USB ports messing up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sumint620

Sumint620

New WinMatrixian

• 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

I have a feeling that this is a problem on my desktop (HP running vista) because everything works on my dad's laptop (which is running vista as well). I just got a new ipod and when i try and plug it into my computer, a get a normal windows found new hardware and the locate and install drivers, ask later, and don't show again message. i didn't think this was supposed to happen for ipods but anyway, i search and nothing. i look in device manager and the ipod is shown in "Other devices" and it has a yellow triangle with an ! in the middle. this doesn't look good. i then tried to hook the ipod up on my dad's laptop and everything works perfectly. the windows found new hardware pop-up didn't even show up and i can transfer songs. does anybody know what is wrong with my USB ports? i've also got something else that is a bit annoying. in my computer, under "devices with removable storage" it lists 4 removable disks like they are flash drives but when i click on them, it says connect a device. its not a big deal i would just like them to go away when nothing is connected.

thanks

#2 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

have you installed itunes? and have you installed the software that the ipod came with?

#3 Sumint620

Sumint620

New WinMatrixian

• 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

i have installed itunes and the ipod didn't come with any software. the news ipods don't anymore. i also forgot to mention that my sister's ipod (a 30gb photo) works just fine.

#4 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:49 AM

Keep your ipod connected, boot your PC using Knoppix and see if Knoppix detects it? Check if you're able to use the ipod in knoppix. This way you'll know if it's a problem with the hardware or windows.

http://www.knopper.n...s/index-en.html

#5 Sumint620

Sumint620

New WinMatrixian

• 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:29 AM

well i've already got an ubuntu 6.06 cd so i'll just use that. i'll post back tomorrow with results

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!