Vista vs. XP in Performace Test

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Mike1287

Mike1287

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

Windows XP was a new operating system. Windows Vista is a new operating system.

Windows XP had a slew of problems when it was released. Windows Vista has a number of problems now that it's released.

People said XP was crap. People say Vista is crap.

Windows XP is now the most widely used operating system, and some would say the most stable. Windows Vista will become the most widely used operating system and the most stable.

See the pattern?

I've been using Windows Vista and Ubuntu for 3 months. In that time period, Ubuntu has frozen more than 6 times and required a restart. My kernel.log has shown nothing wrong. In that same time, Windows Vista has not frozen once.

In my opinion, Windows Vista is getting a bad rap. I feel that once people started trashing it as a worthless OS and comparing it to Windows ME, people just hopped on the "I hate Vista' bandwagon. Many of the issues people claim to be having are not the fault of the OS, but due to poor driver support. Furthermore, don't expect to run a new OS that is supposed to last 3+ years on your old Dell Pentium 2. Lastly, having used Windows 3.1-Windows Vista, Windows Vista is by far one of the best operating system experiences I have had and I look forward to SP1 making it even better.

Do your homework and you will find that Windows Vista is far from the crap-tacular software people claim.

Edited by Mike1287, 27 May 2007 - 04:03 PM.

#22 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

Lab Tests: Vista's Fast If You Have the Hardware

#23 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

"Do your homework and you will find that Windows Vista is far from the crap-tacular software people claim."

Vista is OK. But I think Ubuntu offers more. Besides the nice effects, Ubuntu let's you do more if you know how to work it. Windows is designed for anyone to use which knocks Ubuntu out of the game for now. My friend saw Ubuntu and loved everything that I did to it, but was scared to even attempt to do what I've already achieved on it. It just really matters on the person using the system. I've had Vista crash on me more times than Ubuntu.

I have a P4 2.9 GHz with 512 MB. NVIDIA GE Force 5200. I got to see Aero and all the nice effects of VIsta. After awhile Vista started running real slow after a lot of programs was installed. Sometimes it wouldn't let me load more than 3 windows at a time depending on the programs. Some of my windows would turn to a white shade for a few seconds not letting me use it and sometimes my taskbar would go whacky. I'm sorry, but Ubuntu has never slowed down on me or went completely crazy that I had to shut it down. The only time I can remember Ubuntu messing up is when I've played online 3d shooter games for a long time. Besides that I can run a movie, write my final paper, draw graphics, still use the 3d skydome and visual effects at full speed and more without slow downs.

I've had nothing but a bad taste for Vista since it came out. I see the Microsoft pattern, but one day that pattern will change. And it won't be pretty for M$

"Lab Tests: Vista's Fast If You Have the Hardware"

LOL! Says enough. Come spend hundreds to thousands to run our system that has graphic effects that other OSes have with lesser system requirements.

Come On! I been a Windows fan boy for a long time and even I think it's BS.

There are lots of people out here who can't afford a PC. Some people are still on Windows 2000 and even 98. Some people are not as fortunate as some of us who can blow money on any new graphics card or OS.

The only thing I don't like about Linux Ubuntu is the install of programs. If that was easier, Ubuntu will be a lot more user friendly. Which I know over time it will become as easy as Windows with one click.

Edited by yanike, 28 May 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#24 Mike1287

Mike1287

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

It's been proven that it's not expensive to upgrade your computer to get Vista to run well. You can get 1GB of ram for $65 and an AERO capable graphic card for around the same price. Even if you had to buy a whole new computer because your motherboard couldn't handle a new processor/GPU/CPU, there are excellent Vista computers available for less than $450 dollars. I'd say that's a reasonable price.

I'm sorry, but if you're still using Windows 95, 98, even Windows 2000, you're going to need to face the facts sooner or later and upgrade, and not necessarily to a new operating system, but your hardware. In a few years we are going to be looking at hard drive sizes in terabytes standard, 16+ core CPUs, and graphics cards 10 times faster than any high-end SLI setup now.

I've got a computer that I bought with Windows 98 on it that I upgraded to XP and it barely loads Firefox and Gaim (stripped down AIM client), and this is with a clean install of XP. I couldn't imagine what some people are running out there. Honestly I'm not bad mouthing anyone because I'm just as guilty of this as anyone, but let's try to keep things in perspective.

Edited by Mike1287, 28 May 2007 - 04:15 PM.

#25 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

It's been proven that it's not expensive to upgrade your computer to get Vista to run well. You can get 1GB of ram for $65 and an AERO capable graphic card for around the same price. Even if you had to buy a whole new computer because your motherboard couldn't handle a new processor/GPU/CPU, there are excellent Vista computers available for less than $450 dollars. I'd say that's a reasonable price.

