DirectX 10 vs OpenGL 2.1 Graphics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 timbertide

timbertide

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,317 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

You have seen DirectX 10 vs DirectX 9 images.

Now check out OpenGL 2.1 vs. DirectX 10 / 9 graphics.

v4DhNX9.jpg

Image Mirror 1 | [2]

#2 Thomas - Dosanjh

Thomas - Dosanjh

Hope Runs Deep

• 225 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

Just Crazy WTFBBQFFS!?!?!

#3 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

I thought OpenGL was dead! :o

#4 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

DirectX 10 gots Competition GO OPENGL Will we still need a new GFX card for OpenGL 2.1

#5 Seventh Surfer

Seventh Surfer

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will support OpenGL 2.1

Nvidia Geforce 7 and 8 series cards support OpenGL 2.0 but Linux users can take advantage of the latest OpenGL 2.1 with these cards.

On Windows Vista, OpenGL performance will be significantly reduced, perhaps as much as 50%.

#6 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

On Windows Vista, OpenGL performance will be significantly reduced, perhaps as much as 50%.

Thats another thing that makes me unhappy about vista :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

#7 RND

RND

The RaNDom one

• 106 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

Maybe the new version of opengl will be more tuned to vista. Any ideas when its due to be released?

#8 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

Here we go a Article for further reading

What is going on with OpenGL right now is very exciting. This year will see two new versions of this venerable API. The first version due in July 2007 is Longs Peak (OpenGL 2.x). This is a major clean-up of the code after almost a decade and a half. Approximately three months after that we will see the release of Mount Evans (OpenGL 3.0) which will run specifically on hardware born after November 8th, 2006. We are talking about DirectX 10-class hardware, bringing all the features of unified 3D architecture to the world of OpenGL. Mount Evans is compatible with Longs Peak, but you will require OpenGL 3.0 class hardware to run everything.

OpenGL 3.0 will offer features such as instanced rendering, stream out of vertex data to a buffer, texture buffer objects, numerous new texture formats and so on. Most importantly the Khronos Group is linking OpenGL and OpenGL ES, a mobile 3D graphics API via COLLADA and glFX, so what is supported in OpenGL 3.0 will see the light of the day in ES version as well.

Source

Theres gonna be a 3.0 this year to

#9 Soduka

Soduka

WinMatrixian

• 65 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:15 AM

DX10 still has it beat but once OpenGL 3.0 comes out it might surpass it.

#10 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

Unbelievable! :rolleyes:

#11 human_arts

human_arts

WinMatrixian

• 243 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

Open gl looks very real :)

#12 RND

RND

The RaNDom one

• 106 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

Here we go a Article for further reading

What is going on with OpenGL right now is very exciting. This year will see two new versions of this venerable API. The first version due in July 2007 is Longs Peak (OpenGL 2.x). This is a major clean-up of the code after almost a decade and a half. Approximately three months after that we will see the release of Mount Evans (OpenGL 3.0) which will run specifically on hardware born after November 8th, 2006. We are talking about DirectX 10-class hardware, bringing all the features of unified 3D architecture to the world of OpenGL. Mount Evans is compatible with Longs Peak, but you will require OpenGL 3.0 class hardware to run everything.

OpenGL 3.0 will offer features such as instanced rendering, stream out of vertex data to a buffer, texture buffer objects, numerous new texture formats and so on. Most importantly the Khronos Group is linking OpenGL and OpenGL ES, a mobile 3D graphics API via COLLADA and glFX, so what is supported in OpenGL 3.0 will see the light of the day in ES version as well.

Source

Theres gonna be a 3.0 this year to

Thanks

#13 rahuljin

rahuljin

Active WinMatrixian

• 664 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

open gl looks better than dx10. cant believe :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

#14 punkrockerz

punkrockerz

-M-

• 486 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

open gl looks better than dx10. cant believe :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Its amazing

#15 HingVista

HingVista

Super WinMatrixian

• News Poster
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

John Carmack demonstrated a latest technology from id software at Apple's WWDC 2007. The game uses a brand new engine called "id Tech 5" that allows developers to use 20 GB of textures in a single level. The game is in development for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Mac OS X.
OpenGL is cross platform, so it is a good news for Mac users. :)
The video

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:57 AM

Looks nice.

#17 idawn

idawn

Active WinMatrixian

• 379 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:47 AM

Man i cant believe my eyes...! Opengl looks too good to me...!

#18 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

These OpenGL screenshots are not real-time rendered. Some of these pictures are from from Mudbox Gallery
Posted Image

Edited by Razor VinT, 18 June 2007 - 12:15 PM.

#19 TheRealSceneGraphManager

TheRealSceneGraphManager

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

John Carmack demonstrated a latest technology from id software at Apple's WWDC 2007. The game uses a brand new engine called "id Tech 5" that allows developers to use 20 GB of textures in a single level. The game is in development for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Mac OS X.
OpenGL is cross platform, so it is a good news for Mac users. :)

It's called Megatexturing. A very primitive version shows up in Doom 3 and Quake 4. This is also one of the 'big things' surrounding Quake Wars. Also I believe 20GB of textures is more than a slightly ridiculous claim. Carmack's good at what he does, no debate there, but he isn't God. You don't even have that much space on a dual-layer DVD, let alone the 1GB that some soon-to-be-released high-end GFX cards will have (thinking of the Radeon HD 2900XTX here in particular) I think I remember the figure 64,000pix x 64,000pix being quoted somewhere, but it'd probably be in the several hundred megabyte range when compressed reasonably well (estimate for DXT1 maybe, I'm no expert in OpenGL compression algorithms)

Also I hate to burst the bubble of those that like OpenGL, but-
A- Most of those pictures posted probably weren't even rendered with OpenGL 2.1, considering that MAX doesn't even have support for it yet (I think, I could be wrong on this one though, correct me if I am)
B- Building off of the previous point, everything but the Hellknight(?) and maybe the 1st face weren't even rendered in real-time. "But how do you know," you say. Well if we head on over to our friend Google and look up the name that appears in the corner of the Cosmonaut picture, (the fact that it was used as a Mudbox demo like Razor said was what originally tipped me off to the fact that something was up, I also vaguely remembered seeing the mecha-soldier type thing in a faked Doom 4 screencap) Fausto de Martini, we see in his gallery of SOFTWARE-RAYTRACED MODELS FROM 3DS MAX/MUDBOX most of what got posted.

Sorry to come off as an arse on my first post, but please do some homework, thanks. XD
I also encourage debate here, I'm an indie game developer with a specialization in AI and real-time 3D graphics. It's what I love and I try and make an effort to educate how all the cool stuff you see in Gears, 300, Crysis and all the other big AAA titles (movie and game, the core math and theory is more or less the same for both) actually ticks.
I also like DirectX in the event you haven't figured it out :P Whooooooo corporate sellout or whatever!

EDIT: Scratch that, the hellknight wasn't either.

Edited by TheRealSceneGraphManager, 18 June 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#20 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

I'm a big fan of OpenGL because I keep waiting for all my games to be Linux friendly. Now that I have a Mac as well, I always beg for games to support it to make for easy conversions.

I think every Dev should make the games support OpenGL but I guess in the interest of their money it's just cheaper to use DX considering 99% of users will never even see the option to switch to OpenGL.

The one thing that suprised me the most was how well tuned the Unreal Engine 3 does with DX9! Granted, it's not nearly as fine as it is with DX10, but it still looks amazing! I'm waiting to buy DX10 hardware for when UT3 is released so I can run on full settings, but it's good to know I can still enjoy the graphics with a lower series video card.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!