I dismantled it and scavenged it for good parts, and plugged them into my spare PC (including the 80GB HD). Still no 1Ghz+ CPU, but it's a nice upgrade for now. Some day when I'm bored I'll buy a used motherboard and CPU, one that has an AGP slot. :)

Edited by ShamusHand, 03 July 2007 - 10:38 PM.

#4 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:50 AM

Can't get everything, but be thankful for what you do get.

I'm off to party and later get ready for my VACATION :D

This month is going to be awesome.

I need to ask one thing though... On a six hour flight, do they show movies or do I need to load my Windows Mobile phone up with some?

#5 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:54 AM

Can't get everything, but be thankful for what you do get.

I'm off to party and later get ready for my VACATION :D

This month is going to be awesome.

I need to ask one thing though... On a six hour flight, do they show movies or do I need to load my Windows Mobile phone up with some?

Hehe, if I were you I'd get some before you went, because maybe you already saw that movie or it's a kiddie movie.

#6 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

Alas, there is hope! Fudging through my hardware closet, I found another motherboard, which also has a 933Mhz Pentium III CPU! Encouraged, I googled aand found that overclockers can change the voltage of their CPU's to make them faster, maybe I can change the voltage of my CPU and allow it to work??? But in BIOS, there is nothing about CPU voltage... what gives? :huh:

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!