I'm sorry, but if you're still using Windows 95, 98, even Windows 2000, you're going to need to face the facts sooner or later and upgrade, and not necessarily to a new operating system, but your hardware. In a few years we are going to be looking at hard drive sizes in terabytes standard, 16+ core CPUs, and graphics cards 10 times faster than any high-end SLI setup now.

I've got a computer that I bought with Windows 98 on it that I upgraded to XP and it barely loads Firefox and Gaim (stripped down AIM client), and this is with a clean install of XP. I couldn't imagine what some people are running out there. Honestly I'm not bad mouthing anyone because I'm just as guilty of this as anyone, but let's try to keep things in perspective.

Upgrade to Vista to get the same performance than Windows XP or 2000. ???!!!!

No my young apprentice like you said you bougt a computer with windows 98 and then you upgrated to XP, that's what i like of Windows XP you can use it in any hardware with 256 of memory ram and you don't need to waste your money on an operating system that only look better (for a few people only)

#26 Mike1287

Mike1287

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

No my young apprentice like you said you bougt a computer with windows 98 and then you upgrated to XP, that's what i like of Windows XP you can use it in any hardware with 256 of memory ram and you don't need to waste your money on an operating system that only look better (for a few people only)

Windows Vista takes advantage of CPUs and GPUs more so than any other operating system by Microsoft before it, so no, you won't be able to do what you did with XP (and I don't think this is unreasonable at all). Comparing the two, as you have done, is improper.

#27 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

Windows Vista takes advantage of CPUs and GPUs more so than any other operating system ...

Yes!! that's right but just to see a transparent windows :whistle: men. Visto waste your resources, it just my opinion. May be in three year I'll use Windows Seven :D

#28 Mike1287

Mike1287

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:14 AM

It's not necessarily for the AERO effect. Vista uses a computers available resources in the most efficient manner over any previous Windows operating system. one example is using a systems memory more efficiently to help speed up application load times. You can argue that Vista requires better hardware for nothing but transparency, but it's not only that. Not only would a hardware upgrade cost less than $130 bucks as I stated earlier, but would also be well worth the investment for the aforementioned enhancements.

Karonxp-consider what I've said before you respond. It seems that you disregard my earlier posts to try and make your point. Please do your homework.

http://www.winsupers...invista_05c.asp <<If you fall under the "Flinstones" category, spend the money for a new GPU and some memory and you're all set.

Edited by Mike1287, 29 May 2007 - 12:20 AM.

#29 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:19 AM

It's not necessarily for the AERO effect. Vista uses a computers available resources in the most efficient manner over any previous Windows operating system. one example is using a systems memory more efficiently to help speed up application load times. You can argue that Vista requires better hardware for nothing but transparency, but it's not only that. Not only would a hardware upgrade cost less than $130 bucks as I stated earlier, but would also be well worth the investment for the aforementioned enhancements.

Karonxp-consider what I've said before you respond. It seems that you disregard my earlier posts to try and make your point. Please do your homework.

http://www.winsupers...invista_05c.asp <<If you fall under the "Flinstones" category, spend the money for a new GPU and some memory and you're all set.

I'm sorry but my computer doesn't fall under the flintstone category. Even my friend who has 1 GB of ram and a faster processor than my P4 says Vista is still sluggish sometimes. Microsoft needs to get their OS together and running right before I even think twice about sliding that Installation disc back into my PC. They say it's better, but the OS can't even speak for itself.

It's best just to wait until SP1 to really start judging.

All I know is that the system requirements better come down or my Vista disc is going on eBay. No need to have an Operating System that only runs right with top of the line PCs. It's sad that I'm saying that with a Pentium 4 PC.

There is no reason why Aero should be running sluggish as it does on my PC. If Windowblinds on Windows and even Emerald themes on Ubuntu can run graphics perfectly on my pc and still have live video in the taskbar and more, Vista should do the same.

M$ can save the BS for someone else's ears.

#30 Mike1287

Mike1287

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:24 AM

Your point is taken yanike.

But I bet if your friend popped in another 512 MB he'd have no problem =).

Edited by Mike1287, 29 May 2007 - 04:24 AM.

#31 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

Mike1287 I dont want to use Vista, I dont need a SO that waste my resources. This thread is about "performance".

Winsupersite and Paul Thurrott aren't very professional they work for Microsoft giving only the god news of Microsoft's operating system but what hapen with bad news? ah!!! the thing is different. Other people more professional reviewed and benchmarked both operating system and they have a more impartial point of view .

Just thing this. If Windows Vista give us the same performance than XP, do you really need it?? May be if you know about computer the answer is "not".

Windows XP with 512mg of ram works better than any Vista version.

