• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 imperez

imperez

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:28 AM

Well, I just moved into my own place and I have my computer all pretty much all the time, but I'm not usually on it. Sometimes I am and sometimes I am somewhere else in my apartment close by. I like to keep it on in case someone needs on me on messenger or I just feel like going on online or I need to do some work. So, as the title suggests I'd love some tips on how to keep my computer still running but not run up my electricity bill.

Any ideas? This can stem from getting a type of monitor or different equipment or just general tips that can help my current set up.

#2 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:52 AM

Get an LCD monitor. Set the Power Saving features to blank out your monitor after 1 minute idle time. Goto the Device Manager and disable all components that you don't use (Eg: Floppy Drive).

#3 imperez

imperez

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:03 AM

Get an LCD monitor. Set the Power Saving features to blank out your monitor after 1 minute idle time. Goto the Device Manager and disable all components that you don't use (Eg: Floppy Drive).

What would disabling those components do to help?

#4 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:16 AM

Turn of the monitor or buy a laptop. :whistle:

#5 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

What would disabling those components do to help?

Saves power and (theoretically) increases your performance.

#6 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

Disable screensavers, standby and hibernation, and whenever you're away turn off the monitor manually by the button. Turn off speakers, printer, scanners, and cameras connected to the PC. If possible, buy a PC with the Energy Star logo in the future, which consumes 70% less electricity that regular PC's. And like deXter said, LCD monitors use 1/3 the power standard monitors use. Hope these tips help! :)

#7 imperez

imperez

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:31 PM

Ah thanks a lot.

One last question. Do you know of a link or just general components that may or may not be good to disable? Me knowing me I'll probably break something if I go in blindly. lol

#8 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:48 PM

Only the floppy drive you don't use, anything else might be harmful to disable. :)

Things you could disable:

-Network adapters (ONLY if you use a USB router/card!)
-Sound devices (ONLY if you don't want sound!)
-CD drives (ONLY if you don't use you CD drive!)
In case you need any of these again, re-enable them in device manager.

Also, to save extra energy, do the following:

1. Open Run and type in: "Services.msc"
2. Disable "Indexing", which makes you HD consume more energy.
Note: Searches may be slower (In PC, not internet).

Hope this helps! :)

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!