• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theninjainme

theninjainme

New WinMatrixian

• 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

I wanted to gather some information and opinions on custom computer building:

a) Do you know of any sites that do completely custom computers, and if so, what are they. (I am aware of http://www.pugetsystems.com and from what I can tell they overprice the computers a lot, making a big prophet.)

B) Would you, yourself, order a completely custom built computer with any hardware/software/accessories you desired for a very small amount above cost? (example: a computer with all the parts you want costs $1200. Then there is a 10-15% building fee, plus shipping coming out to maybe $1450)

I really enjoy building computers and was thinking of doing this, not to make loads of money and to become a giant computer manufacturer, but to have some extra money in my pocket and for the utter enjoyment.

Please let me know your opinions and thank you in advance.

-Tim

#2 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

Coming from a Dell user, the recent HP notebooks seem to be very powerful and cheap. The desktops are also pretty good. But personally, I'd wait a while until SSD/Hybrid hard drives become mainstream because that is the future and will speed your computer by 2-3 times, regardless of processing power, etc.

You could sell the HPs for a lot overprice, buy picking the cheapest laptop, and getting the highest level processor, and selling it for like $500 more, cause people are really stupid. I did the same thing and he seemed to think it was an unbelievable deal...

Edited by WinMatrics, 20 May 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#3 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

I really enjoy building computers and was thinking of doing this, not to make loads of money and to become a giant computer manufacturer, but to have some extra money in my pocket and for the utter enjoyment.

Thats the same reason i'm doing it, i usually earn less than 100 euro's when building a pc for someone.
Most of the time they leave there 'old' computer behind and i can use items (like dvd-roms etc.)
of those for other pc's.
That way i can earn a little extra by selling those items again when building a new one.

After building a computer for 'them' i usually do the maintenance aswell
(cleaning it up, making it spyware / virus free every once in a while...)

I hope this info helps...

#4 theninjainme

theninjainme

New WinMatrixian

• 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

thanks for any feedback.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!