Let me tell you a lite secret, one of the reason because I hate Vista it's the ugly GUI that Vista use. I don't like star menu, windows, aero, icons that kind of thing don't means nothing for me.

Please Mike1287 if you want to know about computer dont read Paul Thurrott, he doesnt know nothing about computer. He only shows "screenshot" of new Microsoft's Products.

bye

#32 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

Windows Vista takes advantage of CPUs and GPUs more so than any other operating system ...

Yes!! that's right but just to see a transparent windows :whistle: men. Visto waste your resources, it just my opinion. May be in three year I'll use Windows Seven :D

Not to mention Aero is more stable than the XP interface by using a GPU rather than the CPU to render the effects.........

Plus Paul Thurrott does give us the negative side of Vista here: Clicky

Edited by Frylock86, 29 May 2007 - 02:38 PM.

#33 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

Not to mention Aero is more stable than the XP interface by using a GPU rather than the CPU to render the effects.........

Plus Paul Thurrott does give us the negative side of Vista here: Clicky

Yes, I've read it but what kind of criticism is that?? It's only a subjective opinion, it's only a dummy opinion.

If you want to know a good criticism use google and find professional articles with professional and imparcial people. In America there's a lot off of unprofessional journalist specially on consumer electronics products that only show what your eyes can see.

I want to show the truth about Vista, and truth is very different against Microsoft's Marketing.

bye

#34 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

Your point is taken yanike.

But I bet if your friend popped in another 512 MB he'd have no problem =).
------------------------

dude! do you read what you post. All you keep saying is to add more memory when it's not needed. Do you work for Microsoft or one it's friend companies?

Because what you are saying makes no sense.

Pretty much your saying make your computer fast as s** to run this poorly developed OS. Once you have a computer that can take you to the next galaxy, you will see none of Vista problems.

LOL

Aero more stable than XP's. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in the world are you talking about?!

I think you are just captured by the look of Vista and not really what's under the hood of it. XP does not run as good as XP yet. Close, but not yet.

SP1 will really prove Vista's Power. Let's just hope the WOW really shows for it then. I was not WOWed after the 2 day of usage. I was really expecting to use nothing else but Vista after I got it. Thinking finally I can run all my programs like XP with a faster, secure and stable OS. Boy was I disappointed! Then Sendo72 shined bright lights like Heaven's to Ubuntu and that's when I really got the WOW! I was expecting from Vista... S*** Microsoft for years.

Edited by yanike, 29 May 2007 - 05:22 PM.

#35 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

Windows Vista System Performance Reports

Read this article the conclusion is this.

Final Thoughts

I don't necessarily recommend Vista to anyone at this point in time, simply because it's not needed. In the two months that I've been using it full time on my Windows machine, I've run into too many weird bugs that I would have liked to have avoided. This ranges from applications not working, quirky UI glitches or hardware drivers not working as well as they should.

You can read fully article here

Another article from Tom's Hardware

If you really need your PC to finish huge encoding, transcoding or rendering workloads within a defined time frame, yes, it is. Don't do it; stay with XP.

The full article here

bye

Edited by kaironxp, 29 May 2007 - 06:35 PM.

#36 Mike1287

Mike1287

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:51 AM

I'm enjoying my system running Windows Vista--I just feel the OS has a bad rap because so many people read foul and just jump on the bandwagon.

Edited by Mike1287, 30 May 2007 - 01:55 AM.

#37 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:39 AM

I'm enjoying my system running Windows Vista--I just feel the OS has a bad rap because so many people read foul and just jump on the bandwagon.

I'm speaking from experience! I don't go by word of mouth. By the way, after reading a few things, Vista isn't that bad, but it's still not great . It's the 3rd party support of drivers making it worse. Vista is running off of Beta Drivers still. Nothing to me has a great status of GM yet. I'm sure and hope, by SP1 we will see impressive drivers and a more stable Vista.

Edited by yanike, 30 May 2007 - 03:02 AM.

#38 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:11 AM

Looks like its just you and me then. :ph34r:

This happend with XP too. Everyone said it was crap, then the service packs came. I'll admit XP SP2 was the best Windows OS I've used prior to Vista. I hope too, that once the Vista Service Packs start rolling off the line, we'll see an even better OS.....

Edited by Frylock86, 30 May 2007 - 03:14 AM.

#39 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:13 AM

I might join you guys again if XP keeps acting weird. I still can't seem to find the problem for the sudden freezings.

#40 Frylock86

Frylock86

WinMatrixian 1337

• 3,075 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

I might join you guys again if XP keeps acting weird. I still can't seem to find the problem for the sudden freezings.

Yeah, I saw your post. You positive you can't do a restore?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!