Am I missing something here...?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

I don't understand, I have two old computers - one useless without HD, and the other working just fine. I was messing around with the useless one, when I realized it had a 933Mhz CPU (Versus 533Mhz on the one that works). So I checked and saw they both were Socket370, and put the 933Mhz CPU on the working one. As soon as plugged in the power, the PC started running, no lights on the front, PC screen on standby. Confused, I went ahead and put the out CPU in, and it worked perfectly. Is there something I should know?

Current CPU: Intel Celeron 533Mhz
Replacement CPU: Pentium III SL52Q 933Mhz

I would really like for this to work, a little extra performance would be nice. :lol:

#2 Drake Steele

Drake Steele

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

You may need to check your motherboard manual and see if there are any power level / bus speed jumpers on it that have to be changed in order to swap to a cpu of that speed... also it may be that the motherboard was not made to use one of that speed, since there's quite a jump in speed there. So you may need to see if there's a BIOS flash update available that may allow the motherboard to sense a chip at the new one's speeds.

Good luck!

#3 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

I don't have the manual, but there is a sticker inside the PC chassis with a chart about jumper information. What should I look for? :huh:

Edited by ShamusHand, 29 June 2007 - 06:09 PM.

#4 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

*Collapses to floor* Nooo!!! Turns out you can't upgrade a Celeron to a Pentium III, because they use different voltages... (In other news, the trials burned out the processor...) :cry:

#5 tominorlando

tominorlando

Active WinMatrixian

• 396 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:47 AM

Sorry to hear that, ShamusHand.

I've thought of doing the same thing and said to myself, "Why not?"

I was just lucky enough to have somebody around to tell me that you have to do your research first.

But at least now you know, and if someone asks you, you can point them in the right direction.

#6 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:42 AM

Sorry to hear that, ShamusHand.

I've thought of doing the same thing and said to myself, "Why not?"

I was just lucky enough to have somebody around to tell me that you have to do your research first.

But at least now you know, and if someone asks you, you can point them in the right direction.

I guess so, and at least it didn't destroy anything else, so the system stays the way it was. Maybe later on I'll upgrade, but both the motherboard and the CPU. :)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!