Help me please...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

My friend has recently given me an old emachines PC with Windows 98 installed. I plugged it in and it worked nicely. Then I realized this is what I've been waiting for - a PC to install Linux in. Well everything goes perfect, until the setup locks up and I had to reboot. Now here's the real issue - nothing boots. It just hang in the white screen with the emachines logo, until I open the CD drive. Otherwise, nothing happens. If I boot into the Hard drive, I get a blank screen saying "Missing operating system". Fine, this is how it's supposed to be - I formatted the drive. But when I boot into the CD drive, it just dumps me into the "missing operating system" screen. This happens with all the CD's I have - openSUSE, Ubuntu, XP. I'm really confused by this, what is going on? I even Googled it, but the only instance I found didn't have the solution... :blink:

Edited by ShamusHand, 27 May 2007 - 11:52 PM.

#2 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:06 AM

hmm.. what is the order of your boot startup?

Also, if your computer starts up fine with the cd drive open, try loading the pc up to the "Missing OS" appears and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to manual restart it. Then put your live Ubuntu disc in the drive and close it. Sometimes this works for me when dealing with old PCs.

#3 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:08 AM

1. ATAPI CD/ROM Drive
2. Removable Drives
3. Hard Drives

That's what I see in the BIOS.

#4 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:26 AM

1. ATAPI CD/ROM Drive
2. Removable Drives
3. Hard Drives

That's what I see in the BIOS.

Your order is right. Have you also tried to boot into the CD by pressing F12 at the startup?

Also, try going into your System Setup and restore the defaults.

#5 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:13 AM

Yes, I've tried F12, that's how I booted into the CD drive...

But your solution worked - pressing ctrl+alt+del at the "missing os" screen with CD open, even though I need to repeat it three times until I boot into CD. Thanks! :)

#6 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:32 AM

Yes, I've tried F12, that's how I booted into the CD drive...

But your solution worked - pressing ctrl+alt+del at the "missing os" screen with CD open, even though I need to repeat it three times until I boot into CD. Thanks! :)

You're Welcome

#7 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the help man! Turns out the issue was the CD-Rom drive was broken... I wondereed why the install hung on 6% for half an hour... :rolleyes:

Good thing I had another one handy... installing right now!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!