Need some help with PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:46 PM

Gosh, sometime I feel like a total PC n33b!

Either way, I have several questions:

1. How come when I plug in a a new hard drive, neither it or the CD drive work? The CD drive works fine, but not when I plug in the HD. I even configured BIOS, checked the IDE cable, and nothing! Could it be HD failure?

2. What does Ubuntu have that Xubuntu doesn't? All I know is that Ubuntu uses Gnome and Xubuntu uses XCFE. Is it as easy to install as Ubuntu? Will it crash with an unsupported video card (like openSUSE)? It would be better to have Xubuntu for my old 256MB RAM machine, so I was just wondering.

All help would be appreciated, as my summer's goal is to get familiar with Linux! :)

#2 Shinde

Shinde

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,521 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:18 PM

1. May be a HD crash or you need a better power supply...

2. Xubuntu is based on XFCE which is light weight and runs good on low-end computers. 256MB RAM is enough for it. You can know more about it here.

#3 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

The main thing is, is it as easy to install as ubuntu? Because I tried openSUSE and it crashed three times during the install, because of my video card.

#4 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:37 PM

I've made some discoveries about certain problems I have with ubuntu (which btw I'll stick with for awhile).

It turns out my intergrated Graphics card doesn't have a driver available with install, so I need to get in online. But, once again, I don't have internet yet! How do I get that driver for "Intel Corporation 82810 CGC" and "Intel Corporation 82810 GMCH" (Which is what I get with 'lspci' in the terminal)?

It has to be a way to download it on a Windows machine and install in ubuntu via USB drive/CD...

And, just wondering, is there and chance of getting Beryl or Compiz on this integrated card? :whistle:

Edit: YES! Beryl is possible on this card!!! Boy, this is gonna be a long summer break! :lol:

Edited by ShamusHand, 06 June 2007 - 11:39 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!